Anna's Training Log Part 2 (Part 1)

I will try again today

These aren’t rhetorical questions. Try to curl your arm flexing your bicep. Can you do that?

2 Likes

To start this process, it helps me to put the palm of my hand higher than my fingers. That starts me off in a flex. I don’t know if that would help you, but little small cues like that seem to help me be able to just a muscle vs joint

1 Like

Yes, I can

There you go. That’s the “secret” of isolation exercises. Too many trainees treat them like compounds and just try to move the weight from A to B, but the whole reason you’re isolating is to isolate. Like Dave Tate wrote “if you can’t flex it, don’t isolate it”.

When you curl, you want to move the weight by contracting the muscle. Same with lateral raises and flyes (which you said hurt your shoulders for most likely the same reason, trying to move the weight with your joints vs contracting the pecs). This means LITTLE weight is needed for isolation. I like to point out that I’ve pressed 266lbs overhead and I use 20lbs for lateral raises, and even then, those are HEAVY lateral raises for me. Meanwhile, there are kids with 135lb presses that are working into the 40s and 50s with lateral raises…and wondering why their side delts suck.

6 Likes

My personal favorite.

1 Like

Same here, anything more than that just encourages cheating.

2 Likes

Great post. This is something that I logically understand, but have trouble applying in the real world.

2 Likes

The hardest exercises for me to do these on is stuff like leg extensions and leg curls. there is so much muscle in those groups it’s hard to get the squeeze on all of them to happen at once.

2 Likes

yep thats why our biceps suck. LOL

2 Likes

Week 5:day1(Sunday)

• I remember this killing me last time around, flew threw it. Was able to get the squats done/ 1min rests, supersetted db press fly things with good mornings, done at 40kg

Week5:day2 (yesterday)
Well… spoke to soon I guess… my legs were not cooperating at all…
Military press: 8x5-30kg Emom

Superset: btn press- lat raises
4x(5btn press+10lat raises- 7.5lb dbs)

Tricep push downs: 1x(20-22.5lbs+20-17.5lbs+20-12.5lbs)- repeat with 15 reps and 10reps

Bicep curls: 3x15-10lbs

• took things light, everything felt good, tried the curls as instructed- actually felt them in my biceps!
3 Likes

Week 5: day3 (yesterday)

• came in pretty sore but crushed it. Setting up the bar felt heavy but 60kg flew up, supersetted flyes with deads, bench moved well too, did lunges at 40kg bc legs dead
  • also decided to test pull-ups, got 10!!!

@jshaving @tlgains
I want your perspectives as uni students. it’s related to research stuff.

Sps you’re working in a group on a data analysis and visualization assignment that requires coding (but each person turns work in separately). one team members has the assignment figured out and offers to share the code.
Would you accept the offer?

I took this path at times in uni. It’s a short-term shortcut with long-term drawbacks

1 Like

I never once wrote my own code in University.

1 Like

Why?
That’s what I’m interested in

Are you interested in why I didn’t write my own code? Or are you interested in coding?

I had 2-3 required programming courses in my engineering degree. I didn’t care for them. I understood how the coding functioned but didn’t bother spending time on learning languages. Never planned on coding after school.

1 Like

this.

Thanks for your input!

I’ve already converted to maths, programming? NEVER!!! :rofl:

I will say the exams are quite difficult if you haven’t been writing your own code all term.
Don’t expect a good mark unless you actually practice and write yourself.

1 Like

The actual exams for the class involve 0 coding. We use code to make econ graphs

this is based on a conversation I had with my friend (that one) yesterday. He’s in my project group

In this case, I’m (for once) the one offering to supply the code. The research is around ethics

You mean the question you just posed?

1 Like