T Nation

Another Athlete Lean, Athlete Strong Question

Hi Christian,
Thanks for the program. I have been following wendler 5/3/1 for about 18months with great gains. I thought I would change things up for 4 weeks and introduce something a little different. However, I am finding the amount of volume at the prescribed percentages quite challenging.

Would it be better to try to 'grind' the reps out and do as many as possible (with the potential of missing reps). Or would it be better to drop the weight and lift explosively, with good form and leave 1-2 reps in the tank?

Thanks again,
Daniel

[quote]daniel4738 wrote:
Hi Christian,
Thanks for the program. I have been following wendler 5/3/1 for about 18months with great gains. I thought I would change things up for 4 weeks and introduce something a little different. However, I am finding the amount of volume at the prescribed percentages quite challenging.

Would it be better to try to ‘grind’ the reps out and do as many as possible (with the potential of missing reps). Or would it be better to drop the weight and lift explosively, with good form and leave 1-2 reps in the tank?

Thanks again,
Daniel[/quote]

I’m not surprised… Jim is a low volume guy. It’s hard to transition to a low volume to a more demanding one. I prefer that you lower the weight then grinding the heavier ones.

Awesome, thanks!

Another quick question for anybody - do you tend to use peri workout nutrition on the ‘energy system’, HIIT or any other conditioning days?

Thanks!