T Nation

Ankle Injury, Not Healing

So last friday when i was playing basketball, i went up for a rebound and landed on my friends size 13 foot. Everyone heard a crack and i had to get a cab home but it wasnt broken.

I iced it that day, and then ive been putting on some hot , cold patches on it, and wrapping it around.

Its gotten alot better because about a week ago, i had to hop on my right leg but now atleast i can walk somehwat.

The problem is that EVERY morning i wake up, the ankle feels like shit and is hurting, whereelse any other time of the day , it wont have this same feeling, its hurting right now as im posting this topic.

Help, i dont really want to go see a doctor because my bro said there tards when it comes to sports injuries

How are the doctors when it comes to sprains and broken bones?

Did you get an x-ray? did you even see a dr.? Did your ankle roll out or in? There is a chance you fractured/broke the bone where a ligament attaches. I’m by no means a Dr. though.

It gets stiff in the morning because your not moving it around like you are when you awake throughout the day. It’s normal suck it up. But before you call me gay etc I have a bad left ankle and sprained it last year the worse I ever have. Almost a type three, breaking of the ligament(s). So I know what your going through.

I knocked myself out of the gym for a long time on an ankle injury. Is there a real reason you do not want to go to the Dr.? Are you insured? If not, they will set up a payment plan for you (most of them will, anyway). Is there a lot of swelling? You may have done some serious soft tissue damage. That will make you wish you had actually broken it.

Not going to a doctor is stupid because the way to treat a broken bone and a torn ligament are completely different. If you don’t know the problem you could be doing more damage than good with your ‘home remedy’.

I had a type 3 ankle sprain in 2007. If it’s serious, you’ll know. After I got mine I couldn’t walk. I tried to put pressure on it and fell. I did rehab on it for about six months after walking in a special boot for seven. The rehab consisted of extensions against a band, spelling the alphabet with my toes, and round the worlds 10 times each direction(making full circles with the ankle). There were a couple other ones but I forgot them. Try those out and see if that helps.

And I’ve had a grade 2 ankle sprain which only required an air cast for 3 weeks. And no sports for 3 months. It is impossible to know if your ligaments are completely severed (grade 3) or partially severed (grade 2) without going to a doctor.

Bonez does your ankle still flop every once in a while? Mine has since gotten better, but the year after I sprained it, if I tried to cut my ankle would just give. It sucks. So xiao you should try to go to a sports medicine doctor and make sure you’re not harming yourself.

[quote]Ritter wrote:
Bonez does your ankle still flop every once in a while? Mine has since gotten better, but the year after I sprained it, if I tried to cut my ankle would just give. It sucks. So xiao you should try to go to a sports medicine doctor and make sure you’re not harming yourself.[/quote]

No, but I don’t play baseball in low cut cleats anymore. And when I wear low cut running shoes I don’t do anything stupid like engage in random cross training activities. This happened to me over 4 years ago. I don’t worry about it anymore. Invest in good shoes when you play sports that require lateral movement.

Runs about $40 CND for one.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
Ritter wrote:
Bonez does your ankle still flop every once in a while? Mine has since gotten better, but the year after I sprained it, if I tried to cut my ankle would just give. It sucks. So xiao you should try to go to a sports medicine doctor and make sure you’re not harming yourself.

No, but I don’t play baseball in low cut cleats anymore. And when I wear low cut running shoes I don’t do anything stupid like engage in random cross training activities. I don’t worry about it anymore. Invest in good shoes when you play sports that require lateral movement. [/quote]

To add on what BONZE said, I would invest in a ankle brace if you still feel as if your ankle is not “fully” healed. This is the type of ankle brace I use for volleyball and I have no complaints about it at all. You’ll need to learn how to play with one for a bit but once you get used to it you barely notice it at all. You can still preform the required tasks pretty decent when compared to not wearing one. You get strong support and is impossible to roll your ankle in.

Thanks bonez and apple…
I’m not playing sports now that I’m in college but I had to get a brace to play lacrosse in high school. The problem with ligament damage is that unlike bone healing, ligaments will never be as strong as they once were.

[quote]Ritter wrote:
Thanks bonez and apple…
I’m not playing sports now that I’m in college but I had to get a brace to play lacrosse in high school. The problem with ligament damage is that unlike bone healing, ligaments will never be as strong as they once were.[/quote]

Is that last line true? Care to reference it, I’d be interested in reading more about it.

