T Nation

Anom1k's Training Log

I posted this on another board, and since I read this one a lot more I figured I'd post it here!

1) Post your current stats
Height: 5'11"
Weight: 195
Sex: Male
NEW 1RM PR's
Bench: 190
Squat: 365
Deadlift: 375

3) Post your goals:
Compete in powerlifting meet, and get a new PR on every single lift at the meet. Pretty textbook.
4) Post the date you must reach this goal by
The Competition is june 6th
5) Post your punishment if failing to reach this goal.
Early morning steady state cardio 3x a week.
6) You must post your log in here so we can follow it to keep up with you.
Will do this after my squat DL workout today.

Background story:
I started keeping a logbook about 7 months ago, and I'm not sure If I should post all that here or not, as it would be very lengthy post. I'll wait to hear from a mod about whether I should do that or not.

My current goals are to build strength. A year ago I was at approximately this weight when I tried to do a bodybuilding style cut. Either I didn't do it correctly, or it was just a poor choice at 185, but I lost a lot of strength. Since then I've started doing strength training. This past summer I did Rippetoe's starting strength, and this past fall I met up with some powerlifters, who've really helped me with my form on the basic lifts, and switched up my programming so that it wasn't as much of a bear as starting strength, which allowed me to make gains, though small.

Goals:

My original goal was to have a good physique, and I felt that building a strength base would get me there. While working out with powerlifters, I've become stronger but the physique aspect is not central.

My long term goal would be to have the best of both worlds, to have a large strong and lean physique. I know that I am very far from this goal. I'm very interested in DC training, but I have not been training (seriously) long enough to attempt it.

Diet:
I try to get around 40-50 grams of protein with every meal, and I eat 6-7 times a day, usually trying to avoid carbs except pre/post work out and breakfast, and almost always after six. It usually works out 1.5 grams of protein per lb of bw for me right now, which is nice! An average day would look like this:

7:30 wakeup 1 scoop of whey protein shake mixed in water
8:30 breakfast 3 eggs 2 handfuls of baby spinach, 2 large pieces of whole wheat toast (40-60 grams of carbs)
10:30 2-3 scoops of TEAMSKIP or whey protein, 10-15 baby carrots, almonds
1:00 1 can of tuna, 1 tbsp of mayo, spinach salad. Low GI carbs if I have a workout
3:30 Workout (usually 20 grams of whey and a piece of whole wheat toast PW)
5:00 dinnertime! Usually I'll go to the dining hall. I try to eat read meat at this point, some cooked veggies for a change, and whatever complex carbs are around.
8:00 1/2 cup of cottage cheese
10:30 1 1/2 scoop of whey or TEAMSKIP.

Also, 4-8 fishoil per day and a GNC multi.

That's that! Diet criticism is appreciated.

Okay, so I follow a pretty basic workout that isn't too hard so I don't get too stressed out. It's also pretty low in volume. Criticism is appreciated, but I don't think I'm going to give the layout a complete overhaul. I haven't been paying as much attention to the progress on my ancillary exercises, those are mostly to get blood flowing into the muscles. On the big 3 I try to concentrate on form as much as possible, and I never go to failure (intentionally).

The layout is like this:

Tuesday:
Back Squats and Conventional deadlifts. (lots of rest)
Optional ancillary work for stuff like biceps.

Thursday/Friday:
Heavy Flat Bench (lots of rest)
Close grips
Lat work, like seated cable row. I will use high intensity techniques here.

I've been doing some high-rep kettlebell front swings for the past month to get the blood moving at the end of this workout because it lacks a little bit.

The people I work out with are thinking about incorporating some light leg work into this back/bench day, mostly for the sake of technique practice.

Sat/Sun: "Bodybuilding" day
I keep the rep ranges above 8 for this day on all exercises with 3 sets per exercise, with little rest. I do not go to failure on this day, and I am usually sweaty by the end of it.
Overhead DB press
Incline DB press
Wide grip pushups (I usually suck on these)
Seated cable row
Leg exercise: I used to do the leg press but it hurt my back for squatting. Lately I've been doing paused squats 3x5, I like this a lot better, but no pump for legs I'm open to suggestions here for leg press type exercises that don't suck ass and hurt my lower back.
Back extensions
Some kind of weighted ab work. Open to suggestions on this one too.

So there you have it. I'll post today's workout in a separate post.

Tuesday April 05!!

Cinco de mayo! Today's workout was great, and got me motivated to post.

