T Nation

Another Beginner Seeking Advice

Hi guys, i'm 26, 1,75m height and weigh about 75-76 kg (165 lb i think). Because of my body type i don't have any body fat, plus i've lost a lot of weight when i had a anterior ligament reconstruction this summer (i weighted 78kg and dropped down to 70kg but i'm gratually starting to regain the weight). I have an athletic backround, i trained in muay thai and wrestling but i had to stop due to the injury. So i've decided to hit the gym instead.

I've been training for a few months now and i want to take it to the next level. My body's starting to get into shape, i've noticed the changes myself. I've been taking care of my diet and avoid junk food, drinking etc. I go to the gym 4 times a week and i do body parts splits like:

Monday: Chest and biceps
Tuesday: Back and triceps
Wednesday: Off
Thursday: legs and shoulders
Friday: Any of the above (but not the same as the one on Thursday)

I do 4 sets of : 15-10-8-10.

So my questions are:

1) Is 4 times a week ok to gain more muscle?
2) Should i change the reps? Maybe add more weight?
3) Should i change my training regime? I mean, should i traing each body part twice a week?

Thank you and i apologise if my questions sound a bit stupid but i want to train properly and not end up injuring myself or not progress at all!!

1) you need to be more specfic at what exercises you are doing for those body parts.

2) again I would need to know the answer to the first question, to answer the second.

3) it really depends on the person, you will have try out a few different regime's before finding one that fits you the best.

P.S

Its physically impossible to have 0% body fat, you should find out how much you have, then post it up here, I have a feeling anyone who might of helped you, saw you write that, and walked out straight away.

Hope this helped.

Cryptology

Chest

Barbell Bench Press
Barbell Incline Press
Dumbbell Flyes
Dumbbell Pullover

Triceps

Lying French Press
Close-Grip Bench Press
Dumbbell Kickbacks

Biceps

Dumbbell curls
Dumbbell Concentration Curls
Barbell Curls

Back

Barbell Row
Bent Barbell Rows
chin ups
dead lifts

Shoulders

seated Dumbbell Press
Side Raises
Front Raises
Military Press

Legs: i use the cable machine

In regards to the fat percentage i didn't say i have 0%. Last month it was 14% though i'm going to have a check up this week so i'll let you know, even though it should be within the range of 13-15% (which is a bit too much for my body type i guess?)

oh.. "Because of my body type i don't have any body fat" <- totally confused me lol.

I personally prefer compound lifts, Id recommend "Starting Strength Beginner Program" by Mark Rippetoe to any beginner who is interested in training either in power lifting or bodybuilding, as it builds a strong foundation for strength, aswell as size (if you eat properly).

^ Starting Strength Wiki Page

You really need to do squats, its a very important lift, and im 99% sure its the best lift for your legs, try and avoid machines at all costs.

thanks i'll give it a look. I'm also waiting for other guys to give me their opinions! thanks cryptology ! :slight_smile:

that's pretty good advice

For me....I find it easier to separate upper body and lower body workouts.

Schedule permitting, I do lower body on Mon-Thurs....and upper body (including chest/back) on Tues-Friday. And I go all out. I am not happy unless each muscle group is thoroughly fatigued.

I try not to do lower body on Fri because it can mess up my weekend if I am too sore.

This is what I do....you need to find out what works best for YOU.

If I was critiquing your program.....it is too heavy on upper body.....and the Mon-Tues workouts you have planned is too much upper body work on consecutive days. For example, your triceps will be hit pretty hard in your Monday routine...and they won't be up for the Tues workout.

Also, you need to READ more. You posted this as your only lower body work:

"""Legs: i use the cable machine"""

You are lucky people aren't being mean to you.

Squats will make you a better person.