Anna's Training Log Part 2 (Part 1)

Well then objectively speaking it absolutely did work. You could easily just put everything on maintenance with a 531 program, and then put a little more work into the deads. New PRs would come quick.

2 Likes

Okay, are you choosing the right assistance exercises then? Where’s your weakness vis-à-vis the deadlift?

that seems like the best plan.

So what would that “little more work” look like

@Voxel yes, that was the primary modification I made to the template I was using. Instead of doing front squats as my T2 for the second squat day, I did a deadlift variation

Yes, but I’m asking if you did the right variation to address your weakest point in the lift.

2 Likes

Well, you have to take the whole into account. If you were doing a relatively easy version of 531 (cough TM cough), then you adapt a deadlifting program to that. You only have some much energy spend, so it depends on what else you are doing.

In fact, TM itself always seems to move my deadlift, though I never tried to use it for any all time PRs.

1 Like

Yes, I was doing paused deadlifts for a bit and did conventional, both of which target getting off the floor.

@Cyrrex ’s bracing tip made a world of difference

You pull sumo?

“Semi sumo”- I have my feet wider than conventional and hands between my legs but not wide enough to be considered actual sumo

I don’t know what the right assistance is then. For conventional maybe deficits would be a good choice.

Do you suspect lats, core or something else?

yes, so I hammered pullups and chins

Also was consistent with ab work for the first time in ages. Did good mornings too

Okay, but if you did all that and didn’t see a significant bump you were either wrong about what your weakness is or you did too much stuff at the same time.

Also, that’s not super-specific.

You might have seen better results with deficit deadlifts, loaded carries and Snatch-grip deadlifts/straight-arm pull-down.

1 Like

TNation has a “Simple Deadlift Program”

I might try running that with TM

Yep. Worth a try.

1 Like

If I were you I’d look at my recovery potential and energy availability first.

Then the plan.

But if I decided the plan was the problem, but I’m not entirely sure what’d be my best bet I’d run a few cycles of SVR II and do

Deficit deadlift (Conventional for me, sumo for you I guess)
Snatch grip deadlift or the one where you have a band pulling the bar forward to cue the lats
Loaded carries

And alternate between those. Carries could go on squat day.

I’d have straight arm Lat Pulldowns eat up a large portion of my pulling volume.

If all of those get stronger and you can’t continue increasing your TM I’d go to the first sentence of this post.

1 Like

The Kroc one? This is my go to “minimum effective dose” program for deadlifts.

If you’re going to do a peaking program leading into a new PR though, it makes more sense to me to make sure you have something to peak. Traditionally you’d run some kind of accumulation/hypertrophy block first, assuming you were willing to put in the necassary recovery, obviously.

2 Likes

oh, I didn’t consider this…

Do you have any ideas for how I could structureadd deadlift volume/frequency?

In very broad brush strokes, you’re looking to gain some mass first, likely through applying volume over (powerlifting style) intensity. Programs like Deep Water, Building the Monolith or Mass Made Simple are all classics here. Once you’ve built that mass, you learn how to use it to move bigger weights (“peak” it).

In this particular case, I would probably look to something like the 100 rep trap bar workout with the important caveat that I was absolutely going to take of recovery. This will absolutely smoke you if you don’t recover. Just to reiterate: you need to recover here. By week 10, this is hellish. Recover.

I don’t have access to a trap bar. Would subbing this for another deadlift variation work?

Could it be a technical issue as opposed to a programming one?

Which part of the lift do you stall at? (Sumo is usually harder at the bottom off the floor if done with proper technique)

Do you have a video? Or a photo of your starting position?

You get to accumulate volume during the normal sets and then workout to Rep max based on how you are feeling on the day. :man_shrugging:t3:

I do have something (not a program) that I’m confident would work but unsure if it doable for you

No, you’d crush your lower back. That’s a lot of heavy, awful volume.