ankle sprain

Anyone know any tips to accelerate the healing of an ankle sprain besides the basics of ice for the first day and then heat following? Also, anyone know a good activity(that has minimal leg involvement) that could be used as a conditioning tool until I can start running again? I thought about Coach Davies’ gpp circuits but they almost always involve alot of leg heavy movements. Thanks in advance.

i just asked this very same question in the sports section. i had a few replys, if you look it should still be on the first page of the forum.

Contrast Bathing. You need to buckets or tubs depending upon how big your foot is. Next fill one with water and ice(2 Bags), fill other with the hottest water you can find. Put foot in which ever one first it doesnt matter, keep there for 1-2 minutes and then immerse it in the other tub hold there for the same amount of time. Repeat 5-10 times. ALWAYS END ON COLD! The alternating of hot and cold creates a pumping action for the blood in the area helping remove any toxins in the area and hasten the healing process while helping to reduce swelling. For more information try this link.

http://www.ithaca.edu/faculty/nquarrie/contrast.html