Androgenic Effects Of Natural Testosterone Boosters

I’m thinking of using a plant-based testosterone booster, such as tribulus, avena sativa etc.

Supposedly, they increase testosterone up to the high normal range. I have no idea where I am now, probably somewhere around average.

I’m wondering about the side effects the testosterone elevation may have on my body besides muscle gain: these products are advertised to increase sex drive - I don’t have any trouble in that department, and I rather think it could become a problem for me and my wife if, all of a sudden, my needs changed.

Also, I wonder whether there is a chance of increased aggression. I can already be quite choleric at times, and I worry whether this stuff could push me over the edge.

Finally, I want to know whether higher testosterone levels could lead to increased growth of facial and body hair. There are certainly unassisted men out there with hairier backs than mine, and I hope it will stay that way…

I would be very thankful for any feedback by people who have already used natural testosterone boosters.

loco -
I had the same questions before I tried Alpha Male. Everyone reacts differently I imagine but I can tell you my experiences.

• Increased sex-drive? Yes, I was much hornier when I started taking Alpha Male and I, like you, had no problems with that before. But I noticed a big increased for sure. Almost animal like.
  • Aggression? Yes, there was an increase in my aggressiveness. I am slighty aggressive by nature but can almost always control my temper. Alpha Male made it much harder to control my temper.
  • Facial & Body Hair? Maybe a slight increase in the rate of growth of facial hair. I didn’t notice any new hair popping up anywhere though. Again, this is a big maybe about the rate of growth.
    My skin was oilier when taking Alpha Male and that was the biggest drawback to taking this testosterone booster. Luckily, I didn’t experience any acne with it though. I didn’t think Alpha Male was doing anything for me (training-wise) until a couple weeks into it I noticed it was much easier to complete those last reps. Also, I recommend only taking Alpha Male while bulking or during maintenence. I combined it with Red Bands to cut this summer and I think that was a mistake. The Alpha Male had me hungry all the time. Like animal hunger(I know the references to “animal” in this post sound kind of cheesy but it is the only way I can explain it). Eating all the time and cutting don’t really go well together! Hope this makes sense and helps you out. If you have any other questions I will try to help out.

[quote]loco wrote:
I’m thinking of using a plant-based testosterone booster, such as tribulus, avena sativa etc.

Supposedly, they increase testosterone up to the high normal range. I have no idea where I am now, probably somewhere around average.

I’m wondering about the side effects the testosterone elevation may have on my body besides muscle gain: these products are advertised to increase sex drive - I don’t have any trouble in that department, and I rather think it could become a problem for me and my wife if, all of a sudden, my needs changed.

Also, I wonder whether there is a chance of increased aggression. I can already be quite choleric at times, and I worry whether this stuff could push me over the edge.

Finally, I want to know whether higher testosterone levels could lead to increased growth of facial and body hair. There are certainly unassisted men out there with hairier backs than mine, and I hope it will stay that way…

I would be very thankful for any feedback by people who have already used natural testosterone boosters.[/quote]

I think it’s important to keep in mind that your sex drive may increase slightly or there may be no effect at all. Various studies, in which high amounts of exogenous testosterone were administered, often times failed to establish a clear increase in sex drive. The rest of your concerns follow a similar trend. In the general population, many of the effects have reached near myth-like status.

The issue of aggression, is itself problematic as the definition of what people see as “aggressive” is varied. My opinion of aggressive is simply that you’re more apt to be assertive and will be more apt to act in a situation where you’d normally be passive. Many seem to think of “aggression” as ill-tempered behavior. Well, according to the preponderance of literature, low testosterone levels are actually associated with such behavior. Specifically, violent outbursts, irritability, depression in general and supplementation of testosterone has been shown to alleviate such symptoms where low testosterone is thought to be the cause. On the other end of the spectrum, exogenous testosterone administration, yielding supraphysiological levels of testosterone has in the majority of cases, shown no increase in violent behavior, except in those that are prone to manic behavior.

As for body hair growth, this is more associated with men who express higher amounts of certain enzyme expression and thus are more prone to such effects when testosterone concentrations are increased. Although, as I’ve said before, because you’re only increase endogenous testosterone to the high-normal range, you’re not really providing enough substrate for this to be an issue in a male who isn’t already displaying such a thing.

splkast and Cy,

thank you very much for your detailed answers.

splkast, good that you thought of mentioning oily skin/acne. I already have quite oily skin, and as a teenager and early twen, I had acne problems. Maybe I should reconsider tampering with my testosterone levels…

Cy, my aggressivity falls more into the irritability type, so maybe higher t- levels will even be beneficial in this respect?

I have to give the issue some more thought before I act, but ultimately, I will have to try it if I really want to know what will happen…