Andrew's Westside Log

DE Squat/Dead
Box Squat(speed)
115x2x8
245x2
265x2

Speed Pulls
185x1x8(sumo)

A1)SLDL off 3 blocks(bar on shoestrings)
135x6,155x6,175x6(kept it light)
A2)Straight leg raises
3x12

Andrew,

Looking good. As far as accessory movements to do when you don’t have access to a GHR or reverse hyper, don’t forget the following movements:

Band leg curls
seated GMs
pullthroughs
More dimel DLs

Your workout looks a lot like mine before I joined a powerlifting gym.

Make it happen.
-Brian

if you can get your 2 board raw ot 245-250 you can bench a easy 300 in a fury…bm

DE Bench
Speed Bench
140x3x8(3 grips)

close grip(14 inch) 4 board press
worked up to
175x3
185x3
205x3

A1)DB Shrugs
40x15,50x12,60x10
A2)Straight leg situp
35x8x3

B.Whiddon- I dont have any bands yet (going to purchase some when I get stronger) so I can’t do any band leg curls. I dont have a low pulley station to do pullthroughs, have you ever used a DB variation? What is the ROM on the seated goodmornings, I have a hard time bending far at all while sitting with straight legs.

It is getting nice outside, and the metrosexuals in my school are shaving their legs, so that means its time to add some extra GPP and clean up the diet for summer. I am gonna build a sled, any other GPP ideas anyone.

hahaha…I can relate Andrew. The metrosexuals are out in full force here too.

Not the best, but an alternative… machine lying leg curls while you do not have bands. I do them because I do not have access to a GHR (they save those for the varsity athletes), and I do not have bands. I believe they have increased my strength and I’m around the same strength levels as you and weight as you (165lbs, 305 box squat, 375 DL, and 215 BP, all raw no belt or anything).

“What is the ROM on the seated goodmornings”

if your rom is too small maybe your box/bench is too low.

Andrew,

My range of motion is from perpendicular to the bench to having my chest about 6 inches from touching the bench. It will take just a little bit of work to get that low but getting that low will really work the stabilization muscles of the lower back and obliques.

Get it done.
Brian

ME Squat/ Dead

Conv. Deadlift (raw)
worked up to
315x1
335x1(10lb pr)
350x1(25lb pr, 2xbodyweight)
360x fail at knees

Dimel Deadlift
140x20
140x20

Seated GM(setup a little akward, but I liked this variation I think I will include it on ME day when a gdmrn variation is not used)
95x5
135x5
155x5
165x5

DB Shrugs
40x15
50x15
60x15

Meet Schedule(?):
Sept 11(usapl):bench only
Nov 1(usapl):3 lift

Andrew, where are those two meets?

I’m having trouble finding any near me (New England). I found on May 15, but it’s my brother’s graduation, and one June 18th. I want to watch one before competing to see how everything goes on.

Those two meets are in michigan. For USAPL meets in the new england area check this out: http://www.newenglandusapl.com/Calendar[1].htm
You might want to search ‘new england powerlifting’ or something like that in google and see what comes up.I too want to go see a meet, I have never competed either.

ME Bench

4 board press
worked up to
225x1
245x1
255x1(PR)

a1) lying barbell ext
75x5x5
a2)db cleans
10x15x5

b1)front raise
10x15x3
b2)elbows out ext
10x15x3

Hopefully my Fury, belt and wrist wraps will be here for next weeks ME bench. I am adding in extra workouts slowly, but havent been posting them. I think on thursday im gonna do hamstrings/traps/weighted gpp, and satutrday lats/abs/triceps/bw gpp.

DE Squat/Dead
Speed Box Squat
155x2x8
225x3
245x3
265x3

Speed Pulls(conv.)
185x1x10

A1)Goodmorning
135x5
155x5
185x5
205x5

A2)Straight leg raises
4x10

All the DE stuff felt very quick today, hopefully that is a good sign. My fury got here yesterday, I got it on with help from my dad(who suggested about 5 times to get a bigger size while trying to get the damn thing on) it felt very tight on my forearms, though. Seeing the lbs. go up(hopefully) will make it well worth it.

DE Bench

speed bench(3 grips)
140x3x8

14 inch grip 3 board press
worked to a heavy triple
175x3
195x3

a1) Bent over row
75x15x3
a2)front raise
10x10x3
a3)elbow out ext
10x15,15x15,15x15

15 more days until the 8 week mark, I will prolly max out squat and dead lift(both raw) on week 9. I probably want max bench, just yet, because I will be doing work in my shirt. Happy mothers day to all the moms out there.

ME squat/dead

Goodmorning
worked up to
225x1
245x1
260x1(pr)
270x1(15 lb pr)
275xfail

RDL
225x3
245x3
255x3

A1)Straight leg situp
25x10
30x10
35x10

A2)straight leg raises
3x10

ME Bench
Worked in my shirt

Nothing went right, I dont think I had my shirt on right, something doesn’t seem right in the neck area, I tried haveing someone pull it down but it doesnt seem to budge. I could barely get my arms out wide enough to take my grip(which is farely close). I couldn’t steady the bar at the top and I had a hard time hitting 3 boards. When I put on enough weight to touch 3 boards I got crushed with 255, a weight I probably could of done raw. This is where not having a training partner or knowing anyone involved in the sport of powerlifting hurts. I have to ask my parents to help me get my shirt on, I have no one to give me a lift off, it sucks. After getting crushed by 255, my left forearm/elbow felt weird. I just shut it down, being hot, frustrated, and fuckin pissed doesn’t make a good workout.

