Another Critique My Diet

I am about 5’8" and weigh about 155 LBS. My BF I would guess is between 10-12%. My goal is to gain muscle with minimal fat gains, just like most people on this board. Here is a typical diet day for me. Note that the diet will change from day to day.

5:30- 6:00 breakfast:
2 whole eggs scrambled with nonfat cheese. 1 to 1 1/2 servings of Oatmeal mixed with milk and splenda. Sometimes I will eat a “healthier” cold cereal such as grapnuts.

Around 9:00 to 9:30 (midmorning
Protein drink: 1 cup skim or 1% milk 1 to 1 1/2 scoop protein powder (MRM low carb protein pwdr) 1 banana and a fat source such as Peanut butter, almond butter, two eggs or a tablespoon of UDOs oil. Sometimes I will add dry oatmeal.

Lunch.
This meal various. I try to eat meal that consist of 20-40 grams protein, 30-60 grams of carbs and about 15-20 grams of fat. This is my non-workout day lunch. My lunch pre and post workout is 1 cup water mixed with 8 ounces juice, 1 tbls spoon honey and about 1 1/2 scoop or 30 grams protein powder. I drink half during my workout and the rest after my workout. I know Surge would be much better.

Mid afternoon.
Same as midmorning.

Dinner.
About the same as lunch

Before Bed:
Usually nonfat cottage cheese mixed with nonfat, sugar free yogurt. A source of fat. Either tablespoon of PB or 1/2 of an avocado.

Note: I try to get veggies when ever possible. When I don’t feel like eating my veggies I will drink low sodium V8. Right now I am using Perfects Food greens formula (not the best tasting stuff).

how many k/cals are you getting looks kinda low are you gaining??

other than that food sources arent horrid look to be getting your fats etc. Get the veggies and fruit in etc

Phill

I am not gaining. I think I need to add in more carbs at breakfast and add a slow burning carb at night, and I need to be conscious of my fruit and veggie intake.

It’s really very simple. Are you getting 200 gms. of protein a day? Are you gaining .5 to 1.0 pounds per week. If you’re not, then your diet isn’t working. Add more calories until you gain weight.

Trial-and-error is the only thing that works.

Alright, thing about it this way man. You are trying to gain, so… whats the solution here bud? The normal person burns 2000 calories a day just doing normal activities. If you are busting your ass in the gym, thats another 1k-2k calories. So… you need to be eating atleast 3000-4000 calories a day here bud to be gaining weight, anything under that you will be maintaining weight or LOSING it.

Gaining lean muscle will take a long time man if you plan on not putting on any fat. It aint the worst thing in the world to put on alittle body fat while you are trying to get the pounds up there. Sit down and actually take a look at your diet… work out the calories, the grams of fat, protein, and carbs.

Here’s a little conversion help for ya…

1. 4 cal/gm protein
  2. 4 cal/gm carb
  3. 9 cal/gm fat

After you get some more stats up there bud we can help ya alittle more. It’s more important that you sit down and work this out so you know how to fix it. If we just do it for ya you aint gona learn very much.

Thanks for replys. I know how many cals pro, carbs and fats have. In my estimate I conusume about 2500 cals per. day. Looking at my breakfast, I think I need to add in more protien, and I think I need to add in more carbs to my protien drinks.

Well bro, I’d say that you need to start eatin a lot more than you have been. 2500 cal is what the normal person consumes everyday just to maintain weight. I know that its supposed to be 2000, but we live in a world of fatties and whitebread. I’d say atleast 3k man. I usually eat about 6-8 eggs for breakfast; 1c oatmeal w/ sweet&low and cinnamon; 1pt whole milk; 1pc. fruit.
If you are going to front load your days then make sure you supercharge your breakfast.

Shit, gotta run to class…

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
It’s really very simple. Are you getting 200 gms. of protein a day? Are you gaining .5 to 1.0 pounds per week. If you’re not, then your diet isn’t working. Add more calories until you gain weight.

Trial-and-error is the only thing that works.[/quote]

Agreed.

To the OP- Look at your previous post:

[quote]gmantheman wrote:
I am not gaining. I think I need to add in more carbs at breakfast and add a slow burning carb at night, and I need to be conscious of my fruit and veggie intake.[/quote]

You say you’re not gaining- but you are concerned about adding in the right carbs at breakfast and being more conscious of your fruit intake? Uggh. Just plain eat more food. It really doesn’t get any simpler than that.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
CaliforniaLaw wrote:

Agreed.

gmantheman wrote:
I am not gaining. I think I need to add in more carbs at breakfast and add a slow burning carb at night, and I need to be conscious of my fruit and veggie intake.

You say you’re not gaining- but you are concerned about adding in the right carbs at breakfast and being more conscious of your fruit intake? Uggh. Just plain eat more food. It really doesn’t get any simpler than that.[/quote]

Agree completely. I hate when people post I am going to eat exactly two eggs for breakfast, one can of tuna for lunch etc. etc. It shows a lack of the understanding of overall calories, fat, protein, and carb, intake.

If you want to get big just make sure from your waking meal to your last meal of the day you are getting thirty to fifty grams of protein per meal. For your first four meals of the day combine that with an adequate amount of healthy carbs like vegetables and or whole grain breads and fruits. For the later meals combine with adequate healthy fats, almonds walnuts, olive oil, Flameout, Salmon or Tuna (good fats and protein).

Eat like that and lift heavy and intensely and you will grow.

D

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
CaliforniaLaw wrote:

Agreed.

gmantheman wrote:

You say you’re not gaining- but you are concerned about adding in the right carbs at breakfast and being more conscious of your fruit intake? Uggh. Just plain eat more food. It really doesn’t get any simpler than that.[/quote]
I met I need to eat more fruits and veggies. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

[quote]Dedicated wrote:
eengrms76 wrote:
CaliforniaLaw wrote:

Agreed.

gmantheman wrote:

You say you’re not gaining- but you are concerned about adding in the right carbs at breakfast and being more conscious of your fruit intake? Uggh. Just plain eat more food. It really doesn’t get any simpler than that.

Agree completely. I hate when people post I am going to eat exactly two eggs for breakfast, one can of tuna for lunch etc. etc. It shows a lack of the understanding of overall calories, fat, protein, and carb, intake.

If you want to get big just make sure from your waking meal to your last meal of the day you are getting thirty to fifty grams of protein per meal. For your first four meals of the day combine that with an adequate amount of healthy carbs like vegetables and or whole grain breads and fruits. For the later meals combine with adequate healthy fats, almonds walnuts, olive oil, Flameout, Salmon or Tuna (good fats and protein).

Eat like that and lift heavy and intensely and you will grow.

D [/quote]

I do eat more than two eggs for breakfast and a can of tuna at lunch. I consume about 500 cals for breakfast and about 400-600 cals for lunch. I will start eating about 500 cals more per day and moniter my weight.

You should see some better results from the increase.

Take care,

D