Andrea Petkovic Tennis Tantrum

I miss the days of John McEnroe’s focused abuse but this German girl is pretty feisty. First she walks back and forth arguing, then she gets down and starts touching the line and gesticulating at it, then she prostrates herself several times with arms outstretched in submission praying, then she starts swearing…then, well I won’t spoil the ending.

It seems to me there’s a lot of these sorts of people in professional sports and they’re clearly mentally ill. Sometimes there’s a domineering parent. There’s a young tennis player in Australia whose father’s flip outs became so extreme he was banned all over the world from attending his daughter’s matches and was eventually arrested in possession of grenades in an assassination attempt on an umpire or something. Don’t you think this kind of craziness is becoming an increasing problem in professional sports? Back in the day sportsmanship and personal and team / country honour was valued much more highly than today. One of the things that bugs me is bringing politics into sports with athletes refusing to compete as a political stunt and so on. Is sportsmanship dead?

From what I understand, the ball was CLEARLY out, but the line judge called it in…

If that is the case, then the line judge is clearly trying to fuck with her game, thereby fucking with her profession and, by extension, her INCOME. One could almost make the case that he is “stealing”.

Given the size of the purses in these matches, she probably stands to lose quite a bit of money because of that call (which was clearly wrong). So the line judge stole tens of thousands of dollars from her.

I don’t know about you, but where I come from, if someone stole tens of thousands of dollars from me, he’d have more than a racquet thrown at him…

It’s 2015. I see sports all the time where they show on live TV events that CLEARLY contradict the “call on the field”. And then they have the balls to say “bad sportsmanship”. How about fining the line judge for NOT DOING HIS FUCKING JOB and influencing the outcome of a match?

In football, we have the instant replay. In horse racing, we have the snap shot at the finish line, how fucking hard is it in Tennis to reverse a bad call that the ENTIRE WORLD SAW?

[quote]angry chicken wrote:
From what I understand, the ball was CLEARLY out, but the line judge called it in…

If that is the case, then the line judge is clearly trying to fuck with her game, thereby fucking with her profession and, by extension, her INCOME. One could almost make the case that he is “stealing”.

Given the size of the purses in these matches, she probably stands to lose quite a bit of money because of that call (which was clearly wrong). So the line judge stole tens of thousands of dollars from her.

I don’t know about you, but where I come from, if someone stole tens of thousands of dollars from me, he’d have more than a racquet thrown at him…

It’s 2015. I see sports all the time where they show on live TV events that CLEARLY contradict the “call on the field”. And then they have the balls to say “bad sportsmanship”. How about fining the line judge for NOT DOING HIS FUCKING JOB and influencing the outcome of a match?

In football, we have the instant replay. In horse racing, we have the snap shot at the finish line, how fucking hard is it in Tennis to reverse a bad call that the ENTIRE WORLD SAW?

[/quote]

Major tournaments use the hawkeye replay system. Not sure at what level they stop using it or if it is venue by venue basis. But it is in use, and really a bad out call is only about like a bad called strike three. They matter but not quite as much as you would think.

I’ve been gambling on WTA for years. The lack of hawkeye in some venues is pretty standard as its quite expensive. Unfortunately that type of behavior in womens tennis is not. Some of those girls are pretty highly strung although I am surprised at Pet as she is usually pretty calm.

Terrible call for sure but happens all the time.

Edit - You will only usually see hawkeye on the centre/major courts at most places. For example at Flushing Meadows {where the US open is held} only the larger courts have hawkeye {maybe 4-5??} all of the other outer courts. which is about 20, have nothing.

[quote]blindpirate wrote:
I’ve been gambling on WTA for years.[/quote]

I thought I had a problem when I was betting on baseball.

Edit: This should probably go in the old-timers thread, but remember when you used to have to have a bookie to place bets? I used to call the guy, go through all the bets, arrange to meet to exchange money…it was a hassle.

[quote]Dr. Pangloss wrote:

[/quote]

Its brutal. Cant help myself.

