The Best Pre-Workout is Hatred

I think we’ve just seen too many bros that go to the gym only for the pump and get kinda big, then stop growing. We’ve seen plenty of people with crazy numbers on powerlifts start leaning out and they’re effing jacked. Pump has a lot of great benefits that shouldn’t be ignored at all, but IDK if basing a whole program on the concept of pump alone is the key to success here. I also think ignoring the pump is a great way to miss out on some great gainz.

Fortitude pushed the concept of getting stronger in powerlifts, while using DC methods to get stronger everywhere else, then using loaded/extreme stretching to use the benefits of the pump. Doesn’t have to be fortitude, but the man wasn’t wrong IMO - his program targets every major pathway to getting huge.

(sorry, I feel like I was flaming the pump here and I’m not. It’s super beneficial, just not on it’s own IME)

I said it before, and I think it’s worth repeating… 5/3/1 base can be added to most any program. you can still probably do Meadows stuff (with alterations for certain powerlifts) and 5/3/1 - that way you enjoy training too.

2 Likes

@Tim_Patterson @Jared_Maggard @Christian_Thibaudeau Do I need to create a new log for the Metcon for Muscle program or can this one be moved over with the others in #surge-challenge:metcon-for-muscle-logs ?

I’ve used this log for the New Muscle Pump as well as my normal training, but I can create a new one if needed.

Please create a new log.

1 Like

Putting a pin in this log for now.

Follow the new log if interested:

2 Likes

Sounds like you might be right - it’s for coaches. This is a good catch, because I was just treating it like a log and making comments; I’m going to keep it streamlined now - thanks for pointing it out @rugby_lifting!

2 Likes

Moving back here as the Metcon for Muscle program is over; my diet/training break is over too.

Plan: 5/3/1 PPL+Gap w/ Arm Specialization via BFR

5/3/1 = Same as written, except that OHP and Bench will be performed on same day.
Assistance = Explosive Concentric | 2-3sec Eccentric.
BFR = Blood Flow Restriction | weight will be dramatically reduced for these exercises.

Stats:

5’9
223.6lb (weighed this morning)
28y/o
Maxes:
Deadlift: 572lb > 520lb TM
Squat: 445lb > 405lb TM
Overhead Press: 209lb > 190lb TM
Bench: 346lb > 315lb TM
Goals:

• (short-term) Arms >18" (will have to put a hold on this after 4 weeks of current training block).
  • (short-term) Sustainably 6-pack lean (estimated 10-15lbs weight loss required).
  • (long-term) FFMI > 30 (likely north of 27 currently).
  • (long-term) Reach the 1500lb Big-3 Club (137lb away, if Wendler 1RM calculations are accurate).
  • Not failing school while doing so.

Will continue with Surge Workout Fuel throughout my training.

Tagging my homies that have been following along on the other log
@TrainForPain @rugby_lifting @SpearsHF @Lonnie123 @davemccright @onfire1 @antiquity @aldebaran @dagill2 @throwawayfitness
If you’ve been tagged, don’t feel obligated to follow along - I only tagged those who commented or liked anything in my Metcon for Muscle log. Thanks for following along =)
(1/2)

11 Likes

^^ (continuing because 10-tag limit)
@unicornsandrainbows @jdm135 @QuadQueen @creative_name @mnben87 @tlgains @hicks92 @FlatsFarmer @Tim_Patterson @Jared_Maggard
If you’ve been tagged, don’t feel obligated to follow along - I only tagged those who commented or liked anything in my Metcon for Muscle log. Thanks for following along =)
(2/2)

8 Likes

A short term goal to increase arm size :thinking:

Synthol haha.

This will also hurt the goal haha.

I think a great goal is better looking arms, which may actually be smaller, but look more defined and due to proportions look bigger. That can be accomplished with the leaning out alone.

You have better arm genetics than I do, but leaning out takes some arm size from me, and I don’t store much fat on the limbs. The arms usually look better though.

3 Likes

10/10/22 - Pull

Weight: 223.6lb
Recovery: 30% (slept 3h 31m, lol)

Let’s hurt some feelings.

+20min Zone 3 Cardio via Stationary Bike at lv10 and 60rpm (goal)

• Welp, I said if I was smart, I’d run a tune-up session over the weekend… guess I’m not that smart lol.
  • Deadlifts felt okay, was struggling to hit those reps but still hit 8x445… too stubborn to let 3.5hrs sleep get in the way i guess.
  • Called an audible and did Cable Rows instead of Yates Rows, lower back is thanking me.

Dropped TRT dose to 140mg/wk. Mental sides.
Supplementing B6 to lower Prolactin.
Will be running Semaglutide in the near future, details will be documented in TRT Thread when I get there.

UPDATE:
I’m very sore and beat up after this session. That 2 weeks off did everything I think it needed to - hoping this soreness also means training/nutrient resensitization.

^^Forgot to mention I am taking Micro-PA each workout. Have gone through 1 bottle, have another 2-3 bottles left and will run it until I run out.

5 Likes

Thanks for the tag, will try to follow.
Looks like a solid plan, can you clue me in about BFR?
You’re built like a brick shithouse, 3" shorter than me and 30+ heavier, and strong AF. Nice.

2 Likes

Thank you! Been at it a while, just need to lean out for once lol.

Blood Flow Restriction details here

^(from article)
I’ll add to the point that BFR lifting is fucking hard. I was curling a 30lb BB yesterday with BFR and was struggling to get the reps I need… Was curling 100lb BB when running DC training.

