Ankles Bleeding During Cardio

Hey,
Not sure where to ask it so I figured I would try here. My sister’s ankles start to bleed and scrape against her shoes when she does any type of walking/jogging/running for a long period of time.

During the day to day tasks, it doesn’t bleed, but once she does some cardio for over 15 minutes it starts to scrape pretty bad and gets worst.

Any idea what it is? I figured it might be the way she walks since she has tried quite a few running shoes like the shoxs and air, but no luck. I am thinking maybe nike frees would help? Anyone got any ideas or experience in this matter? Thanks

[quote]nascentbeing wrote:
Hey,
Not sure where to ask it so I figured I would try here. My sister’s ankles start to bleed and scrape against her shoes when she does any type of walking/jogging/running for a long period of time.

During the day to day tasks, it doesn’t bleed, but once she does some cardio for over 15 minutes it starts to scrape pretty bad and gets worst.

Any idea what it is? I figured it might be the way she walks since she has tried quite a few running shoes like the shoxs and air, but no luck. I am thinking maybe nike frees would help? Anyone got any ideas or experience in this matter? Thanks [/quote]
Hemophilia???

better socks

Is she wearing those weird little cropped socks that barely cover the foot? She needs some REAL socks that actually cover her ankles. If that’s not good enough, she can wear TWO pairs of socks at once.

If she’s still bleeding, tell her to stop running through thorn bushes.

I had this problem myself. Fixed when I got some real running shoes; Asics Gel-Nimbus, to be exact. I think the entire Asics Gel line sports the best ankle support.

Get some shoes which hold the ankle, rather than let it slip back and forth, abrasively. And make sure to wear running socks.

Go ask a podiatrist and ask about shoes that wont hurt. Or be cheap, and duct tape the area that is rubbing before hand. Thats what I do for blisters.

She needs the right shoes.
Which is not necessarily the most expensive.
And socks that cover the entire shoe.
You should watch her walk from different angles to see if she walks funny. And then figure out the machines to build the muscle to fix it.

[quote]TDetroit wrote:
She needs the right shoes.
Which is not necessarily the most expensive.
And socks that cover the entire shoe.
You should watch her walk from different angles to see if she walks funny. And then figure out the machines to build the muscle to fix it.[/quote]

agreed. and you should also take measurements, of EVERYTHING. measure all of the dimensions of her socks, including weight. do the same with her shoes. measure how far her legs extend to the front and the back when she walks slowly, briskly, jogs, runs, sprints, etc. then measure the play in the movement of the machines. there has to be some sort of imbalance somewhere, theres no way that its as simple as her shoes rubbing where her socks dont cover, or perhaps her shoes are simply too small. theres no way.

If she’s went through different shoes then it must be her socks. I know this from experience. When I wear low cut comfy shoes I wear ankle socks (basically socks that are on or below the ankle) and when I play basketball or workout I wear thick socks that go as high as my shoe.

I remember when I played basketball one time and I didn’t bring a proper pair of socks and wore my ankle socks. My heels were bleeding like crazy.

Whenever you do cardio or weightlifting you should wear thick socks. Girls rarely ever wear thick socks they generally wear really thin ankle socks.

As said before, make sure she wears socks that at least cover her ankle.

You said she’s tried Shox and Air, and you are considering Free’s? These are all Nike products, so try a different brand of shoes.

I highly recommend New Balance, they provide the most cushioning and support.

If she’s dragging her shoes across her ankle then she needs to learn how to run better. Eventually she will trip and go face first into the ground. I’ve seen it live at school on the “jogging” track.

Get longer socks.

-chris