T Nation

Anna's Training Log Part 2

Okay, I know the article says 90% but you won’t go wrong with using 80 or 85% either, FWIW.

Are you only doing the main work? Or did you choose a supplemental protocol too?

1 Like

@hustlinghat93 outlined a plan:
main work with joker sets
5x5 of a variation for another lift (squat variation on deadlift day, deadlift variation on squat day, same with press/bench- rows, pullups, bench variations)
3x10 on accessories to support main lift (ie split squats, core work)
daily 2x5 deadlifts at 75-85%

7 days a week or each 5/3/1 session?
Maybe %s are different for girls but that seems high for an exercise like deadlifts. I guess you’re still using 90% TM too

according to @hustlinghat93 “everyday, even on rest days”. Realistically speaking, I’ll probably end up only doing 6 days a week

it is. Females are better at doing reps at higher percentages

this wasn’t actually clarified, but even using 1rm, the numbers are doable

I’ve never tried it, so I won’t knock it but sounds like too much to me.

All of a sudden I am feeling a lot of pressure for this to work :flushed: :sweat_smile:

But on a serious note

2x5 at those % everyday is too much. 2 sets of 5 singles done with full reset with minimum rest is way less stressful. When doing multiple reps in a set the % changes rep to rep, despite the weight being the same, due to fatigue and becomes closer to 100% hence why there reps get harder and slower

I would recommend going for 90% let’s you practice the lifts at lower weight during the working sets and there is no detriment due to you hitting heavier weight during the jockers

1 Like

How many days a week are you in the gym now?

1 Like

6 but only lifting 3-5 days (depends on program)

If you tell Anna minimum rest, she will take minimum rest. 5 singles with just a reset (standing up and back down) is not really easier than 5 reps straight.
And that’s not how percentages work. The value is measured off of a max, not off of your ability on that specific rep.

I basically do this, except I don’t stand up between reps (touch and go hurts)

I pause too generally. Do you know why TnG hurts? Sounds like your form is probably compromised.

1 Like

If you google the concept of relative intensity when it comes to weight lifting you will see what I meant ( but poorly explained). It’s the concept that if you do five reps at 80% of your 1RM, the first rep of the set is the only rep that represents 80% of 1RM intensity wise. Every rep after in a is then additional stress applied to the body that is greater than the demand of a 80% 1RM. So fatigue management wise relative intensity is a good concept to be aware of, but awful if you try to use it to program % of each rep based on it

The bold part is key. She will be practicing the entire process of a single from set up to lock out. If she goes through the set up for each rep then it 100%, certainly with her pulling non conventional, will be much easier than 5 straight reps.

I mix grip and if I don’t reset, the bar shifts and gets uneven

I understand what you’re trying to say but in this context (75-85% for 2x5) the percentage is a measurement of intensity, which is calculated off of a max (training or competition). So within that set of 5 reps, if Anna starts with 75%, every rep will be @ 75% because the way the 75% is calculated does not change. You’re right that rep 5 will be more stressful on the body than rep 1.

Again, I’m not saying this won’t work, just seems like a lot to me. Especially for someone like Anna who is notorious for doing more than what’s prescribed in a program. Not many people train deadlifts with high frequency partly because they’re a hard exercise to recover from. Resetting between reps is a good idea for exercise proficiency but the rest period is too small to claim it will be “way less stressful”

1 Like

Might be, intuitively I agree. Overall, it seems to be similar in additional training volume to this,

and I’m assuming that just as that article highlights — fatigue will mask the improved “fitness”.

This had me thinking, @anna_5588 at this point you are certainly no beginner. Given your strength-ratio relative to your body weight I’d consider you to be lifting at an advanced level.

When are you going to program for yourself? Then, rather than saying that the program you ran didn’t work (considering you rarely run a program as written anyway) then you bring the responsibility back to you so that it becomes “when I give my body these inputs I see these outputs” and then you adjust and learn from experience.

You presumably already have ways you like to train, whether that is lift-specific, high-frequency, or whatever I don’t really know but you could start with that as a framework and figure out the rest from there.

That’s what I’ve been doing

I obviously don’t know that much, so I ask more experienced ppl for specifics (ie how to focus on deadlifts)

I would never have thought to do what @hustlinghat93 suggested on my own.

I disagree, as you change frameworks. I’d not consider GZCL and Sheiko equal. And now you are on 531. 531 is a fantastic framework, and I sincerely wish you’d read all the books — and if not all of them then Forever.

2 Likes

Yesterday’s work

5x(100lunges+25pushups+ Walk length of hallway 4 times)

• another easy workout to get blood flowing, I’d say 500 air squats isn’t bad
1 Like