T Nation

Another Challenger for Bolton?

http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/node/9492

Iran’s 100% RAW affiliate President Arian Salarian indicates that Iranian weightlifting legend Hossein Rezazadeh may compete next year at the 2009 100% RAW World Championships. Rezazadeh, SHW, is a multi-time gold medal winner in the Olympics. He currently holds the world records in the snatch, clean and jerk, and total.

Salarian: “Unfortunately we can not compete this year Because get visa for Iranian is very Hard. But next year sure. We are Compete with Special team. I think Hossein Rezazadeh can compete with us.”

Salarian lists Rezazadeh’s best raw lifts as a 859 pound squat, 484 bench press, and 837 pound deadlift.

I wonder if that squat is high-bar and ATG? And what Reza’s technique is like. There is a video of Reza back squatting 320kgx2 ATG from a couple years back.

Can you even IMAGINE what this guy is capable of with a few years of powerlifting training under his belt? And if he moves to multi-ply? holy shit!

Don’t flame me for the title, I’m getting excited and ahead of myself here

I really hope this is true

[quote]actionjeff wrote:

Iran’s 100% RAW affiliate President Arian Salarian indicates that Iranian weightlifting legend Hossein Rezazadeh may compete next year at the 2009 100% RAW World Championships. Rezazadeh, SHW, is a multi-time gold medal winner in the Olympics. He currently holds the world records in the snatch, clean and jerk, and total.

Salarian: “Unfortunately we can not compete this year Because get visa for Iranian is very Hard. But next year sure. We are Compete with Special team. I think Hossein Rezazadeh can compete with us.”

Salarian lists Rezazadeh’s best raw lifts as a 859 pound squat, 484 bench press, and 837 pound deadlift.

Me too. I’m really looking forward to seeing this.
I wonder if that squat is high-bar and ATG? And what Reza’s technique is like. There is a video of Reza back squatting 320kgx2 ATG from a couple years back.

Can you even IMAGINE what this guy is capable of with a few years of powerlifting training under his belt? holy shit!

I really hope this is true[/quote]

Yeah it would be interesting to see what he can do if he focuses on PL

Why Bolton?

[quote]johnnytang24 wrote:
Why Bolton? [/quote]

Cos he’s the best multiply SHW out there at moment.

I was fantasizing that after a few years of training Reza will slap on a suit and break Boltons record. Probably not, but it would be pretty damn cool.

How much does Bolton DL raw?

Front squat 280kgx2

squat 305kgx2

[quote]Hanley wrote:
johnnytang24 wrote:
Why Bolton?

[/quote]

I thought Donnie Thompson currently has the multiply record.

Hanley wrote:
johnnytang24 wrote:
Why Bolton?

I thought Donnie Thompson currently has the multiply record. [/quote]

Yup. Done in a backyard fed with gifts. Have you seen any of his recent comp lifts?? Donnie’s cock strong, but with the shit he’s gotten away with recently he does’t deserve the title.

I’m surprised it would be 100% Raw, instead of IPF. I wonder if this is just talk on the part of the 100% Raw.

I’m surprised it would be 100% Raw, instead of IPF. I wonder if this is just talk on the part of the 100% Raw.[/quote]

In a country where weightlifting is viewed as the end all be all of strength sports I doubt geared lifting has any appeal whatsoever amongst the competitors and Reza’s fans. 100% RAW seems to have bent over backwards to get their Iranian affiliate up and running.

[quote]actionjeff wrote:

Can you even IMAGINE what this guy is capable of with a few years of powerlifting training under his belt? And if he moves to multi-ply? holy shit!

I really hope this is true[/quote]

Reza is a phenomonally strong weightlifter. I am sure he would put up some very respectable totals right out of the gate. However, weightlifting and powerlifting are two very different sports that each involve specialized skills.

