Anna's Training Log

Usually the day after lower body workouts is pretty trash. I don’t sleep well for some reason. If I do switch to 4 days/ week, what would that look like?

Something like what I’m doing unless you can make time for full body workouts.

So combine squats and deadlifts. Bench 2x/week?
What sets/ reps?
Thanks for the help by the way!

Week 8: Day 4

Deadlift: 1x3-105kg; 6x3-100kg
Here’s a video of my “top set”.

It felt heavy and horrible and my back was horribly rounded. I probably could have gotten at least 1 more rep, but given the back problem, I decided not to. To be honest, by “back offs” didn’t feel much better
RDL: 3x5-75kg
Here’s my first set:

These felt pretty good but killed core.
Rows: 4x8-65kg

Preworkout: Physically fine- nothing sore. Mentally felt like crap- tired and zombie-like
Workout: Deadlifts felt really heavy. I wanted 5x5 with 105kg but that wasn’t going to happen. Getting through 6x3 wasn’t too mentally hard because I kind of just checked out. I couldn’t really feel it, but I felt like falling asleep the entire time. RDLs actually felt okay but killed abs. Got pretty lightheaded. Rows were fine- worked upper back pretty good though.
Postworkout: lower body not too tired or dead but mentally drained

The problem with your deadlift is that you are setting up with a rounded back. Record your sets so that you can figure out what it feels like to set up with a neutral spine and make sure you lift like that every time. Also, looking at your RDLs it appears that you have trouble maintaining a neutral spine, you need to work on bracing. Look up the McGill Big 3 and start doing them, you can do them right before you start lifting and on off days as well. Other than that, RKC planks might be useful too.

Yeah, basically. Maybe change things up after you come back from your trip, no point in starting something new and then going away for a week. The 6 day template you are using now should theoretically work, I did the same a couple years ago at over 30 years old and I was recovering, but if you can’t make it work then there is no point in continuing.

If you often have problems sleeping then either talk to a doctor or look for some natural supplements to help you sleep, even if you cut back training to 4 days a week you still need to sleep or you will have the same problem.

Week 8: Day 5

Close grip bench: 2x8,1x9-95lbs
DB incine bench: 2x9,2x7-18kg
Jm Press: 3x12-75lbs
Technique: HS hold

Preworkout: quads and glutes dead, felt better after a bit of coffee. Mentally energized and looking for a good pump
Workout: Bench felt fast and strong. Good tricep pump. DB incline bench and JM press felt really good mentally. Struggled a bit on last few reps. Actually got a pretty good sweat on and definitely got a good pump
Postworkout: Arms dead and felt accomplished, mentally energized, finally a good workout after a few crappy ones

IDK if you actually care, but I’m struggling with some hormonal issues, so that may explain some of the performance discrepancies

Yeah, that could definitely be a major factor. Is that why you have trouble sleeping too?

I just had a major hormonal mess (cyst) and with the pain and emotion, all my lift went down some.

That must suck. I hope you get better soon!

I’m not really sure. I don’t have trouble falling asleep but I have problems staying asleep

What exactly is the problem if you don’t mind me asking? Thyroid?

Hypothalamic amenorrhea, so my gynecologist put me on birth control. Apparently I have to be on it for at least another year.
I haven’t experienced any of the weight gain often cited, but my energy levels have been going up and down. Of course, I’m not sure if its actually the birth control or the amenorrhea.

I see. Hopefully that will be sorted out soon. For now I guess you just have to try to work through it, if you’re having a bad day then cutting your workout short or reducing the weight would make sense.

Sorry for the late post, I got pretty bad food poisoning yesterday.

Week 8: Day 6

Front Squat: 1x2-135lbs, 1x4-125lbs, 3x5-115lbs
Lunges: 3x10-120lbs w/1min rests
DB Row: 3x10-22kg

Preworkout: Feeling pretty tired and weak but at least not on the toilet. mentally fine and actually excited
Workout: Front squats felt pretty crappy and got pretty lightheaded. Bracing was pretty hard too. Lunges felt fine on legs, but mentally hard to get through. Felt like the bar was crushing me. DB rows were fine and I really focused on keeping my form as strict as possible
Postworkout: Not too drained, pretty disappointed at performance, mentally pretty dead

1 Like

Week 9: Day 1

Back Squat: 5x3,1x2-67.5kg
Pause Squats: 3x5-57.5kg
Lat Pulldowns: 3x10-27kg

Preworkout: I know I squatted yesterday, but my legs were’t actually feeling too crap, so I decided to push through for a mental challenge. Feeling quite weak and lightheaded though. Stomach still a bit off
Workout: Bar didn’t feel too heavy on back, but felt weak. I really struggled out of the hole and knew 5x5 wouldn’t happen. I wanted 8x3 to match volume, but that didn’t happen. I had a lot of trouble bracing and got pretty lightheaded. Pause squats felt much better, but I had a lot more trouble than usual holding my breath. I really felt it in my quads and glutes. Lat pulldowns fine.
Postworkout: physically and mentally dead, but felt accomplished for pushing through

Week 9: Day 2

Paused Bench: 2x6, 1x5,4-45kg
JM Press: 3x15-35kg
Flys: 1x12,2x10-14kg
Technique: HS walk

Preworkout: Lower body pretty sore and tired, but felt fine overall. didn’t really feel like benching- never do though LOL
Workout: Bench felt pretty heavy but very strong. Went by really fast. Still disappointed that I couldn’t get my 3x8. JM Press really killed triceps and got a nice pump there. Flys were mentally a grind, not too bad physically though
Postworkout: Upper body felt pumped and good, mentally energized and lower body less sore

Week 9: Day 3

Deadlift: 1x5,4x3-105kg
RDL: 1x6, 2x5-72.5kg
Rows: 4x5-70kg

Preworkout: Mentally and physically fine- not excited but not tired either. I think I had a bit too much coffee (my limit is about 1/2 cup) because my vision was tunneling a bit and I was quite jittery
Workout: Deadlifts felt heavy but a lot better than last week. 5x5 at 105kg still wouldn’t happen and I mentally gave up the 5th triple. RDLs killed core but mentally not too bad to complete cause I kind of mentally checked out of the pain. Couldn’t feel it in back. Rows felt fine. Used straps though
Postworkout: Dead and pretty shaky but felt a lot better after walking around a bit

Week 9: Day 4

Close Grip Bench: 1x7,2x6-40kg
Overhead Press: 3x6-32.5kg
Skullcrushers: 3x11-27.5kg

Preworkout: not sore but REALLY REALLY tired. Legs were cramping pretty bad last night and just couldn’t stay asleep. Barely able to stay awake in class. Definitely not excited to workout
Workout: Felt like just laying on the bench and falling asleep, but felt a bit better after some warmup cardio. Everything just felt heavy and slow. Nothing too bad on muscles- still got quite a pump.
Postworkout: felt a bit better than preworkout but still pretty dead. Worst workout in a long time

When is your vacation? It looks like things aren’t going too good lately, maybe instead of waiting until after the vacation to change things up you should start now because there is no use in just wearing yourself out. You could take the rest of the week off and relax.

I leave Sunday morning