Tommorow, I am going to do some assistant work that I should of done today.  I need to take a step back and re-evaluate my bench workouts.  Also, more work in the shirt is a must, it doesn't come easy.  I challenge anyone that says they can just throw on a shirt and add 50-100 lbs. to go and do it.  Today, I realized that a shirt is not magic and takes work just like anything else in life.  On the bright side, I have no pain in my left arm, and after a disasterous workout, I can no step back and re-examine my training for the bench.  Sorry for the rant, I am done now.  

I am open for any suggestions on working in the fury and how to get in on right.  If anyone has some pics, or a vid of them getting their fury or any other shirt on it would be extremely helpful.BTW my Squat/Deadlift workouts have been going great, I have put 75+ lbs on my deadlift in about 3 months, and 400 lbs(raw) @175 is in sight.

Does anyone know of a powerlifting gym in the Detriot area?

Andrew,

Here is a PM I sent Big Martin a while back. FYI, we are not putting on the fury’s with the plams facing the body. It seems to put less torque on the elbows.

Sebatian said he is really starting to like working with the Fury. He thinks it can be rigged almost just as well as a denim. 1st off, I got my new Fury a week ago. I thought it was way too big. They sent me a 50 and I’m weighing 218lbs. The chest plate and the arms fit good but the back was way too big. I could actually grab the material in the back and fold it over. After working with Sebatian, I think it is a great fit.

Here is the process we went through:

1. When you 1st put it on, put it on with your palms facing up. This will allow the shoulders to seat well and will give extra support when you turn your hands over to grab the bar.

2. Pull up on the back of the shirt and pull the front down, hard! This allows you to get more support around the chest area.

3. Put on your belt to hold the shirt in place.

4. Pull the shoulders down in the front to get more support across the chest. The shoulder seams were parallel with the ground. Pull down any excess material in the arms to get the shoulders tight.

5. Once the shoulders were in place, Sebatian pulled down around the front of the neck while someone else pulled the shirt down at the bottom. Basically what this did was to fully stretch the shirt in the front while the neck was in place and allowed no movement of the shirt once it was on.

6. Use adhesive in the front to help the neck stay in place around the chest and keep the shirt pulled down.

7. Used adhesive on the back of the neck and shoulders to help stick to the bench and allow maximum arch.

ME Bench Take 2
Incline press
worked up to
165x1
175x1
185x1(pr)

lying barbell ext
55x8x7

a1)DB row
60x5x3
a2)DB shrug
60x8x3

Brian, thanks for the help. I am going to try to work in the shirt more next week. Big Martin sent me a PM similar to what you said, so hopefully I can get my shirt fitting right.

Did BM tell you anything different? Any other advice not covered? Come on, give it up!

Brian

DE Squat/Dead

GPP WARM UP
a1)straight leg raise
2x10
a2)DB Pullthrough
2x10
a3)DB Shrug
2x10

Speed Box Squat
175x2x8
225x2
255x2
275x2

Speed Pulls
205x1x8

Dimel Deadlift
140x20x2

I might be building a sled sometime soon to drag, if it turns out I will post some pics if anyone is intrested.  Brian, this is the whole PM big martin sent me, very similar to what you said,  .

andrew1 wrote:
I got my Fury a couple of days ago, but havent benched in it yet. I got it on with help from dad, but the shirt was not sitting right on my upper chest. It is a size 42(my chest is 40) so I should be able to get it on without much trouble. The arms seems very tight, with a bunch of pulling and tugging i got it near my elbow but it made my arms turn red(seemed like it was cutting of circulation), If I get it on I might do some high board triples today on DE day to get a feel. Any help getting it on would be appreciated. I will probably be sending you a PM about training in it, either later tonight or a couple of days.

you will want to roll the sleeves up twice once about a half inch and then once about a 1/4 inch…when you get the shirt on push the back all thw way up to the upper back lower traps so the shirt is bunched up in this region…after this have some one pull down the bottom front of the shirt as hard as they can while some one else pulls down the neck as hard as you can…use your arsm and make a swimming motion in the shirt for about 30 seconds non stop and then repeat the part where you ahve some one pull down the bottom front of the hsirt while some one else pulls down the neck…belt the mother tight and high…start off with 5 boards and work your way down very very slowly doing lots of sets of triples…i would during your first two work outs int he shirt only go down to the 2 board region save the 1 bard and chest work for right before the meet.

one thing about the fury i have found is it stretches easily…after about 8 training session the shirt becomes almost a entire size bigger…so i would shcedule out about 4-5 work outs in the shirt before your meet dont go much above that…or i would use this one as training and use it all the time ot really learn the shirt…but yea there a great shirt…and have fun …and hit me up with any questions…bm,

DE Bench

GPP WARM UP
a1) Front raise
2x10
a2) Elbows out ext.
2x15
a3) Side Raise
2x10

Speed Bench
125x3x8(3 grips)

14 inch grip 1 board press
worked up to a heavy triple