T Nation

Andy Souwer Strength and Conditioning

Found this on the Underground forum…

…uhhh…i’ll reserve my comments save can you just imagine how much his trainer makes?

you son of a bitch i just was about to post this LMAO!!!

and you already know what I think of it.

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
you son of a bitch i just was about to post this LMAO!!!

and you already know what I think of it.[/quote]

Please do tell.

lol…i find weird shit on the underground sometimes only to find Xen already posted it 2 days earlier…i’m like CRAP!! and those who don’t know MMA.tv’s forums has some of the craziest trolls and keyboard warriors i’ve ever seen.

Some interesting ideas…man truly loves training rotational strength. ha

Nothing like trainning with 20 lb. dumb bells… LOL.

The best part of that video was hearing “Firestarter” again. Love that song.

Yeh it’s titled strength training, but it looks more like mobility and co-ordination work.

Anyhow, doesn’t matter if you’ve seen the way the guy fights.

Absolute warrior and not every fighter needs a strength routine that resembles an Olympic weightlifters routine or the like.

True humble but I believe his success is inspite of his routine not because of it.

Though he’s probably just doing enough “strength training” to correct imbalances improve a few attributes and the rest of the time he’s spending actually fighting.

In which case I approve of.

But calling that stuff strength training makes me chuckle

[quote]humble wrote:
Yeh it’s titled strength training, but it looks more like mobility and co-ordination work.

Absolute warrior and not every fighter needs a strength routine that resembles an Olympic weightlifters routine or the like.[/quote]

I agree. And if someone is that good and if strength is not limiting him, weight room stuff should be limited to mobility prehab/rehab type of stuff. Hell, I’ll be the first one to say that for many, strength training is overrated. But for dopes like me who lack crazy natural/genetic KO power, well, it’s gotta be done.

All depends on the person.

Xen and California, I agree on both accounts.

Strength training prior to skill training can really muck up your nervous system/motor recruitment order for sport specific stuff.

Even if you are elite and then all of a sudden concentrate on strength work too much, you can lose your handle and bearings.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
humble wrote:

Absolute warrior and not every fighter needs a strength routine that resembles an Olympic weightlifters routine or the like.

I agree. And if someone is that good and if strength is not limiting him, weight room stuff should be limited to mobility prehab/rehab type of stuff. Hell, I’ll be the first one to say that for many, strength training is overrated. But for dopes like me who lack crazy natural/genetic KO power, well, it’s gotta be done.

All depends on the person. [/quote]

Strength training is not weightlifting, olympic lifting, or bodybuilding. Good strength programs use some protocols from each, but not exercises and protocols that are useless or counterproductive to athletic excellence.

This is the sad truth:
http://www.elitefts.com/documents/are_we_improving_performance.htm