T Nation

Another Book Thread

I know there is probably a recent one floating around but, I cannot find it.
So, what are you reading any recommendations?

*Does anyone know of a book, poem, paper in which the devil is sympathized with? Showing God chose man over him, or arguing that he was created to be who he is so, how can he be blamed? Some type of monologue or piece from his point of view would be perfect.

*I have already read Milton.

The Master and Margarita by Bulgakov.

Not exactly what you’re looking for, but you can check out the wiki page and see if it interests you.

Frankly, the devil you’re looking for seems really emo to me. I bet he listens to a lot of My Chemical Romance and Alexisonfire.

Well, a bit outside the box, but read the Sandman - Seasons of Mists trade. Comic if I wasn’t clear. But in it is the storyline where Lucifer decides to close Hell and move on, he’s bored and wants something new. He explains himself along the lines of what you are talking about though his attitude towards God is not so much that God chose people over him, he just doesn’t want to be controlled.

This leads into the comic series Lucifer which gives a lot of motivation and actions after he has quit Hell working towards his ultimate goal, namely, freedom from God’s plan and the idea of divine control. Ran for about six years so a lot of depth to the character. I think you can get it all in trades at this point.

Another suggestion outside the box is The Origin of Satan, ISBN 0679731180, which is a non-fiction book where the author traces the change in the character from someone who opposes God to the evil monster in current religion.

Also, I recall a book called I, Lucifer but it’s been too long since I read it. I believe it revolves around giving Lucifer a second chance to make amends. Might have something you are seeking since it’s told from his point of view.

The Broken Empire books by Mark Lawrence deal with a character who acts in evil ways and has accepted the evil in his nature. I don’t think it is necessarily what you are looking for, but the books were a fun read and left me with some things to think about.

[quote]Dr. Pangloss wrote:
The Master and Margarita by Bulgakov.

Not exactly what you’re looking for, but you can check out the wiki page and see if it interests you.

Frankly, the devil you’re looking for seems really emo to me. I bet he listens to a lot of My Chemical Romance and Alexisonfire.[/quote]

I have read The Master and Margarita loved it. Actually, I recommended it in quite a few threads.

Right now I am reading “The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket” in a large collection of works by Poe. It started out promising but here toward the end it has really dried out.

Thanks for the recommendations so far, will be checking them out.

What are some favorite short stories/books?

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Next one on my list is called Zero Zero Zero by Roberto Saviano whenever it gets translated about the cocaine trade.

He wrote one called Gomorrah about the Sicilian mafia, which ended up getting a lot of attention, so they put a hit out on him and he has to live life on the run with a ton of bodyguards.

Just recently finished the book -“The Sleepwalkers: How Europe Went to War in 1914” by Christopher Clark.

The book is self-explanatory. Read it because I realized I had little knowledge of how WW1 began. Clark states that his assertions are different from others, and now I’m curious how different. Will probably pick up another book regarding the history eventually.

A book that I would recommend to just about EVERYONE is “The Emperor of All Maladies: The Biography of Cancer” by Siddhartha Mukherjee.

The book is brilliant, and an incredibly insightful history into not only cancer treatment, but the very concept of modern medicine. It was eye-opening.

God I love my kindle paperwhite.

[quote]xXSeraphimXx wrote:
What are some favorite short stories/books? [/quote]

A really good collection of short stories is Greetings from Below by David Mullins. Salinger’s Nine Stories is also one of my favorites.

[quote]MrZsasz wrote:
Well, a bit outside the box, but read the Sandman -[/quote]

Did you ever see the annotated Sandman collections? I borrowed a copy from the library. Pretty cool if you’re Sandman fan.

One More Thing - Stories and Other Stories by B.J.Novak is on my list of short stories to read.

What We Talk About When We Talk About Anne Frank by Nathan Englander also has good short stories.

great short story by Simon R. Green in The Monsters Corner: Stories Through Inhuman Eyes called Jesus and Satan Go Jogging in the Desert.

the Sandman Slim novels by Richard Kadrey are great. if you read the first you’ll be hooked. some quotes

Hell didn’t make me a monster. It just confirmed all my worst fears about myself.

This is where you first failed us. You gave us minds and told us not to think. You gave us curiosity and put a booby-trapped tree right in front of us. You gave us sex and told us not to do it. You played three-card monte with our souls from day one, and when we couldn’t find the queen, you sent us to Hell to be tortured for eternity. That was your great plan for humanity? All you gave us here was daisies and fairy tales and you acted like that was enough. How were we supposed to resist evil when you didn’t even tell us about it?

Revenge is never what you think it’s going to be. There’s no pleasure and glory, and when it’s done your grief remains. Once a man does the things you’re talking about, he will never be the same, and he can never go back to who he was before. Worst of all, no matter how many enemies you kill, you are never satisfied. There is always one more who deserves it. When it becomes too easy to kill, it never ends.

Memories are bullets. Some whiz by and only spook you. Others tear you open and leave you in pieces.

When you jump off a cliff, is it better to land on jagged rocks or burning lava? I know this one. The answer is obvious: It doesn’t matter where you land. You just jumped off a cliff.

If I learned anything Downtown, it’s this: the only real difference between an enemy and a friend is the day of the week.

Fuck you, angel. Fuck you and all God’s little prison bitches. He slips you some cigarettes and a con job smile and you run off to do his dirty work for him. Go and scare some sinners. No one’s listening to you here.

We must always look after our friends, even when they are foolish. Especially when they are foolish.

I tap a Malediction out of the box, fire it up, and puff. It tastes like a tire fire in a candy factory next door to a strip club. The best cigarettes ever.

When you’re facing down multiple attackers, you always want to make the first move. It lets them know that you’re ready to fight and that you’re crazy enough to get the party started. One rule of thumb in fighting is that crazy can often overcome skill and numbers, because, while a trained fighter might actually enjoy going up against another trained fighter, no one really wants to wrestle with crazy. Crazy doesn’t know when it’s winning. And crazy doesn’t know when to stop. If you can’t pull off crazy, if, for instance, you’re handcuffed in a small van with six armed assailants, stupid is a decent substitute for crazy.

[quote]xXSeraphimXx wrote:
What are some favorite short stories/books? [/quote]

Things They Carried by Tim O’Brien. You’ve probably read it. Most people have.

But particularly this short story in it- “On the Rainy River”

[quote]sen say wrote:

[quote]MrZsasz wrote:
Well, a bit outside the box, but read the Sandman -[/quote]

Did you ever see the annotated Sandman collections? I borrowed a copy from the library. Pretty cool if you’re Sandman fan.[/quote]

No, I haven’t yet. I have been thinking about pulling the trigger and buying either those volumes or the the Omnibus collections.

[quote]MrZsasz wrote:
No, I haven’t yet. I have been thinking about pulling the trigger and buying either those volumes or the the Omnibus collections. [/quote]

Not familiar with the Omnibus, but would recommend the annotated if you like geeky behind the scenes stuff of what Neil Gaiman based this that or the other on, etc…