[quote]Dr. Pangloss wrote:

Edit: This should probably go in the old-timers thread, but remember when you used to have to have a bookie to place bets? I used to call the guy, go through all the bets, arrange to meet to exchange money…it was a hassle.
[/quote]

There are still guys running books out there. Its becoming harder and harder to set up and fund an online account. Plus there’s no regulation with online books. Of course im referring to people who live in the US here outside of Nevada.

If you have the stones {see wire act} and the bankroll being a bookie now is probably as profitable as ever.

Atleast this is happening with the win of a professional sport on the line.

My roommate throws actual tantrums. Has anyone ever witnessed an adult male throwing a temper tantrum because they can’t handle adult emotions?

…Yeah I deal with that on a weekly basis.

[quote]Phoenix44e wrote:

My roommate throws actual tantrums. Has anyone ever witnessed an adult male throwing a temper tantrum because they can’t handle adult emotions?

…Yeah I deal with that on a weekly basis.[/quote]

Well. Now you mention it…

[quote]SexMachine wrote:

I miss the days of John McEnroe’s focused abuse but this German girl is pretty feisty. First she walks back and forth arguing, then she gets down and starts touching the line and gesticulating at it, then she prostrates herself several times with arms outstretched in submission praying, then she starts swearing…then, well I won’t spoil the ending.

It seems to me there’s a lot of these sorts of people in professional sports and they’re clearly mentally ill. Sometimes there’s a domineering parent. There’s a young tennis player in Australia whose father’s flip outs became so extreme he was banned all over the world from attending his daughter’s matches and was eventually arrested in possession of grenades in an assassination attempt on an umpire or something. Don’t you think this kind of craziness is becoming an increasing problem in professional sports? Back in the day sportsmanship and personal and team / country honour was valued much more highly than today. One of the things that bugs me is bringing politics into sports with athletes refusing to compete as a political stunt and so on. Is sportsmanship dead?[/quote]

Possibly related – she’s a study in how androgens wreck a woman’s face. She used to be very pretty.

Now it’s a man, baby.

Nothing new.
I’m old enough to remember Jimmy Conners acting like an on-court brat.

[quote]angry chicken wrote:

[/quote]

It doesn’t matter how stupid and wrong the decision was. Sportsman should respect the office of the umpire or linesman, show the appropriate decorum. These things were just a given a few generations ago.

She looks like she would be fun in bed.

Went to watch the video, but i refuse to sit through an advertisement.

Bad calls happen, but an athlete should never throw their equipment. That’s poor form no matter how much money is involved. Smashing the racquet is understandable, but not throwing it.

[quote]Phoenix44e wrote:

…Yeah I deal with that on a weekly basis.[/quote]

Well. Now you mention it…

[/quote]

No. I’d equate it more to the video of the kid who tries to stick the remote up his ass because his WOW account was deleted or something.

[quote]SexMachine wrote:

I miss the days of John McEnroe’s focused abuse but this German girl is pretty feisty. First she walks back and forth arguing, then she gets down and starts touching the line and gesticulating at it, then she prostrates herself several times with arms outstretched in submission praying, then she starts swearing…then, well I won’t spoil the ending.[/quote]

Heh, good find.

I also miss the days of McEnroe and Connors in their primes.

[quote]SexMachine wrote:
It seems to me there’s a lot of these sorts of people in professional sports and they’re clearly mentally ill. [/quote]

I don’t think you understand what ‘mentally ill’ means. Having issues with anger management does not qualify as mentally ill, for starters.

[quote]chillain wrote:

Heh, good find.

I also miss the days of McEnroe and Connors in their primes.
[/quote]

I used to love watching Bjorn Borg’s total non reaction to McEnroe’s tantrums. It was a masterful study in indifference.

[quote]Aggv wrote:
Went to watch the video, but i refuse to sit through an advertisement.
[/quote]

If you are using chrome, get adblock extension. It cut about 75% of the ads out of my online video viewing…