In honor of cinco de mayo, I moved down from 8's which I was doing last week, to fives on my squats and deadlifts. I usually take 4-5 minutes of rest between work sets. My warmup on leg day generally consists of bodyweight squats, leg swings, lung stretching, for just a BRIEF general loosening up of things. I used to do 5 minutes of cardio, a lot of mobility as well as foam rolling. I am more minimalistic now, largely due to improved form on the squat and deadlift.

Squat:
Warmup: 135x8,185x5, 225x3

Work sets
250x5 This was easy so we moved up on the next set
265x5 This was still not too hard, though I went too deep on the last rep, but I still got it.

285x2 Easy, I did 285x3 a month ago or so

Deadlift:

Warmup: 225x3

Workset:
275x5 These felt a little difficult and awkward.
275x5 Second time around was much easier, I got much more aggressive, and also into a good groove.
305x2 Last week I did 305x3, but with terrible form. This week, I got 305x2 with good form.

Ancillary type stuff:
Barbell Curl
40x8 min rest
50x8 30 sec rest
40x10

I get some biceps work from the lat stuff, but I thought I'd isolate them today, since they don't get a lot of attention.

Bench Day: Thursday May 7

Jim, the powerlifter guy that I work out with, didn't show, so we didn't add legs in today. We generally leave the programming stuff to him since he's the most experienced.

Last week I failed on the bench so this week I dropped back a bit. I also moved down from 8's to 5's

Bench:
Warmup: 45x8, 95x8, 115x5 warmup sets not paused
Work sets:
150x5 paused
150x5 paused
165x2 paused
150x2-3 close grip paused
135x5 close grip no pause

Back/lats: These generally get more of a bodybuilding sort of treatment, so I try to mix things up

Tried out this thing called a "pullover," for the first time. IT's basically a machine that works your lats, and its made by nautilus. I try to hold the contraction at the bottom for a sec or two so I can get a pump going, and I take one minute rests between sets for these exercises.
Pullover 3x8 85lbs

Seated cable row 3x10 100lbs.

I did 2 drop sets on the last set, one down to 80x10, and another down to 70x5.

Metabolic stuff: (no rest)
One arm dumbbell snatches with 25 lbs, for 20 reps on each side, no rest between sides.
SUpersetted with
Farmers walks for 30 seconds with 55 lb dumbbells. My forearms had a debilitating pump after this, so I really have to start doing these more.

I did two sets of each exercise, and I was sweating by the end.

Light ancillary day: Monday May 11

I skipped the squat pauses that I would normally do on this day, since I will squat tomorrow. I also reduced the volume on back extensions and ab work for the same reason.

For warmup I just messed around with a barbell to get a little loose, overhead presses, hang cleans, rows, etc.

Like I said before, I usually take a minute rest between sets.

Overhead DB Press: 3x10 35 lb I might try to squeeze some more reps out of these depending on how hard it is next time.

Incline DB PRess: 3x8 50lb I always find these difficult for some reason, but I was able to complete 3x8 this session, which is an improvement from my last day like this.

Wide Grip Pushups: 3x10 Completed all my pushups, progress from failing last time on the last set. We'll see how I do next time

Seated Cable Rows: 3x10 100lb I try to do these with super strict form so I can feel it in my lats, by holding the contraction at the back for a second. They were too easy this time, so I need to move up them up in reps.

Back extensions: 1x10 bw, 1x10 35lb. I just wanted to make sure my back was functional for tomorrow. I reduced them from 3x10 45lbs, which I usually have a pretty good pump from.

Ab walkout: I saw this one in a Chad Waterbury article, it is hard for me to do, and a good finisher, especially after upper body work. 1x10

Altogether, an all around good workout.

Tuesday: Squats and Deadlifts, with PR's!

So today was a good day obviously because I PR'd! It was a tough day though, because I didn't realize we'd be going down to triples, since we only spent a week on fives, but the meet is in 4 weeks, so as Arnold would say in Pumping Iron, "let's get serious."

Today I doubled my former Squat PR, and I had a new best for Doubles in the deadlift, but no 1RM PR's.

Squat:
Warmup: 135x8, 185x5, 225x3, 255x1
Work sets: 275x3, 295x3 (little high on last rep), 305x2 PR! (check out op)

These squats were tough, but I got through it! I'm going to have to bring my belt and knee wraps for next week though. My knees buckled a bit on that last rep, and I need to work on staying tight in the hole so that it doesn't happen.

Deadlift:
Work sets:275x3, 305x3, 325x2 PR (double)!

Technique/speed: 225x3, 225x3

On that last rep (PR set), my form was not exactly perfect, but I still powered through it. I need to continue to work on my leg drive, so I don't shoot my hips, have the weight go forward, and strain my lower back.