With today’s knowledge on growth hormones I can’t see how that can be the case. Youth is also an important factor on how well someone heals.

So i should go see my doctor about this?

ok and il try the suggestions above.

im really worried because basketball season starts in 3 weeks - 4 weeks and i need this 95% healed by then or im gonna be so mad.

I have a grade 2 ankle sprain right now got it on Wednesday. I’m not sure exactly how I rolled it but I rolled it bad enough to hear a pop. I was on the floor screaming in pain from my ankle. My ankle literally swelled to the size of a baseball or bigger and when I went to the doctor he told me there was a good chance of it being broken. He wasn’t sure if he could get a clear picture from all the swelling.

I was giving a brace and instructed to wear it for 3-to 4 weeks. I couldn’t walk until I had ice it for a good 2 hours. In my feeling of invulnerability I took it off and was able to stand on it single foot. I laid off it just to be safe and about 6 hours later I had random teeth gritting pain “shots” that hurt like hell. Each shot I’d say was the equivalent in rolling your ankle bad enough to not be able to walk on it for a day.

I didn’t bother to ice anymore past the first 4 hours or so mainly out of lazyness but I think I should have for the pains continued for rest of the day. I wouldn’t have any in between “shots” pain I would just randomly feel it for 10 seconds or so and it would die down and go away. They would happen about once every 10-15minutes. It was horrible.

Anyways I woke up this morning with only slight pain when I tried to mess with it a little too much. I could almost walk normal. I even deadlifted 315lbsx6 in order to motivate a friend. A few minutes afterwards I started to get some mild pain, I just tightened the brace as hard as I could and just left it alone. My ankle just feel bitchy but not crippling pain like the day before.

However, once I finally took my brace off and tried to walk on it pain kicked in very quickly and very intensly. As long as my brace is off I can feel the bottom of my leg just start throbbing and hurting like a bitch. I quickly learned that keeping my brace nice and tight is my key avoiding pain. I strongly recommend going to the doctor and getting a brace it helps immensely.

“The problem with ligament damage is that unlike bone healing, ligaments will never be as strong as they once were.”

Unfortunately I very strongly suspect this is true. When I was little I was jumping at a friends house across the street and I jumped off a trampoline and onto a football. I was about 11 or 12 when this happened. I basically hopped home crying like a baby and was unable to put any pressure on it for 3 days. My mom just iced it up but a bandage on it. I suspect this was a very severe sprain and I just sorta rested it out for a week or so.

Ever since then my right ankle, the one I injured on that day, is the ONLY ankle to ever roll or get twisted. I’ve noticed that my ankle sprains are getting more frequent and way more severe as time goes on. This may or may not be due to fact that I won’t really let give it time to heal. I’m literally walking into the gym with a limp, and then trying to deadlift or squat on it.

I STRONGLY recommend you get an ankle brace, as shown above, and to take some time off so you can be ready for basketball season and very possibly prevent another ankle injury. Do not be stubborn about this, you may just sprain your ankle again during basketball season and be out even longer. I’m spraining my ankle a lot more often and more severe as time goes on. I think it was just 8 weeks ago I mildly sprained it and was unable to walk for a day or two. I’m only 17 so I’m not some old guy that heals slowly.

GO see the doctor, GET an ankle brace and LET it heal.

[quote]thesupreme1 wrote:

“The problem with ligament damage is that unlike bone healing, ligaments will never be as strong as they once were.”

[/quote]

Guys come on, this is not necessarily a truth. Soft tissue takes a long time to heal, and if not allowed proper treatment,it will never heal. Case in point. I used to sprain my left ankle a lot, at least 6 high ankle sprains that I can name off the top of my head. Now every time you sprain an ankle and don’t take care of it, even after your therapy or whatever, you’re prone to hurting it again.

Best thing I ever did for my left ankle was break my left foot playing lacrosse. 6 weeks in a cast + 12 weeks of physical therapy, and I’ve never had a problem and never wear a brace and now play semi-pro football at D-Tackle. If you train the muscles around the joint, and have the proper ankle MOBILITY, you will be less likely to acrue injury to that area. SEE A DOCTOR!