Skills and technique make all the difference. That’s much of why powerlifting and weightlifting totals have gone up over the last 30 years. Strong backs, hard work and good drugs have been around for a long time. But people are just plain getting better at the skill side of the sports- maximizing leverages, shortening ranges of motion, mastering supportive gear, knowing where you grab, when to explode, etc. While the supportive gear in powerlifting is a very obvious change, weightlifting technique has changed much as well- just compare old footage of Anderson, Aleksiev, and Bonk against Reza and Chigishev.

Perhaps there was time, early in the development of these two sports where one could be the best at both. However, those days are long past. As such- speculating how Reza would match up against other phenomonally strong athletes who do have 10 to 20 years of sport specific experience- such as Bolton has- under their belt is problematic to say the least.

[quote]Hanley wrote:
johnnytang24 wrote:
Hanley wrote:
johnnytang24 wrote:
Why Bolton?

I thought Donnie Thompson currently has the multiply record.

Yup. Done in a backyard fed with gifts. Have you seen any of his recent comp lifts?? Donnie’s cock strong, but with the shit he’s gotten away with recently he does’t deserve the title.[/quote]

Backyard fed? Dude- it is the INTERNATIONAL Powerlifting Association we are talking about.

Just kidding.

However, the IPA is does not seem to be putting on meets notable for an almost yuletide spirit of generosity in judging anymore. I’ve known a couple folks that got a rude awakening about the “new” IPA judging in recent meets.

I get the impression someone in Iran just enjoys making up stories about Reza. First he’s going to be the new Iranian head coach, then he’s switching to powerlifting, now he wants to be head of the Iranian Weightlifting Federation.

If he retired from weightlifting due to injury why would he be able to compete in powerlifting? Because the weights are lighter?

[quote]ninearms wrote:
I get the impression someone in Iran just enjoys making up stories about Reza.[/quote]

This is probably the most likely answer.

[quote]Pinto wrote:
actionjeff wrote:

I really hope this is true

Reza is a phenomonally strong weightlifter. I am sure he would put up some very respectable totals right out of the gate. However, weightlifting and powerlifting are two very different sports that each involve specialized skills.

Skills and technique make all the difference. That’s much of why powerlifting and weightlifting totals have gone up over the last 30 years. Strong backs, hard work and good drugs have been around for a long time. But people are just plain getting better at the skill side of the sports- maximizing leverages, shortening ranges of motion, mastering supportive gear, knowing where you grab, when to explode, etc. While the supportive gear in powerlifting is a very obvious change, weightlifting technique has changed much as well- just compare old footage of Anderson, Aleksiev, and Bonk against Reza and Chigishev.

Perhaps there was time, early in the development of these two sports where one could be the best at both. However, those days are long past. As such- speculating how Reza would match up against other phenomonally strong athletes who do have 10 to 20 years of sport specific experience- such as Bolton has- under their belt is problematic to say the least.[/quote]

in my opinion, an 830+ pound raw full squat and raw deadlift are going to go a long way any way you twist it. And I don’t doubt those numbers at all.

Haven’t weightlifting totals barely moved at all in most weight classes, if you disregard the removing of the old records? It seems like they have hovered very close to their current marks for quite a while. I mean there are so many people who have snatched 200kg, and so few who have gotten over 210, and this is over decades. IMO that has to say a LOT about human strength in that movement. Once you get ideal body type, training, technique and build strength up and up it seems to always hit that area in the Olympics. We’ve seen a 210kg snatch from a 110- and if you let guys get as big as they want after that, only 6kg is added on the snatch and that’s never been duplicated!

I definitely WANT to see the numbers go up and up but I don’t really think they have been

my 2 cents.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
ninearms wrote:
I get the impression someone in Iran just enjoys making up stories about Reza.

This is probably the most likely answer.[/quote]

=(

ninearms,

Isn’t weightlifting like a lot of other sports. The athletes start to “slow down”, but in something like powerlifting it’s possible to keep building your totals. If that’s true, it kind of makes sense for Reza to move to something else. Strength was his life.

Optimistic thinking of course, but it doesn’t seem unbeleivable to me- unless his retirement really was because of bad injury.