EDIT: I’m using these. Was considering buying the inflatable cuffs but didn’t want to drop 3+ bills on something I hadn’t toyed with yet.

1 Like

Interesting for sure! So there’s an inflatable band you’re locating in specific areas?
“Gangrene” LOL!

1 Like

@jdm135 not the inflatable ones, just elastic ones (hyperlinked above) for now. If I get solid results with these cheap ones, i might purchase the expensive inflatable ones (roughly $300 for a set). And yes, gangrene if you leave them on too long lol. I can quote the science-y stuff from Fortitude Training is you’re interested.

10/12/22 - Push

Weight: 225.6lb
Recovery: 87% (6h 2m sleep)

+5 mins Rower at 1m on, 1m off. Stopped after 3rd round for R bicep pain.

• Did well on OHP and okay on Bench. May need to lower Bench TM.
  • Pretty sweet pump from those OH Triceps Ext.
  • Need food and sleep.
5 Likes

10/13/22 - Push

Weight: 223.4lb
Recovery: 90% (6h 16m sleep)

Warmup/Cardio:
5min Stairmaster @ lv8, 325 steps, 164bpm avg

• Did great on Squats despite feeling iffy in them.
  • Might need to add some trap work into this day… loaded carries might answer the mail.
4 Likes

10/17/22 - Pull+Arm Makeup

Weight: 223.3lb
Recovery: 46% (4h 7m sleep)

Was supposed to hit an arm session last week that didn’t happen, made up for it (kind of) but combining Pull with Biceps. Didn’t double-dip exercises and realized I’m going to struggle with 3 Biceps exercises for my Gap day (because BFR).

• Deadlifted 470x7. Felt good, almost passed out.
  • No extra cardio today. Need more sleep to justify extra work.
4 Likes

10/20/22 - Push+Arm Makeup

Weight: 222.2lb
Recovery: 82% (5h 41m sleep)

Warmup/Cardio:
5min Stairmaster @ lv8, 330 steps, 166bpm avg

+5min Stationary Bike at Cardio Zone 3

• OHP went well, bench felt funky.
  • I’m going back to DC style training for everything but my powerlifts and arms. I just enjoyed it more.

Okay confession time. My adherence to training and dieting has been GARBAGE lately. I’m not making progress on my cut, not interested in following training plans, and have already bastardized MY OWN training program on week 2.

I need to refocus on my diet and training. I watched a pretty lengthy Renaissance Periodization video on diet motivation, took some notes and need to apply these practices. I will likely need to turn this log into a Training and Diet log to increase adherence.

I’ve also purchased and begun reading 12 Rules for Life by Jordan Peterson… I’m stagnant and I recognize it; this has to change. I’m better than this. My family deserves better than this.

I may even start tanning again to boost visual feedback.

4 Likes

Do you know why?

1 Like

This question is proving more difficult to answer than I anticipated… I’ve started typing out a response a few times now and had to re-start each time. I know some of the reasons why I’m struggling with this, but it’s certainly not 1 thing. Frankly, I’m struggling to see where I’m going wrong (other than the obvious not adhering to the diet issue).

I’m going to frame my answer around the RP video I watched so I can try to be concise:

• Inspiration: I get inspired to train quite regularly, I just don’t follow through with it as needed
  • Motivation: I’m hit or miss here - as are most people… I know I can’t rely on motivation alone.
  • Intention: I’m usually pretty good here. I set up some pretty well-thought out plans, but intent means little without follow-through.
  • Discipline: I’m hit or miss here as well - which inherently means I’m lacking in it. I need practice and accountability for this… it wouldn’t surprise me if I was the person who needed a trainer just for the accountability aspect. Being accountable to myself isn’t working the way it needs to.
  • Habit: I have plenty of good habits surrounding training and diet, just not enough to provide the adherence I need for a more strict diet. I could improve here by doing 2 rounds of meal prep as I currently only meal prep once a week, which doesn’t cover the weekends (when my diet tends to be at it’s worst).
  • Passion: I’m passionate about training, just not about dieting. Will take a lot of time for this to develop.

Anyways, I hope this answers your question (for both our sakes!) - but I know full well that I don’t have the introspective capacity to see this through myself. I think I will take CT’s Neurotype test and see what I can pull from that.

EDIT:
I took the neurotype test and am Type 3 with Subtype 1A

1 Like

Couple of thoughts,

Maybe it’s time to look at what type of training you’ve done that you really enjoyed and stick with that? Even if it doesn’t align with your goals right now might be worth the switch to get your groove back again.

Could maybe do a really strict, really low cal diet for 2 weeks. Might help start some movement and a short timescale may help with the motivation.

Or maybe just stay at maintenance for a while but get back those healthy habits. I quite often skip breakfast at a weekend if I know I’ll be having a bigger lunch or dinner, buys me some spare calories.

Finally I think you may need to take a step back and admire you physique and what you have achieved. Make sure you feel good in the clothes you wear out so you feel buff, be proud of the work you have put in, stand tall and good luck on getting out of the rut!

1 Like

This is why I audibled Rest-Pause into my program on week 2 lol. Certainly valid input; I have to enjoy the process more.

Yeah, you’re super right about this - but then my Body Dysmorphia steps in and says “you still look like shit tho” lol. I’m well aware that I’ve got a physique many would love to have, I’m just not at the point where I love the physique that I have… I also don’t know if there will ever be a time I do love the way I look…

^Should probably get some therapy for this, but I just don’t trust/like therapists

I also started tanning again because a huge part of all this is actually enjoying the way I look, and I know I look better/feel better tanned.

2 Likes