Andre the Giant - 2000lb Deadlift

[quote]yolo84 wrote:

[quote]Hold Up wrote:
Put all my posts together…

But…I’ve seen lesser men, much less than half his size… that were non-lifters as you might call them… “support” 1000lbs. Plenty of guys Deadlifting in the 700s, Ricky D Crain wasnt too big (170s I think). So…with proper training… I’d say it would be possible for Andre to move some massive weight.

However… he got paid to wrestle, not risk damage and injury trying to be the strongest man.

For what its worth:
Ken Patera is regarded by quite a few as the strongest presser ever from the states. He described Andre as the “naturally strongest man he ever met” who could have made longstanding world records in the squat and dl with a focused lifestyle.

[/quote]

it is overly simplistic.

diminishing returns for one.

richard hawthorne can deadlift 610 x 4 and weighs 130lbs

doesn’t that mean that someone can deadlift 1220 x 4 if they weigh 260lbs? or that brian shaw the worlds strongest man who weighs around 450lbs can deadlift 1500lbs or something?

NO.

in fact brian shaw is a good example - 6’8 450lbs full of drugs and spent his entire life weight training. hes never gonna break a squat or deadlift world record.

add in the fact there is no evidence of andre once in his entire life even performing these lifts it is a big jump to say he could likely break the world record in them.

in addition he clearly had physical problems related to his extreme size. to simply assume he would have zero mobility or joint issues attempting to do any of this is ridiculous.

i am surprised that on a site like this people cannot seem to grasp this stuff. its pretty basic. [/quote]

Dont be such a hater. No one is arguing for a linear comparison.

True, there is NO evidence for any of his strength or even potential strength other than possibly moving around small cars. But he Was a Natural 500lb guy. No mobility? Try watching some of his earlier wrestling days. Give someone like him lifting experience, friendly pharmaceuticals, and some modern lifting gear…

[quote]Hold Up wrote:

True, there is NO evidence for any of his strength or even potential strength other than possibly moving around small cars. But he Was a Natural 500lb guy. No mobility? Try watching some of his earlier wrestling days. Give someone like him lifting experience, friendly pharmaceuticals, and some modern lifting gear…[/quote]

how is it being a “hater” to use basic logic and say someone could not do something?

he was a “natural” 500lbs purely because he was grossly obese and freakishly tall.

why would his bodyweight alone be seen as some kind of accomplishment?

i didn’t say he had no mobility, i said he wouldn’t have enough to break world records in the DL or squat.

Basketball players are arguably the most mobile athletes in the world. alot of them are extremely tall. how many times do you see a huge (6’10+) basketball player squatting or DLing big weights (say 600lbs+) the answer is NEVER. why? risk of injury and lack of mobility due to extreme height.

and these are perfect physical specimens. andre had certified serious medical problems which resulted in his size and led to his early death.

lumbering around a ring for entertainment does not equate to having the athleticism to break strength world records.

i struggle to believe you yourself have any experience with squatting or deadliftimg large weights the way you look at things.

Aren’t some of the WSM athletes damn near 7 feet tall?

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
Aren’t some of the WSM athletes damn near 7 feet tall? [/quote]
Hafthor 6’9"
Shaw 6’8"

There have been taller ones in the past, but those are the tallest really successful blokes.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

not many.

brian shaw is WSM and is 6’8" 450lbs and has spent his entire life training and taking drugs and has not come close to a raw squat or DL WR.

andre was 7’4" which is ALOT taller than Shaw and had many serious medical problems and no evidence of having performed either of these exercises at any point in his life.

so to say the latter could do it when the former can’t doesn’t make much sense.

