Another Deadlift Check

This video’s already up in my log, but I figured if I put it here more people might see it.

I’m trying to use more leg drive to come off the floor and stop my hips rising too fast.

This triple felt pretty good, any comments welcome. It’s around 85% of my max.

A side view would be a bit better but I think overall it’s fine, are you normally a conventional puller? What’s helped mine lately has just been focusing on vertical shin angle, which you do pretty well. As far as hips rising too fast I used to worry about that more than necessary, the way I see it your hips are going to go to their strongest position to pull and use your leverages.

It looks like your hips are fine. It seems like you may be forcing your hips to stay down before initiating when it may be stronger when your shins are slightly closer to vertical - I don’t know for sure and I’m just taking a guess. It would be easier to tell from the side to see your shoulders, hips and the bar.

But do not force yourself to start at a higher hip position if you can’t keep everything tight or you feel weaker. I normally exaggerate pulling down my hips too because it helps to keep things tight. Some people say this is wrong since it looks like a person is trying to squat the weight up but I only do it to get tight.

Thanks guys. I’m not really forcing my hips down but more trying to get as much leg drive off the floor before I start standing up. I’m also trying to keep my weight much more behind the bar.

If I don’t do this, my hips shoot up and I lose a bunch of power because my legs do much much less.

[quote]MarkKO wrote:
Thanks guys. I’m not really forcing my hips down but more trying to get as much leg drive off the floor before I start standing up. I’m also trying to keep my weight much more behind the bar.

If I don’t do this, my hips shoot up and I lose a bunch of power because my legs do much much less. [/quote]

I see what you mean. Looking at it again your shoulders and hips do stay in a strong position and it’s working for you. Keep it up.

You are one of the most awkward pullers I’ve ever seen. With that being said, that form suits your proportions and strengths. The only thing I can find, and this is a grey zone, but try not to start your hips so low. You start your hips low, then the bar looks like it is stuck on the floor as your hips rise to an optimal range, then you break it off the floor once they’ve reached that optimal range. You might want to try that out AFTER your meet to see if it helps, but what you are doing isn’t exactly bad, even Ed Coan did that when he was forced to switch to conventional.

I think form checks this close to the meet is not that good of an idea though, you’ve picked your form, and you’ve been hammering it in. There’s no glaring issues at sub maximal weight, so you have to take it into the meet and see what you get.

[quote]Destrength wrote:
You are one of the most awkward pullers I’ve ever seen. With that being said, that form suits your proportions and strengths. The only thing I can find, and this is a grey zone, but try not to start your hips so low. You start your hips low, then the bar looks like it is stuck on the floor as your hips rise to an optimal range, then you break it off the floor once they’ve reached that optimal range. You might want to try that out AFTER your meet to see if it helps, but what you are doing isn’t exactly bad, even Ed Coan did that when he was forced to switch to conventional.

I think form checks this close to the meet is not that good of an idea though, you’ve picked your form, and you’ve been hammering it in. There’s no glaring issues at sub maximal weight, so you have to take it into the meet and see what you get.[/quote]

Thanks man! You’re right about the hips, but I have a tendency to pull SO high hipped this kind of stops that. But like you said, it suits me as a style. I just like to get ongoing feedback. The more eyes, the more perspectives that might catch something I’m missing.

The way it feels, the pull like this is midway between sumo and high hipped conventional, kind of with the best of both worlds.