Anna's Training Log Part 2 (Part 1)

Not necessarily more, just working out at a time when I don’t feel crap

I feel it’s necessary to once again point out that this is only focusing on HALF of the equation of those new parents and CEOs getting training in. Your focus on only half is why you’re not getting 100% results.

2 Likes

Feeling great is good. It’s not a trigger that you have to train. It’s a state you want to experience on a rest day as well.

I don’t know what work you and your therapist do, but, one form in which my relationship with training sometimes takes is that

• I feel like shit on the inside
  • I don’t feel like shit physically
  • the discrepancy causes me dissonance
  • I train until I feel like shit

In the past I’ve accomplished the same through sleep deprivation, depressants (alcohol), overeating, manifesting my psychological ailments as physical pain, and nowadays - if anything - exercise and/or undereating. But I can exercise without it being this.

This is fueled by depression, essentially. It’s all different articulations of self-harm.

I also feel as if I’ve told you this before. And it’s sad that you remain confused when everything you’d need to know is in your log.

4 Likes

All of this is answered simply by having a training plan and showing discipline.

Feel like crap? Oh well, exercise about as well as you can if it’s an exercise day. If the “feeling like crap” persists for a couple of sessions then you should look into figuring out why that’s happening. If it’s something you can fix, then fix it. If it’s something you cannot then adjust the training accordingly.

Feel awesome? Doesn’t matter, don’t go off and do some 100% max effort on something for no reason. Stick to the plan.

I’m baffled that you’re confused that you don’t feel particularly good when you wake up in the morning. Why does this confuse you?

2 Likes

I’m sorry, I don’t see anything that I could add right now that hasn’t been said already.

1 Like

Exactly!

Okay, I’ll bring this up.

I do, yesterday was press day and I did

That’s a made up plan by someone who isn’t capable of making decisions in her best interest. You don’t even see the problem.

2 Likes

Week 26: Day 3
… guess what… I felt great today :sweat_smile:
Pistols: 6x6/side-45lbs
Goblet squats: 2x30-10-30-32lbs

• finally got 6x6 on the pistols, took LONG rests though- but the work got done. @vision1 the upper back work is paying off! core also seems to be stronger since neither were limiters today as they usually are
  • also managed to get the 30sec eccentric on the goblet squat, those continue to be a killer, ran out of time to do hamstring stuff
1 Like

You tend to have this very short time frame that guides you. You feel good today, so you pounce. What will that mean for tomorrow do you reckon?

How many times recently have you had bad training sessions? I feel like complaints about how they play out are a recurring theme, enough so to warrant mention. As a thought experiment, what do you think the overall impact on your life - not just training but academic pursuits, digestion, what have you, if you did 75% of your workouts but every single one was good?

2 Likes

Just thought of this: I feel like you make pretty frequent comments about some bodypart or something getting stronger or weaker, sometimes within days of each other. From my experience, strength isn’t gained or even really lost in usually a month, let alone a week or a few days.

Might be helpful to keep in mind that not every workout is going to be that good. I feel like it was Dan John, Wendler, or Dave Tate who said something like 5/10 workouts will be “eh,” 3-4/10 will suck, and 1-2/10 will be good. Something along those lines…you get the point.

Your sleep, your mood, what you ate the day before, what you ate the day of, your stress levels, probably the weather, etc…there’s countless variables that could affect how strong a muscle feels or how easy a movement feels. Don’t get too hung up on not always performing your best. No one does. (Especially if you’re not giving your body the rest and fuel it needs…)

7 Likes

Pretty sure I’ve heard all three of those use words to that effect, yes.

It seems clear from the recent discussions that you’ll have to find a way to be less emotionally invested in if you train or not. I don’t know what approach will work for you, that’s really for you to find out.

I’d like to say that it’d be as easy as committing to a more moderate amount of scheduled training, but with your behavioural patterns I worry you’d find other activity, activity that you don’t log, that you’ll still use for self-destructive purposes.

In a sense, maybe it’d be helpful for you to either think about this as self-coaching but that is highly dependent on if you actually know your stuff and it is only emotion that drive you to do things that are diametrically opposed to your goals. This is one tool I myself use. If I feel an itch or inclination to add something onto what I’m already doing, but I’m already making progress I try and move outside of myself and look at is as if I were my own client and think “If my client came to me and said, y’know I really want to add daily push-ups” and they have a shoulder problem and a troubled history with horizontal pressing I’d tell them that’s objectively a bad idea. And that helps me dismiss it for myself.

Another could perhaps be anthropomorphising your body. This can be a double-edged sword. But if you could view it as its own entity, rather than “you” that could serve to stem your self-destruction if you instead thought that you were proverbially kicking on something that’s already down, when that thing isn’t yourself.

I find that this helps with injuries specifically, the anthropomorphising. If my shoulder becomes cranky as a result of my actions, then rather than try to beat it into submission (if my shoulder is “me”) I lay off it if its this own self-sustaining organism that’s just had enough punishment and now needs to rest. It’s like having a sparring partner that had their wrist broken, can’t go sparring with them but don’t have an emotional response to them being momentarily out of commission.

I hesitate to add this, because I admittedly haven’t been following as dedicatedly and others, and the following was ages ago, but I really think Sheiko was one of your best training periods, @anna_5588.

It was a focused, no-nonsense approach to getting stronger, with set limits, and when you went off the rails and felt like shit, it was obvious why (AKA, deviating from the plan).

@Voxel already mentioned it earlier, but an already established and vetted training program would highly benefit you. Something that’s 3 days a week dedicated to strength and skill, with one additional day dedicated to moderate GPP.

3 Likes

I actually didn’t do too much today b/c of time limits. I normally would have done a set of two of RDLs after or a set of tabata (might make up in the afternoon) I’m not too worried about recovery today specifically

actually much less these days. I’ve really seen an improvement in recovery

good point.

most of my workouts can be classified as such

That’s how I currently think

100% agree. When I get a barbell, I’m going to do a basic 6 week linear program, then jump right back in

Future plans are cool. What are you going to do now to prepare yourself for that?

And I’m sorry to mention the “N” word but, what are your plans food wise?

2 Likes

progressive overload press and pistol, do sufficient hamstring and upper back work to avoid imbalance, hopefully put on more muscle than fat

slowly increase and hope my metabolism keeps up

That’s an incredibly self destructive thing to hope for.

As is this.

1 Like

@dagill2 nailed it.

You’ve got access to kettlebells. Why not look for an

I think StrongFirst and Pavel’s attitude towards training would be good for you right now. Pavel is very much about the minimum effective dose for maximum results. I’d peruse some kettlebell programs from them.

2 Likes

will look into that