A qualified orthopedist or physical therapist can do wonders. I had the option of a soft cast or hard cast, i took the hard cast b/c I knew I was going to play superman in a week. It sucked, but I’m better in the long run. I train a college basketball player who’s had ACL surgery in both knees in HS b4 I started with her, and now besides minor aches and pains, she’s playing great at a D1 school in the Atlantic 10. This whole ligament crap is just that, crap. I’m not saying it’s not a long road you’re on, but let’s be real here, unless you require surgery, rest and proper therapeutic modalities will help you.

Take time off. Ice, massage, stretching if appropriate, and lots of rest. Load up on lots of fish oil and quality foods to heal up faster!!!

[quote]Ritter wrote:
The problem with ligament damage is that unlike bone healing, ligaments will never be as strong as they once were.[/quote]

This is true. When healing a ligment or tendon the human body uses a different kind of collagen (weaker and with more stretch) from when the ligament and tendon is first formed.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
Ritter wrote:
Thanks bonez and apple…
I’m not playing sports now that I’m in college but I had to get a brace to play lacrosse in high school. The problem with ligament damage is that unlike bone healing, ligaments will never be as strong as they once were.

Is that last line true? Care to reference it, I’d be interested in reading more about it.

With today’s knowledge on growth hormones I can’t see how that can be the case. Youth is also an important factor on how well someone heals. [/quote]

My dad and my sports medicine doctor said this is true. My dad happens to be an MD, so I believe him. Also, from personal experience I know it to be true.

Xiao, if you really don’t want to see a doctor, then rest, elevate, and ice your ankle. And don’t run around or anything until it has completely healed.

[quote]thesupreme1 wrote:
I have a grade 2 ankle sprain right now got it on Wednesday. I’m not sure exactly how I rolled it but I rolled it bad enough to hear a pop. I was on the floor screaming in pain from my ankle. My ankle literally swelled to the size of a baseball or bigger and when I went to the doctor he told me there was a good chance of it being broken. He wasn’t sure if he could get a clear picture from all the swelling.

I was giving a brace and instructed to wear it for 3-to 4 weeks. I couldn’t walk until I had ice it for a good 2 hours. In my feeling of invulnerability I took it off and was able to stand on it single foot. I laid off it just to be safe and about 6 hours later I had random teeth gritting pain “shots” that hurt like hell. Each shot I’d say was the equivalent in rolling your ankle bad enough to not be able to walk on it for a day.

I didn’t bother to ice anymore past the first 4 hours or so mainly out of lazyness but I think I should have for the pains continued for rest of the day. I wouldn’t have any in between “shots” pain I would just randomly feel it for 10 seconds or so and it would die down and go away. They would happen about once every 10-15minutes. It was horrible.

Anyways I woke up this morning with only slight pain when I tried to mess with it a little too much. I could almost walk normal. I even deadlifted 315lbsx6 in order to motivate a friend. A few minutes afterwards I started to get some mild pain, I just tightened the brace as hard as I could and just left it alone. My ankle just feel bitchy but not crippling pain like the day before.

However, once I finally took my brace off and tried to walk on it pain kicked in very quickly and very intensly. As long as my brace is off I can feel the bottom of my leg just start throbbing and hurting like a bitch. I quickly learned that keeping my brace nice and tight is my key avoiding pain. I strongly recommend going to the doctor and getting a brace it helps immensely.

Unfortunately I very strongly suspect this is true. When I was little I was jumping at a friends house across the street and I jumped off a trampoline and onto a football. I was about 11 or 12 when this happened. I basically hopped home crying like a baby and was unable to put any pressure on it for 3 days. My mom just iced it up but a bandage on it. I suspect this was a very severe sprain and I just sorta rested it out for a week or so.

Ever since then my right ankle, the one I injured on that day, is the ONLY ankle to ever roll or get twisted. I’ve noticed that my ankle sprains are getting more frequent and way more severe as time goes on. This may or may not be due to fact that I won’t really let give it time to heal. I’m literally walking into the gym with a limp, and then trying to deadlift or squat on it.

I STRONGLY recommend you get an ankle brace, as shown above, and to take some time off so you can be ready for basketball season and very possibly prevent another ankle injury. Do not be stubborn about this, you may just sprain your ankle again during basketball season and be out even longer. I’m spraining my ankle a lot more often and more severe as time goes on. I think it was just 8 weeks ago I mildly sprained it and was unable to walk for a day or two. I’m only 17 so I’m not some old guy that heals slowly.

GO see the doctor, GET an ankle brace and LET it heal. [/quote]

Good advice.
x2