Another Beginner Seeking Advice

Hey all!

I’ve been into fitness since March last year when I realised I needed to do something about my weight problem that I had, I was 182lbs 5’3 36inch waist and I had honestly never done any exercise since playing soccer when I was around 5 years old.

Back in March 07 I was 16 years old almost 17 so you can probably appreciate my problem with being that weight with that height and no muscle what so ever, not nice in high school.

So from March - May I stopped eating more or less, and just ate chicken and rice pretty much.
It was in May that I bought my dumbbells on my birthday so aged 17 I started trying to re-carve my neglected body, at first nothing happened but I kept going for about 2months then I quit for another few weeks and it continued like this until I went back to school in September, by this time I was 5’5 140lbs and a 30 inch waist. I was surprised by my massive losses and my new found leanness with no help what so ever with my dumbbells, I literally did about 20 curls a night and about 10 or so push ups.

In September my friend told me I should start of with a lower weight than I would normally lift do 10 reps per set and after each set increase the reps for 5 sets with 60 seconds rest between each set.
I did this until December for curls, hammer curls and arnold press’ with my usual 10 push ups.

This did really well I lost body fat and gained muscle - since then I have been doing my own programs, and right now I have completed one six week program and am now half way through another six week program.
current stats height: 5’6 130lbs 27inch waist 11inch forearms, 12inch biceps 36.5 inch chest.
I am at the moment still concerned with getting to single digits in my body fat % .
I haven’t had it tested but I’m sure I will tell as soon as my abs start showing really well.
Size is not my main goal strength is, as I am a big Bruce Lee fan I do want to keep to a small body whilst having a lot of functional strength and a well defined physique.

I would like someone to offer me some advice on how to do this, as at this moment I am not increasing the weight on my dumbbells for fear of getting too big for my liking.

Here is a quick idea of my current program.
(I use only dumbbells as I like free weights and I’m not a big fan of barbells either.)Supplements omega 3 & 6 fish oil, multivitamin, water (Y) rest between everyday.

Circuit training ( everyday )
Forward kicks 1min
starjumps 1min
press ups 1min
shadowkicking 1min
shadowboxing 1min
resistance tubes 1min
chin up 1min
skipping 1min

Day one ( Maximal weight 10kg, emphasis forearms( flexors and extensors), biceps )
wrist curl 12x3
hammer curl 10x3
hammer twist 10x3
curl 8x3
arnold press 8x3
tricep extension 10x2
lateral raise 10x2
raise 10x2
front row 10x3
crunches 20x3
flexibility.

Day two ( sub-maximal weight 5kg)
Same as day one except 20x5 curls and 12x3 arnold press.

Day Three ( 10kg )
Push/press ups 10x3
shrugs 10x3
resistance tubes 10x3
dumbbell press 10x3
squats 12x2
hammer twist 10x3
wrist curl 12x3
crunches 20x3
flexibility.

That is my current program, plenty of faults, I’m sure you think I am an idiot for lifting such tiny weights but it seems to be working.

Anyway please help me improve my functional strength and decrease my body fat.

By the way I eat 5 times a day and drink only ice cold water :slight_smile: I’m pretty sure my nutrition is ok.

Please read http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=640350

Wow, you gained 2 inches in height due to weightlifting!

You’ve made some nice progress, thanks to your hard work. It’s only the beginning. Read the link Gambit referred you to, then go from there.

I only see 1 lower body strength exercise in your program. You will not believe the amount of flaming chicken-legs get around here…

get used to barbells.

way too many lifts. pick 4-6 tops and do cardio if you want to keep working out longer.

remember you have:
traps
delts
pecs
bis
tris
forarms
quads
hammies
upper back
mid back
low back
calves
glutes

are all of these recieving adequate simulation? You can use dbs for a lot of lifts, but you’d be better off squatting/deadlifting with a barbell.

Olympic lifts are fun. If you’re interested in just fitness I heard crossfit has some pretty badass workouts if strength or hypertrophy don’t really matter.

Increase functional strength and decrease body fat?

Go here. 404 | Dragon Door

Just kidding.

If you want to get super-strong and super-lean, then lift heavy; squat, deadlift, and jerk - all with barbells- for 1-5 reps. Then just don’t eat a lot. That’s how you get strong without getting big. The lifting heavy gets you strong, and the not-eating-enough keeps you looking like an anemic twig.

I second reading Gambit_Lost’s link. There"s prime stuff there, and it’s really a must if you wanna keep posting here on T-Nation.

Thanks for the links and advice guys I’ll read them now :slight_smile:

First let me say the Bruce Lee was a Monster. I dont know if there is anyone with lats as impressive as his. Alot of ppl refer to them as wings…his were. Just looking at him you couldnt see them but when he flex it was like inflating a balloon. Dont not think for 1 sec that he was a little man. Small in stature maybe, but he was monster.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/photo/data/2/lats9.jpg

Now there were a few things you said that made me chuckle like

…“I am not increasing the weight on my dumbbells for fear of getting too big for my liking”

Im sry but that is just dumb. Also, its grate that you lost the bf but I hope you dont think you grew 3" from using the DBs.

But if you want functional strength and you have limited equipment do push ups, dips, Pull ups and lunges. Invest in a pullup bar there are some really nice ones out there for around $35-$50. But if you have a little space and a little more $ you can get a “power tower” that lets you do pull ups, push up, dipps knee rases and what not.

Scene your 17 I will assume your a senior in HS and on your last bit of classes? But dose your HS have a weight room? We use to be able to go in the weight room after school if we needed to but we also had weight training class so those could be some options also.

DO NOT BE AFARADE TO LIFT HEAVY!!! You cant flex skin and bone.

[quote]Himora22 wrote:
First let me say the Bruce Lee was a Monster. I dont know if there is anyone with lats as impressive as his. Alot of ppl refer to them as wings…his were. Just looking at him you couldnt see them but when he flex it was like inflating a balloon. Dont not think for 1 sec that he was a little man. Small in stature maybe, but he was monster.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/photo/data/2/lats9.jpg

Now there were a few things you said that made me chuckle like

…“I am not increasing the weight on my dumbbells for fear of getting too big for my liking”

Im sry but that is just dumb. Also, its grate that you lost the bf but I hope you dont think you grew 3" from using the DBs.

But if you want functional strength and you have limited equipment do push ups, dips, Pull ups and lunges. Invest in a pullup bar there are some really nice ones out there for around $35-$50. But if you have a little space and a little more $ you can get a “power tower” that lets you do pull ups, push up, dipps knee rases and what not.

Scene your 17 I will assume your a senior in HS and on your last bit of classes? But dose your HS have a weight room? We use to be able to go in the weight room after school if we needed to but we also had weight training class so those could be some options also.

DO NOT BE AFARADE TO LIFT HEAVY!!! You cant flex skin and bone.
[/quote]

Hey thanks for the advice mate :slight_smile:
I’m definitely not under the illusion that I grew in height from dumbbells aha that would be crazy, I added it so you can see some of my fat losses could be from where my height has helped me thin out a bit.

That amazon link is wicked I’m going to try and get it asap thanks!