Good stuff! I am definitely on track to beat my PR's for the meet

Wednesday: May 13

Ran for 20 minutes. Ate two burritos at chipotle afterwards, like a piggie.

Friday: May 15 Bench day!

So I showed up at the gym an hour early by accident so my workout buddies were not there. That meant that I had to do some on the fly programming, which was not a big deal, since I am usually harder on myself then my lifting buddies are. However, They showed up, and I did some box squats with them, which were mainly for speed.

Bench:
Warmup: 45x8, 95x8, 115x3, 135x2 (paused the double)

Work sets:
155x3 paused, took too much time on the negative
165x3 paused, little out of groove
175x2 paused, FELT AWESOME. Total control.

155x3 close grips, paused, felt awkward and off balance.
165x2 close grips, paused, felt GREAT and got GROOVE

Back lats: 1 minute rest
Pulldown machine: 85x8, 85x8, 90x8
Cable Rows (different handle): 100x10, 100x10, 100x19 ==> Drop set 80x10===> Drop set 70x10
There was a weird handle , and it was messing a little bit with my neck for the rows, so I didn't take it super hard.

1 set of DB snatches with 30lbs 20 per side SUPERSETTED WITH
1 set of farmers walks 55lbs 30 seconds

At this point my buddies showed up, so it was time for box squats for SPEED and TECHNIQUE

Box squats
45x8
95x3-4
135x3
135x3
135x3
135x3

I felt like I should do some more farmers walks at this point so I did.

Farmers walks 30 seconds rest
3x 30 seconds with 55lbs

I felt really good about this workout, especially benching 175x2 paused, though I had done 170x5 a month and a half ago (not paused)

Monday May 17: "Bodybuilding" day

Not having the stress of school really makes a difference as far as working out is concerned, I believe, because I have had 3 good workouts in a row, and I am thinking that this trend will continue.

Overhead DB Press: 1x10, 1x12, 1x12, 35 lb These felt really good and I will definitely do 3x12 next time.

Incline DB PRess: 3x8 50lb These were not as hard this time, and I am happy to say that I will be moving up the reps on these to 3x10 next time.

Wide Grip Pushups: 3x10 Completed all my pushups, but still hard as balls, definitely resting 3-5 seconds between the last few reps on the last set.

Seated Cable Rows: 3x12 100lb I got this no problem and had a really nice pump going, but had a minor failure on the last rep. I think I will move up to 3x8 for 110lb anyway.

Back extensions: 3x10 45lb Didn't have time for these last week, so I didn't move up the reps to 3x12. I can definitely do that for next time though.

Ab exercise: 2x10 I tried doing that exercise that looks like a bow, but I didn't like it very much. I've been trying to find a good ab exercise, but I can't seem to find one that really gives me a pump.

Ab exercise: Plank hold til failure: I hate these a lot, but they're not really going to give me ab strength, because there's no loading, right?

It was a good workout overall, next time it will be harder. Also, I have a little less less than 3 weeks until the meet (June 6), which means I'll probably only do this workout 1 or 2 more times before then.

After that, I'm off to bonnaroo, which for those of you don't know is a 4 day music festival in Manchester, Tennesee, aka Bumblefuck. I'm hoping not to be horribly detrained when I get back, though I recognize it as a possibility. I'm also thinking about going down to my friend's house in florida for a week, but I don't know if I'll have access to a gym there, so I'm thinking about not going since it would be in such close proximity. I might talk to the other guy who is into training seriously, in order to see what he's going to do.

Tuesday: Squat And deadlift Big PR's on both lifts!

These workouts just keep getting better and better. 2 HUGE Jumps for PR's. 335 on squat and 355 on Deadlift. My friend Jones said he hadn't had a workout like that since the 80's.

Warmup: 45x8, 135x8, 185x8, 225x3, 255x1

Work sets: For these I used a belt and knee wraps, in order to get ready for the meet.

285x3 => little rough on the form, and it felt heavy

315x2 => Better form, easier lift

335x1 => Jim and Jones tricked me, and said it was 325, but I didn't notice that they had put on 10's instead of 5's, mainly because I'm dumb. Not thinking about the weight is really helpful when it's heavy. Definitely nailed it.

Deadlift:

Work sets: 275x2
325x1
355x1==> Fell back a little bit on this one, which means I'll be able to get up more weight for the meet. They had 315 on the bar and told me to put 2 tens on. I tried not to think about the weight, but I knew I would be able to get it.

Here's to hoping this trend of awesome workouts continues.

Friday May 22 Bench and Light Legs (PR ON BENCH!)

Sorry for the late update, I was at my grandparents' house in maryland which doesn't have internet access.