[quote]yolo84 wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

not many.

brian shaw is WSM and is 6’8" 450lbs and has spent his entire life training and taking drugs and has not come close to a raw squat or DL WR.

andre was 7’4" which is ALOT taller than Shaw and had many serious medical problems and no evidence of having performed either of these exercises at any point in his life.

so to say the latter could do it when the former can’t doesn’t make much sense. [/quote]

I’m not saying anything. I’m just looking for a point of reference is all.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]yolo84 wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

not many.

so to say the latter could do it when the former can’t doesn’t make much sense. [/quote]

I’m not saying anything. I’m just looking for a point of reference is all. [/quote]

sorry if i came off as aggressive wasn’t my intention at all. when i stated “so to say” i meant with largely with regards to the OP.

this is like that thread where someone claimed the a lot of black guys playing bball on the streets are better than michael jordan

[quote]yolo84 wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]yolo84 wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

not many.

I’m not saying anything. I’m just looking for a point of reference is all. [/quote]

sorry if i came off as aggressive wasn’t my intention at all. when i stated “so to say” i meant with largely with regards to the OP.[/quote]

Not a problem.

[quote]yolo84 wrote:

[quote]Hold Up wrote:

True, there is NO evidence for any of his strength or even potential strength other than possibly moving around small cars. But he Was a Natural 500lb guy. No mobility? Try watching some of his earlier wrestling days. Give someone like him lifting experience, friendly pharmaceuticals, and some modern lifting gear…[/quote]

how is it being a “hater” to use basic logic and say someone could not do something?

he was a “natural” 500lbs purely because he was grossly obese and freakishly tall.

i didn’t say he had no mobility, i said he wouldn’t have enough to break world records in the DL or squat.

Basketball players are arguably the most mobile athletes in the world. alot of them are extremely tall. how many times do you see a huge (6’10+) basketball player squatting or DLing big weights (say 600lbs+) the answer is NEVER. why? risk of injury and lack of mobility due to extreme height.

and these are perfect physical specimens. andre had certified serious medical problems which resulted in his size and led to his early death.

lumbering around a ring for entertainment does not equate to having the athleticism to break strength world records.

i struggle to believe you yourself have any experience with squatting or deadliftimg large weights the way you look at things.
[/quote]

Basic logic? Where?

Andre wasn’t grossly obese.

Bodyweight an accomplishment? Who said that?
Andre would be starting from a much better foundation (yes, i realize the issues with his gigantism) than someone whos a natural 200-220lb. and who goes on to squat or dl above or close to a grand.

Im not even going to consider comparing Andre to a Bsketball player. Thats ridiculous. But he was a much better athlete than you give him credit for.

And nowhere am I saying he walks off the boat and exceeds all the great lifters Michael Jordan style. Good grief.

My view of things? I am personally aware of the time, experience, and differing talent levels it takes to get to an Elite Level.

My OP was a stab at what possibly could a childhood hero of mine possibly do. Since I can find little of him doing much in the form of lifting… and from what I read he had no interest in it… well… then I’ll concede and say he was just a big softy who couldnt really lift much at all and Ken Patera was just a huge douchebag feeding the hype.

Have a nice day.

[quote]Hold Up wrote:

[quote]yolo84 wrote:

[quote]Hold Up wrote:

[/quote]

Basic logic? Where?

Andre wasn’t grossly obese.

Bodyweight an accomplishment? Who said that?
Andre would be starting from a much better foundation (yes, i realize the issues with his gigantism) than someone whos a natural 200-220lb. and who goes on to squat or dl above or close to a grand.

Im not even going to consider comparing Andre to a Bsketball player. Thats ridiculous. But he was a much better athlete than you give him credit for.

And nowhere am I saying he walks off the boat and exceeds all the great lifters Michael Jordan style. Good grief.

My view of things? I am personally aware of the time, experience, and differing talent levels it takes to get to an Elite Level.

My OP was a stab at what possibly could a childhood hero of mine possibly do. Since I can find little of him doing much in the form of lifting… and from what I read he had no interest in it… well… then I’ll concede and say he was just a big softy who couldnt really lift much at all and Ken Patera was just a huge douchebag feeding the hype.

Have a nice day.[/quote]

good post.

glad we got there in the end.

LOL.

