T Nation

Animal Pak Causing Constipation

So I started taking this once a day to coincide with my new training plan and dieting. Within 48 hrs I noticed constipation. Not like I can not go at all, but we will call it stressed and uncomfortable. Maybe some TMI, but I am looking for help lol. Is there something I could take to combat this, because overall it does cover a lot of bases for me? Or just stop them maybe.

Have you ruled out any diet change?

The current diet I am on is one I have been doing for about 2 months, give or take with any bowel issues. The fine tuning I have done to my diet that I reference as “new” above was focusing on consistency on the weekends and limiting my calories more per day to help with additional body fat loss. I will also state that I have, around the time of this Pak, starting drink 2 protein shakes a day (1 of which has creatine).

Here is an example of my diet that I am doing today.

Diet planned for today
Breakfast - 3 eggs plus turkey sausage
Snack - greek yogurt w/ granola
Protein shake
Lunch - Burger patty w/ broccoli
Snack - Peanutbutter oat meal
Light Ab workout planned today
BCAA drink - let it settle
Protein shake w/ creatine powder
Seasoned Chicken breast w/ veggies

Low quality forms of many of the ingredients. Id ditch the multi

2 Likes

Excess protein can cause constipation for some ppl, especially when dieting
Creatine can also reduce hydration levels, which can contribute to constipation
Maybe try drinking more water?

1 Like

Thanks. Can you specify which ones are on the lower quality side so I can look for them in the future?

I am at around 132 oz of water a day. Any recommendation on quantity to up to to potentially nullify such effects?

1 Like

FWIW, I’m 5’11" 180lb and I drink 6L of water/day. I second the recommendation to up water intake, and not give up just yet. There’s alot of new ingredients there and your body may just need a minute to adjust.

2 Likes

Idk honestly, it varies by individual and I’m by no means an expert
I’d also maybe try taking out one of the protein shakes and see if that helps
Another idea might be to replace the Greek yogurt with granola with Greek yogurt with berries. High fiber, low calorie density and very vitamin rich?

1 Like

As soon as i saw the oxide forms of zinc and magnesium I knew it was a low quality formula.

Meat = ultimate multi

1 Like

Poop queen here. I can’t speak to the quality of the supplement you’re taking although I’d agree with the above poster - oxide forms are barely absorbed and don’t do you much good. New onset constipation could also be a hormone shift. If you’re on gear start there. If not it would be worth quitting the vitamin pak for a week or two and see if any changes. I do however have plenty of cures for constipation, should you need them.

2 Likes

Just rofling at “poop queen”.
FWIW I take the Animal Flex product. I also poop like 3x/day, have frequent diarrhea, and the Animal product has had no effect on that (Animal for 2 months, poop king for a lifetime).

1 Like

Take a ton of magnesium glycinate, trust me, you’ll go. * Always consult a healthcare professional

What you mean

Magnesium glyconate is the most bioavailable form of magnesium and is commonly used for constipation. Magnesium citrate also works well.

1 Like

What’s the story behind this coronation?

1 Like

In addition to being a literal shit magnet at work (think projectile cdiff diarrhea, exploding colostomies, purposeful poop projectiles) I’ve garnered the reputation of being able to make ANYONE poop no matter how bad the constipation.

1 Like

You ever have to deal with any giant narcopoops?

I had to remove and pressure blast one friends toilet once after another buddy relapsed, became impacted, then detoxed over at friend #1’s house.

I wasn’t there when it happened, but that thing was like the size of 2 of those 24 oz beer cans stacked together. I can’t imagine something like that emerging from a human being, and after 10 years of carring for a quadruplegic, I can honestly say that I’ve seen some serious shit.

1 Like

Magnesium glycinate will make you crap like crazy is what I mean, you won’t know what constipation is if you take it.