Since I'm ramping things up for the meet, the volume is down, but the weights are up, hence the bench PR.

Bench warmup: 45x8, 95x8, 115x5, 135x2, 155x1

Bench worksets:
175x3 paused These felt really hard and awkward
190x1 paused PR This came a lot easier.

Close grips:
175x2 paused this was close to failure

Now for the light legs or "speed work"

LOW Box Squat Warmup:
95x3
135x3

LOW Box squat work sets: (little rest between sets)
4 sets of 155 for 3 reps each

Stiff Legged Deadlifts: (I HATE THESE)
185x5
185x5
185x4

Lats: Nautilus Pulldown
3x8 @90lb
Double cable row:
3x8 @ 40lbs per side

Sunday May 24: Light bench and shoulders

The guys I work out with told me to stop doing the general fitness day and to start doing a light bench and shoulders day, which is essentially how it already functioned. I did military presses, benching, and a set of dips. I also stretched. My rest was varied because I was working out with my cousin, who was doing some ridiculous hypertrophy stuff that I didn't understand.

The hypertrophy stuff: http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blo...-weeks/#more-54

Shoulder press

3x8 85lb

Bench My cousin told me that my eyes were bloodshot red for this. Note to self: remember to breathe.

3x8 135lb

Dips 1x10 bw

CAlling it a day!

Tuesday: May 26 Squat and Deadlift: MORE PERSONAL RECORDS

Today I squatted 355 and deadlifted 375. Those are 20 lb PR's on both lifts from last time and I'm super excited. I'm hoping to squat 375 and pull 405 for the meet.

Warmup: 135x8, 185x5, 225x2, 255x1

Work sets:

295x2 Little akward

325x1 Smoked it

355x1 Smoked it

DL:
225x3

275x2

325x2

375x1 PR Hips came up a little fast on this one and now my back is killing me. If I get good form I'm confident I'll be able to pull 405 at the meet.

May 28: Bench

Today's workout was not that great. I failed on my attempt at 195, but I had been partying the day before. Hopefully I'll be able to pull it off at the meet.

Warmup:
45x8
95x8
115x5
135x2
155x1

Work sets:
170x1 probably should've made this a double.

195x1 failed =(

170x1 long pause

Lats:
Natilus pulldown
95 3x8

Tricep pulldowns 3x10 60 lbs
superset with
Nautilus plate loaded pulldown: 45's, 75's

Today my friend batch learned how to squat and deadlift with us. Hopefully, I'll get him to start his own log soon.

Since my meet is next week, I will have a light squat day on tuesday and a light bench day on thursday.

My new PR's are:

Squat: 355

Deadlift: 375

Bench: 190

I'm looking to beat these at the meet. Right now this is a 920 total. If everything goes well at the meet, I could be within 25 lbs of a 1000 lb total.

These lifts would be with a belt, and knee wraps in the case of a squat.

Okay, so I was supposed to have my meet today, but I'm going to go to one tomorrow instead. Wish me luck.

First Ever Meet results:

Squat: 365 10lb PR! Could've gotten more. (belt and knee wraps)
Bench: 190 --> I decided to not go for a PR in favor of having a better total.
Deadlift: 375 --> missed an attempt at 400. Bar did not leave the ground (belt)

I made lengthier post in the strength sports forum: http://tnation.tmuscle.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_strength/anom1ks_first_powerlifting_meet_squat_pr

So I'm back.

After 3 weeks of partying, and one day of lifting, I have returned to my normal gym and my normal peoples. Jim and Jones are trying out some west side inspired stuff.

Today was Max Effort, ME day. A little different than I am used to. We did wide stance low box squats with moderately heavy weight, and not much rest in between work sets, as opposed to the traditional 5 minutes.

Wide stance low box squats
45x8
135x7
185x3
225x3
225x3
225x3

We also did 6 singles for deadlift, with little rest I was conservative and did mine at 315.

Pretty easy workout overall, but it's a good thing for the first day back. I'm also still recovering from the partying so, not a problem.

Heavy Upper body day:

My upper body strength needs a lot of work, so Jim decided it would be a good idea to give me a lot of volume for today. Damn. It really hurt.

Bench:
135x3
155x5
175x1

DB Lying Flyes:
30x8
30x8
35x8
35x8

Dips with Weight:
10x5
10x5
10x5
10x4
bwx4

Lying Triceps extension
30x15
30x15
30x12

Pullups
bwx1
bwx1
55x9
55x8
55x5
70x6

Rear DB flyes:
15x8
15x8
15x8

Biceps curl:
Went back and forth with cousin on 40lb for 3 sets and 30lbs for 2 sets.

I felt ridiculously sore the next day.