Anna's Training Log Part 2 (Part 1)

Week 11: Day 1

Cleans: 4x12-65lbs, 4x10-75lbs, 2x6-85lbs
Rows: 4x10-75lbs
Pullups: 2x3,4x2- EMOM

• mentally not into it but felt really good once I got started, form was breaking down so took longer rest between sets of cleans for the 75lb cleans, rows felt find, pullups felt solid again, surprised I got so far with the EMOM,

It happens to me when I don’t have goals. I can grind if I think I’m on a path to something; I can’t be asked to do anything if I don’t see it leading somewhere

2 Likes

Is that Ralph?!? I had a professor named Ralph that was just like that!

He could write and solve equations with one hand while erasing the previous one with the other. :rofl:

I agree with this a lot. When I am in the gym I zone in hard on lifting/visualizing movements/feeling the muscles contract that everything else kind of goes away.
It’s why i have a hard time logging - I feel it distracts me during my workouts.

These are honestly the most productive periods of training for me. The ones where I’m not getting myself all excited and distracted by shiny things and just following the plan as written.

1 Like

I’ve never logged anything during a workout, I don’t think. Maybe made a comment during one, once or twice, but logging is for after the workout, or some people do it before and then report how it went afterwards.

2 Likes

The only time I’ve logged during a workout is if I don’t want to do it and have to force myself through.

1 Like

I keep my notes open during workout. I also use my phones timer to time rest. There’s no way I could remember what weights I need without it. I could carry around a notebook but that’s not fun.

1 Like

I’ve taken to writing down the set before I do it in order to force the issue and kind of rub it in the weights face that I’m going to win.

Taken from a wrestling team that used to announce its victory celebrations Before the matches. “And at 135 lbs. Jon Mc…will be celebrating his 120th victory!..”.

2 Likes

I never log during workouts. Will check and occasionally comment if it’s getting tough

I think I am somehow always the oddball whenever these things are discussed. I log everything while I am doing it. And like @SkyzykS sometimes for a particulary difficult lift I will log it before as if to make the specific point to the iron that I am definitely going to lift it, by gods.

While we are at it, I am also a rage lifter. But somehow still very focused.

1 Like

Same. I’m writing it in a notes app, so you people always get the unfiltered, live truth about it. Probably because I’m resting for long enough between sets that I wouldn’t know what to do anyways.

1 Like

I plan out exactly what I’m going to do beforehand, and I do everything as planned. The only thing I might have to remember is the #reps I hit on the last set if I’m not just hitting the max. No writing during training here, not because I’m opposed to it but because I don’t need to. I just do a couple questions on Duolingo between sets, brushing up on my Espanol.

2 Likes

Week 11: Day 2 (yesterday)

6x(5 manamkers+2 min jumping jacks)
5x(10 lateral raises/side+10 front raises/side+10 overhead tricep extensions)-8lb DB

• felt pretty tired and needed to get some bloodflow to the upper back so took it easy, felt a lot better after

Week 11: Day 3 (yesterday)

Superset 1: Lunge-pullup
10x(10 lunges- alternating, 115lbs+2 pullups)

Superset 2: RDL- pullup
3x(10RDL-115lbs+2 pullups)

Clean pulls: 2x6-115lbs
4x(5burpees+goblet squats-37lbs in rest of minute)-no rest

• lunges felt REALLY good, didn’t burn or get HR up too much but was struggling to complete every set, those pullups are quite sneaky, RDLs killed hamstrings but felt better than expected, the burpee squats were intense

Week 11: Day 4

Press: 10x1- 85lbs, every 30sec for first 5 sets, EMOM for last 5
Pullups: 4x5!!!
Press: 10x1-85lbs, EMOM
Pullup: 4x3

• knackered, so decided to get some heavy pressing and pullups in, really pleased that I could get sets of 5 on pullups- needed long rests though, really happy w/ presses too

@cyclonengineer @dagill2 @kdjohn
I have a little less than 3 weeks before going back to school. Mum is freaking out and renegging so I’ll only have access to the 25lb plates 1 days a week. Honestly I’m not too bothered either. Training is getting a bit stale and I REALLY REALLY want to just play around with sprints, power cleans, DB snatches, rows and pullups.
Also, provided that the gym doesn’t shut down again, I’m going to start Sheiko as soon as I get back
Thoughts?

My thoughts are that it’s your training, and you should do what makes you happy as long as you’re staying healthy.

3 Likes

I’ve been feeling very “meh” with my training and admittedly haven’t been putting in the effort I think is optimal (taking longer rests, skipping work…)
I know what needs to be done, but mentally, it just isn’t happening

If you really want my opinion I say take the next three weeks and relax as much as possible. Sleep in, eat some junk food and watch crappy tv before school becomes all consuming in three weeks.

Give yourself a major break and decompress a bit. Go get a massage (if your mom won’t get you weights, tell her you need a massage for your health. Everybody does). You will feel a lot better entering the school year.

3 Likes

So just train however you want. You don’t compete or train for sports, so just play. Take an extended deload, like @cyclonengineer suggested. Pamper yourself. Mess around with different training styles. Set a time-limit for your session and just do whatever the heck you want. Do yoga. Gymnastics. Something different. Break the monotony.

6 Likes

This post is gold.

2 Likes