T Nation

Annoyed of My Abs (Kind of)

K basically im only 15 years old but I do competitive lifting with my cousins in Sonora and Im happy with all my muscles and their lifting capabilities, except one thing. Im happy with how strong my abs are, but the look is kinds weird.

If I flex then I have an 8-pack, honestly, a hard 8-pack, but unflexed it is a barely visible 6 pack and not nearly as tight? I cant compare to my cousins cause they are much older and are heavyset, but its annoying because I have 7% body fat and an 8-pack when flexing.

So why are they worse when I dont flex! All my freind looked at me like im stupid and said they look great and that when theyre not flexed they are supposed to be worse but I dunno. I have a 29-inch waist btw. Any insight?

how lean are you? what are you stats? Not that stone crap put pounds or kilos.

Lean? Im 7 percent bodyfat and a 29 inch waist. Oh and I weigh 140 and im 5 foot 8. flexing I have a big 8-pack and not flexing slightly visible six, why wont it stay as an 8 or atleast not get bigger when I relax?

Like when I sit down it takes forever for me to get rolls(I have to lean like all the way down) its just it kinda feels bigger than i want it to considering when its flexed its an eight pack.

I know a 29 inch waist is small but it just doesnt look that good to me.

Kratos, that’s normal. Stop worrying so much about your abs. And you should not be “happy with all my muscles and their lifting capabilities” if you’re only 15. You have a lot of potential progress to make, you should always be hungry for progression. Don’t settle for mediocrity.

-Nate

Yeah I mean, true I meant I was happy with how they are now but of course I want to keep progressing. Thanks anyway

[quote]KratosX91 wrote:
Yeah I mean, true I meant I was happy with how they are now but of course I want to keep progressing. Thanks anyway [/quote]

What he was saying is that those who are “happy now” are usually the ones who make the least progress overall. There is no way I would have been “happy now” with much of anything at only 15 when it comes to areas I planned to improve in.

What the hell ever happened to guys wanting big chest arms and shoulders?

No, it’s the dinky little girly like…abs.

Makes me sick sometimes.

[quote]Rockscar wrote:

No, it’s the dinky little girly like…abs.

Makes me sick sometimes.[/quote]

women, they love the abzzz

i dont know why I smell troll, but I smell troll.

[quote]Rockscar wrote:

[/quote]

You’re pointing at one right now.

[quote]MikiB wrote:
i dont know why I smell troll, but I smell troll.[/quote]

I don’t think so. I had a similar mindset when I was 14 or so. At that age, I would’ve been happy with abs and veins in my biceps.

[quote]hungry4more wrote:
MikiB wrote:
i dont know why I smell troll, but I smell troll.

I don’t think so. I had a similar mindset when I was 14 or so. At that age, I would’ve been happy with abs and veins in my biceps. [/quote]

Yeah the starved, yet ripped look.

I wanted to be leaner at that age but didn’t really care about shape. Get bigger, get leaner. The one thing you can’t do is turn a troll into a 29 inch waisted little boy with an 8 pack.

You will always be a troll.

No where in there did I say I didnt want bigger arms and chest Rockscar I just had a question about my abs.

I don’t get it. Are you wondering what happens when you flex a muscle? When you flex the muscles fibers contract by sliding over each other and bunch up and bulge. Flex your bicep - it gets bigger. Same with your abs, right?

This might be over your head but there are some worthwhile pics.

[quote]KratosX91 wrote:
No where in there did I say I didnt want bigger arms and chest Rockscar I just had a question about my abs. [/quote]

Anyone focused on abs will fail at true bodybuilding so don’t worry about it for now. Abs are a product of bodyfat %. Get the size and then the abs can be uncovered pretty easily.

[quote]Rockscar wrote:
KratosX91 wrote:
No where in there did I say I didnt want bigger arms and chest Rockscar I just had a question about my abs.

Anyone focused on abs will fail at true bodybuilding so don’t worry about it for now. Abs are a product of bodyfat %. Get the size and then the abs can be uncovered pretty easily.[/quote]

Is the reason that pro bodybuilders are always so lean because they have so much muscle mass and it burns a ton of calories just to maintain? Maybe I’ve just never seen pics of bodybuilders during off season bulking cycles, but whenever I see a pro, he has abs and veins popping out everywhere.

I’m 15 and just getting started too. I’d love some abs, but whatever… I’m just eating a lot of clean protein and veggies, training hard, and trying to make muscle grow.
I’m probably only a few % from a 6 pack since I can see abs if I pull down my skin a bit or lean back or something, but I have that annoying layer of fat covering the lower abs. It’s annoying too because it’s not even all fat, but looks like it is. It’s only a thing layer of fat, but looks like it bulges out more since it’s covering abs.

So yea… how are pros always so lean while eating enough to maintain and gain, I’m guessing, muscle?

[quote]Artem wrote:
Rockscar wrote:
KratosX91 wrote:

Anyone focused on abs will fail at true bodybuilding so don’t worry about it for now. Abs are a product of bodyfat %. Get the size and then the abs can be uncovered pretty easily.

Is the reason that pro bodybuilders are always so lean because they have so much muscle mass and it burns a ton of calories just to maintain? Maybe I’ve just never seen pics of bodybuilders during off season bulking cycles, but whenever I see a pro, he has abs and veins popping out everywhere.

I’m 15 and just getting started too. I’d love some abs, but whatever… I’m just eating a lot of clean protein and veggies, training hard, and trying to make muscle grow.
I’m probably only a few % from a 6 pack since I can see abs if I pull down my skin a bit or lean back or something, but I have that annoying layer of fat covering the lower abs. It’s annoying too because it’s not even all fat, but looks like it is. It’s only a thing layer of fat, but looks like it bulges out more since it’s covering abs.

So yea… how are pros always so lean while eating enough to maintain and gain, I’m guessing, muscle?[/quote]

Pros LEAN DOWN for shows. It only takes a few weeks if you do it right.

I’m gonna say this guy isn’t a troll.
May smell a bit like one, but I understand where he’s coming from.

Look, it doesn’t matter what your abs look like unflexed and in the shadows. You either have a six pack or you don’t.

I’m pretty sure everyone with abs has thought this to themselves at one time or another.

Just know, that whenever you see a model or bodybuilder with abs, those pictures have been taken with perfect lighting, taken while they were flexing, and most likely photoshopped and edited to some degree.

The best thing you can do to make your abs look impressive even when you’re relaxed is to get thicker, harder abs by doing weighted crunches, weighted machine crunches, russian twists, weighted hanging leg raises, and other difficult abdominal exercises with heavy weight.

[quote]Artem wrote:
Rockscar wrote:
KratosX91 wrote:

So yea… how are pros always so lean while eating enough to maintain and gain, I’m guessing, muscle?[/quote]

Wow. Most pros aren’t going to go on big photo shoots when they are carrying an extra 50lbs of body fat. That is why you haven’t seen many pics of them in their true off season unless they are guest posing.

That does NOT mean they are always walking around at 5% body fat.