Anna's Training Log Part 2 (Part 1)

You shouldn’t be seeking a cardio effect if you take a day off.

Your joints have been achy for a long long time. Do you think your tendons have any chance to heal inbetween their beatings?

Crudely, converting your step count to miles makes for some fifteen miles per day. The Appalachian trail is 2190 miles. People complete it, at times, in 5-7 months. If a person wanted to do it in five months they’d have to walk just shy of 14.5 miles per day.

Would you imagine such a person paying any heed to also getting their pistol squats done? Sure, you don’t walk with a rucksack but still I hope this comparison paints a picture for you. A nightmarish picture.

3 Likes

It might be constructive to note the amount of food that is usually eaten on the Appalachian trail, while still expecting to lose considerable amounts of weight. 1.5-2lbs of calorie dense food (think nuts, chocolate, etc.) per day would be the lower end and just to repeat, you would still expect to lose weight this way.

1 Like

Sure is, thanks for adding that info. My last hike which was four days I ate nothing but calorie dense foods as often as I could stomach to eat, still lost weight and a lot of my max squat as my legs were completely shot. I did take the day-pack for the duo that we were though each day of hiking.

2 Likes

One of my (short) bucket list items is the hundred mile wilderness section of the Appalachian Trail. Because 7-9 months is too long.

2 Likes

So you didn’t actually take the day off

This is better.

2 Likes

As I’m really fond of the comparison. Your daily activity level, which you sustain more or less everyday and have been for years is something some people set out to do as a time-fixed gargantuan journey and many do not even finish. They have a deadline at which point they seize and return to normal activity levels. You’ve maintained this activity level for far longer than they do.

Take anyone of these people mid-way through their hike and ask them to go for a run, what do you imagine their reply would be?

You guys aren’t going to win this with logic.

3 Likes

Week 15: Day 3

75min weighted walk-25lbs

• legs felt surprisingly good- can have more fun on Mondays then, not too bad on cardio- pack pulling on traps was the hardest part, left side got a bit numb so will need to adjust pack next time

Week 15: day 4
Pistols: 30x1/side-EMOM, (5/side-25lbs+6-11lbs+10-bodyweight)-No rest btw sets
RDL: 1x(5/side-1/side), 45lbs

• 30min emom felt amazing-killed legs, the “dropset” at the end was a fail :joy::joy:, rdls pretty crappy, definitely a workout to cycle in

@Voxel my digestion has been revolting even though I haven’t changed anything in terms of diet composition or amount . My mom very sensibly pointed out that I’ve been eating later and later, which isn’t the best for digestion. Should I consider stop eating 1hr before bed?

Agreed, but I enjoy talking about hiking. I’m never going to free up 7-9 months to do that walk, so I like to live vicariously through others sometimes.

1 Like

I don’t know if there is any victory to be had here at all, and I say this as I rest my forehead into my hands.

I don’t know how much of an established phrase this is, but “food coma” is that a thing? I come from a culture that has a dish, palt, that replaces the word “food” in that sentence. Honestly, a decent “palt koma” is better than any sleep-aid I’ve ever had and I’ve never noticed any impact on digestion as a consequence.

So, I don’t know if I’m the right person to answer your question. Doubtful. The only thing I can offer is: as long as you still eat the same amount overall, I don’t see any harm in eating it earlier and see what outcome that has.

1 Like

@anna_5588 to add to the above, don’t want you to miss it which is why it’s not an edit:

Consider what your food intake looks like first before fretting about the time. Are you still scarfing down insane amounts of spinach, mushrooms, and/or other vegetables/low-calorie filling stuff? Then reduce that first while making up for the lost calories with easily digestible stuff.

This is more dying vicariously.

1 Like

Talking about hiking is also loads more fun than actually hiking.

2 Likes

I was asking because my digestion has randomly gone haywire the past week. Usually it might go off occasionally, but for very obvious reasons (ie grill night) and the effects don’t last

I also don’t think I should add any more food since I’ve been putting on weight. I’m honestly pretty disappointed that my metabolism hasn’t “adapted” to allow me to eat more

YEARS of killing yourself won’t be undone by a month or two of eating slightly more. It will take a long time. You’re starting to fix it but you’ve still only improved 5-10%. Eat the same and cut your non-lifting activity in half or less and you’ll undo the damage quicker.

1 Like

It has.

I didn’t tell you to add food, I told you to replace some of what you are consuming with other food-stuffs.

I’ll make the assumption that you view this as adding food for one reason: you know those food items I’m suggesting you replace are not part of your diet for any other reason than satiety maintenance and blocking nutrient uptake.

Is this a fair presumption of me?

Great, continue putting on weight. Thought this was a goal of yours. I’m not going to scroll back an quote, but as I’m writing this I recall you mentioning being able to pinch more stuff as a indicator of fat gain. Excessive fat gain can’t be pinched, it’s something you can grab between all fingers and the palm of your hand.

By sheer definition, weight gain will allow you to eat more. And, I don’t want to dig up the numbers but your weight gain has been miniscule. While I’m happy you have made some progress, most of that is added water weight and having more contents in your bowel. Not lean tissue. Not fat tissue either.

3 Likes

Week 15: Day 5

Press: 1x14/side, 1x12/side, 5x8/side- feet together, all w. 25lb KB
Renegade row: 3x6/side-25

• went on a boat this morning so felt very dizzy/unstable going in- kept it short, didn’t really feel anything muscularly, but hard to complete