I bet he could slam dunk a basketball though.

@csulli. No where did I say that Andre could of actually done these things. I was questioning yolo’s ‘expertise’ on this subject. (my iPad wanted to change yolo to tool lol, quite fitting). @yolo, go back and actually read my posts.

“I wrestled Andre over 600 times,” Ken Patera revealed. “He didn’t have weightlifting strength, but he didn’t have to lift weights ? just drink vodka and bottles of wine.”

[quote]SuperAlienFreak wrote:
@csulli. No where did I say that Andre could of actually done these things. I was questioning yolo’s ‘expertise’ on this subject. (my iPad wanted to change yolo to tool lol, quite fitting). @yolo, go back and actually read my posts. [/quote]

My “expertise” comes from actually lifting heavy weights and spending many years training around people who have broken various PL world records you stupid cunt.

If you had the smallest hint of a fucking clue about weight training you would too.

[quote]yolo84 wrote:

@csulli. No where did I say that Andre could of actually done these things. I was questioning yolo’s ‘expertise’ on this subject. (my iPad wanted to change yolo to tool lol, quite fitting). @yolo, go back and actually read my posts. [/quote]

My “expertise” comes from actually lifting heavy weights and spending many years training around people who have broken various PL world records you stupid cunt.

If you had the smallest hint of a fucking clue about weight training you would too.

[/quote]
Oh right yeah lol

[quote]yolo84 wrote:

[/quote]
Oh right yeah lol[/quote]

Yes that is right you prick.

[quote]challer1 wrote:
Not sure if trolling but do you really think that little bar that he supposedly broke over his back is going to support 2000 pounds w/ no bend? Or that that little link at the top of the block would hold that sort of weight? Even top quality bars give a bit when you’re benching 315… that thing doesn’t even budge with 5x that weight. It actually moves a little bit at :30 while he is “setting up” on accident - that block probably doesn’t weigh more than 50 pounds, lol.[/quote]

Hahahah was thinking the same thing about the bar.

Gigantism (or acromegaly, don’t remember which he had) doesn’t mean that strength will scale with size.

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]yolo84 wrote:

[quote]yolo84 wrote:

Lol can you tell me when you became an expert on strength training and physiological changes in people over 7 foot? twat.
[/quote]

it’s called having common sense.

thanks for the insult.
[/quote]

Shit, I didn’t realise common sense defined the physical limitations of humans.[/quote]

If you think a 7 foot 4 man has the mobility to squat and deadlift world record amounts of weight then you are an ignorant moron.[/quote]

Lol, well he had the mobility to wrestle. It’s people like you that have sat here for he past couple hundred years spouting crap that “no one is capable of” while there’s people out there breaking records. At one point people said no one could do a sub 4 minute mile, now alot of people have done it. I’m sure there’s a million other examples. But I can no longer be bothered to argue with a guy who’s username is “yolo”, really, that says it all.[/quote]
Could you be bothered to argue with me? Because he’s right. No one is going to be deadlifting 2000lbs, and no one 7’4" is going to be pulling a grand. Least of all someone like Andre who had gigantism and acromegaly. Some of the symptoms of acromegaly include muscle weakness, muscle and joint pain, and fatigue. Gigantism also produces weak and malformed bones. He was forced into early retirement from wrestling, because he was basically too weak to even lift himself into the ring.

For people who don’t have gigantism and are 7’4", all of them are fucking skinny. They would need to be literally 500lbs to have their frame filled out appropriately with muscle, and even then, the range of motion on deadlift would be insane for them.

Have you ever done a deadlift friend?[/quote]

please, one or both of you, or anybody else that cares, lay out the detailed mechanics, including joint moments and the linear tension forces the muscles would need to supply to create such moments? hell, a static shear-moment diagram at one point would do.

Then the argument can shift to how much force his muscles could actually create because his entire musculoskeletal system was bathed in insane amounts of GH, etc.

sorry, couldnt stand the yeah huh/nuh uh bs anymore.