T Nation

Angelina Jolie's Double Mastectomy

NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Angelina Jolie had a double mastectomy to prevent breast cancer.

It sounds like something she’d do because she thought she was only seen for her looks. She reminds me of one of those girls in college who shaves her head because she thinks she’s bucking society’s beauty norms…that takes a lot of self-deception; who said your face was a paragon of beauty?

She should get her mouth fixed so she doesn’t look like a fish.

[quote]Nards wrote:
It sounds like something she’d do because she thought she was only seen for her looks. She reminds me of one of those girls in college who shaves her head because she thinks she’s bucking society’s beauty norms…that takes a lot of self-deception; who said your face was a paragon of beauty?

She should get her mouth fixed so she doesn’t look like a fish.[/quote]

Except she got implants to replace the tissue removed, so her looks shouldn’t really have changed.

You’re spot on about the lips though.

[quote]MaazerSmiit wrote:

You’re spot on about the lips though.[/quote]

bigger target

Clicked on this thread expecting an image of Vader from those horrible SW Prequels.

S

Guys, I hope you understand that the poor woman has been forced into an invidious choice. She carries a gene which greatly increases the risk of breast cancer. Her mother died at the ripe age of 58 from breast cancer. Taken togethor that gave her an estimated 85% chance of developing cancer. As one commentator said “Would you get into an aircarft with an 85% chance of crashing?”

She made about the only sensible call you could make, but what a tough one. Full credit to her. Gutsy decision, gutsy call to go public. I can see why she was made a UN ambassador.

If a Doctor told me that to save myself from cancer they’d have to lop off a leg…I doubt I could make the call.

At the risk of sounding like a total ass, breasts are nothing like legs. But for feeding a baby, they are essentially bags of fat. Cosmetically, they can be easily reproduced as evidenced by tens of thousands of women a year.

It was absolutely a tough decision, but a necessary one.

Now excuse me while I go punch myself in the face.

[quote]Dr. Pangloss wrote:
At the risk of sounding like a total ass, breasts are nothing like legs. But for feeding a baby, they are essentially bags of fat. Cosmetically, they can be easily reproduced as evidenced by tens of thousands of women a year.

It was absolutely a tough decision, but a necessary one.

Now excuse me while I go punch myself in the face.[/quote]
Let me help you with that

Derek is just grateful that it was Angelina and not Salma Hayek.

[quote]Nards wrote:
It sounds like something she’d do because she thought she was only seen for her looks. She reminds me of one of those girls in college who shaves her head because she thinks she’s bucking society’s beauty norms…that takes a lot of self-deception; who said your face was a paragon of beauty?

She should get her mouth fixed so she doesn’t look like a fish.[/quote]

What crawled up your ass today bro? Why the hostility and cynicism?

[quote]Dr. Pangloss wrote:
At the risk of sounding like a total ass, breasts are nothing like legs.
[/quote]

I would hazard the guess that most women would put a lot more worth on their breasts than simply regarding them as bags of fat used to lactate and not much more. Most of the girls I’ve known would be fairly attached to ‘the guys’. Over to the T-Vixens on that one.

My point was that hacking them off would not be an easy decision.

[quote]super saiyan wrote:
Derek is just grateful that it was Angelina and not Salma Hayek.[/quote]
Are correct

[quote]MartyMonster wrote:
My point was that hacking them off would not be an easy decision.
[/quote]

I think the decision was straight forward. I would use the word easy, but I could see why some people wouldn’t.

Let say testicular cancer had all the same risks as breast cancer. My doctor tells me that my nuts have an %85 chance of killing me unless I have them removed. I love my nuts. They’ve served me weii, and I believe I have as much attachment to my nuts as any women does to her breasts. But shave my nutsack and let’s get this over with, because they’re gone. I’ll keep them in a jar on my mantle and remember them fondly, but they’re not serving their purpose any longer so I’m having them removed. In my mind, that’s an easy decision.

And so on the subject of testicular cancer…A mascot may not be the best option.

[quote]Dr. Pangloss wrote:

[quote]MartyMonster wrote:
My point was that hacking them off would not be an easy decision.
[/quote]

I think the decision was straight forward. I would use the word easy, but I could see why some people wouldn’t.

Let say testicular cancer had all the same risks as breast cancer. My doctor tells me that my nuts have an %85 chance of killing me unless I have them removed. I love my nuts. They’ve served me weii, and I believe I have as much attachment to my nuts as any women does to her breasts. But shave my nutsack and let’s get this over with, because they’re gone. I’ll keep them in a jar on my mantle and remember them fondly, but they’re not serving their purpose any longer so I’m having them removed. In my mind, that’s an easy decision.
[/quote]

I don’t agree with this solely on functionality. Angelina Jolie specifically had the procedure done to save the nipple, which is really the only functional use for breasts, in terms of breast feeding, and even then is only for when you have newborns. My testicles have quite a bit more purpose, in terms of reproducing. Not having any children yet, I would be much more hesitant to simply hack them off, at least not without making a hefty donation first to at least try and have kids someday. Again, this is just functionally, I do get there is an emotional aspect, especially for someone like an actress who is known for her looks.

[quote]Dr. Pangloss wrote:

[quote]MartyMonster wrote:
My point was that hacking them off would not be an easy decision.
[/quote]

I think the decision was straight forward. I would use the word easy, but I could see why some people wouldn’t.

Let say testicular cancer had all the same risks as breast cancer. My doctor tells me that my nuts have an %85 chance of killing me unless I have them removed. I love my nuts. They’ve served me weii, and I believe I have as much attachment to my nuts as any women does to her breasts. But shave my nutsack and let’s get this over with, because they’re gone. I’ll keep them in a jar on my mantle and remember them fondly, but they’re not serving their purpose any longer so I’m having them removed. In my mind, that’s an easy decision.
[/quote]

Dude, my wife had her breast removed at 3 years old last year. If she didn’t she would have died. There was nothing easy about it.

[quote]batman730 wrote:

Dude, my wife had her breast removed at 3 years old last year. If she didn’t she would have died. There was nothing easy about it.[/quote]

That, to me, is an easy decision.

I sincerely hope your wife is fully recovered and wish you both a long and healthy life together.

Edit: I think there is a difference between an agonizing decision and an easy one. The removal of a body part in order to save one’s life is both an agonizing and easy one.

[quote]Dr. Pangloss wrote:

[quote]batman730 wrote:

Dude, my wife had her breast removed at 3 years old last year. If she didn’t she would have died. There was nothing easy about it.[/quote]

That, to me, is an easy decision.

I sincerely hope your wife is fully recovered and wish you both a long and healthy life together.

Edit: I think there is a difference between an agonizing decision and an easy one. The removal of a body part in order to save one’s life is both an agonizing and easy one.

[/quote]

Fair enough. When you have no real choice, the decision itself becomes “easy” in that it has been made for you, but the situation may be anything but.

Thanks for your kind wishes.

[quote]MartyMonster wrote:
I can see why she was made a UN ambassador.

.[/quote]

What does her being a Hollywood bundler have to do with her tits?

Dr. Pangloss,

It is my understand that testicular cancer is one of the more curable and manageable cancers there are, is this true ?

I had my entire colon removed when I was 20 yrs old to save my life, when you face shit like that, there is no decision to be made.