Anderson Silva

[quote]sharkOnesie wrote:

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
You think so? I didn’t see it that way.

Wiedman took Silva down quickly into the 1st round and demonstrated that he could effectively GNP Silva there, was not going to be easily submitted and could even threaten Anderson with submissions of his own. At that point I think Silva realized that he absolutely did not want to be on the ground with Chris. So, he began goading Chris into a striking match or attempting takedowns when and where Anderson could see them coming in an attempt to demoralize and frustrate Wiedman. We’ve all seen him do this before and in every other case it has opened his opponents up to counter striking opportunities which have allowed Silva to regain control of the fight. This time though his complete disregard for Chris’s striking caught up with him (perhaps with some help from Father Time) and he wound up paying the price for his hubris.[/quote]

sorry to get off topic but I was wondering what you think about traditional martial arts re-emergence in the ufc in the last few years. especially the kicks like barboza’s on terry etim. Also what do you reckon about karate being the best base for MMA wrestling, gsp says thats why his shoot for the takedown is so good, because of his karate background.[/quote]

I think that just like in so many cases before that when someone comes along with the ability or know how to effectively utilize a skill set that people are not used to dealing with that this “new” skill set will seem like the “missing/magical” piece of the puzzle that everyone else will be forced to train in or at least train to deal with.

-It started with the Gracies highlighting that the vast majority of Martial Artists/fighters were woefully inadequate in ground fighting. As a result everyone flocked to train BJJ/GJJ thinking that it was the “ultimate system”.
-Next came the wrestlers like Mark Coleman and Mark Kerr who demonstrated the importance of wrestling and being able to not only takedown your opponent, but once you got them there you had to be able to keep them there. They also demonstrated how effective striking could be on the ground and that you in fact didn’t need the greatest submission game in the world to win on the ground. So everyone, including many BJJ/GJJ guys started training with wrestlers.
-Next came the kick boxers like Maurice Smith and CroCop who reminded everyone that while taking the fight to the ground was an effective gameplan, all MMA fights begin standing and if a good striker had enough takedown defense skills to keep the fight standing or to be able to get back to their feet effectively that they could KO a good grappler. So, everyone (including the open minded grapplers) began to really develop their striking skills (or develop them to a higher level
-Lately we’ve seen some guys starting to successfully implement some more traditional MA skill sets and/or tactics (Machida being the most note able example). So, you might see a slight upswing in terms of fighters bringing in high level TMA guys (like Kyokushin or Shotokan) to help them better understand or even implement such tactics.

In short, MMA is a constantly evolving sport, not a stagnant one. So different skill sets or “styles” may seem to dominate at one point along it’s history, but will most likely be overshadowed or even neglected at other times.

In regards to GSP’s comment… I think it’s fair to say that GSP (that includes his athletic talent, timing, work ethic, drive, determination, and intelligence), and his coaches (everyone from Jackson to the US National wrestling team) have much more to do with his wrestling proficiency than his Karate background. What Karate did probably give him though, which I think has helped him, is an appreciation for the benefits of repetition.

[quote]humble wrote:
I really think you guys are flat out gullible.
He urged Weedfighter like crazy from the start to engage. He taunted him, mocked him, disrespected him, yelled at him, motioned him non stop to engage. Then you see Weidman crawl up like a cat into a ball and retreat. Guy makes one shot and like sheep you all listen to fucktards like Goldberg and Rogan yell and scream like a miracle happened. What the fuck does he do next? Fuck all! Silva urged him non stop. Hands down, in complete range and barely moving out of punches way and the guy still has no fucking skills whatsoever to seriously land a shot.
So what does Silva do? Get’s bored and in frustration pours it on in the last moments of the first round making Weidman look like he has never fought before. Total mockery of his skills.

He grabs him, and kisses him end of first round. A show of no ill intent but serious frustration. As he is in his corner he walks out and urges him to engage, to fight, to make a show… look at Andersons face… he’s bored and doesn’t want to be there. He urges him again beginning of the second round. What’s going through Anderson’s head? Probably ‘This circus is fucking boring’. Again all through the second round, he taunts and urges him on.

Did Weidman knock him out? Perhaps yeah in the midst of the clowning around. Was it this spectacular display? Lmao fuck no. Anderson wanted out. His demeanour for the last um… i dunno 10 fights has been he is tired of the charade that is ufc. He was sparring in there. Wanted to lose but wanted to be beaten, not throw a fight. I believe somewhere along the lines it got tangled, he got tagged and fight stopped. His defeat speech tells a lot too. WTF… I have 10 more fights but I don’t want to fight for the belt. Hmmm… wtf does that mean? It’s just a money thing now and anything that comes his way goes to helping settle his family even more. I see bullshit antics with the UFC and a guy who threw a spanner into the works his own way. Tired of being yoyoed around by them, I believe he wanted to lose but the how happened to be sorta out of his hands this time.

On any given day guaranteed Silva without the clowning would waste Weidman. Isn’t it magic how all these fighters were all speaking for Weidman like he is some hidden jewel? St Pierre being on record stating Silva is the all time best pound for pound and then saying a chump from Sera’s camp … fuckers who have never amounted to anything but wiseguy like comments all of a sudden is the next best thing?
Marketing guy should be fired from the UFC.
[/quote]

I don’t necessarily disagree with anything you said in regards to Silva wanting out. We haven’t really seen a “hungry” Silva for quite some time now and judging by his post fight speech it’s pretty obvious that we never again will. I for one don’t believe that the KO wasn’t legit though, judging by the way Silva fell, his eyes rolling back in his head, how he made no attempt at all to defend against Weidman’s follow up punches, that he grabbed the ref’s leg thinking it was Weidman’s; if that was just an act then he deserves an Oscar.

[quote]Claudan wrote:
I mean, is there any doubt in anyone that Silva wins that fight, at will? He actually tried really hard to lose that fight… He was ready to hang it up, but signed a 10-fight deal for $$$ but doesn’t truly want to fight anymore.

The real question is, will they spoon the new champ or throw some legit contenders at him?[/quote]

Well first, anyone can get caught by a lucky punch and get dropped (GSP vs Serra anyone?), but I do agree that Silva was clearly not trying very hard on the feet. Whether Weidman could have beaten him legitimately, I actually think (from watching the first round) that he possibly could have beaten Silva via a decision by taking him down and holding him there with ground and pound (he let Silva up by going for the finish with that leg lock attempt).

[quote]humble wrote:
He urged Weedfighter like crazy from the start to engage. He taunted him, mocked him, disrespected him, yelled at him, motioned him non stop to engage. Then you see Weidman crawl up like a cat into a ball and retreat. Guy makes one shot and like sheep you all listen to fucktards like Goldberg and Rogan yell and scream like a miracle happened. What the fuck does he do next? Fuck all! Silva urged him non stop. Hands down, in complete range and barely moving out of punches way and the guy still has no fucking skills whatsoever to seriously land a shot.
So what does Silva do? Get’s bored and in frustration pours it on in the last moments of the first round making Weidman look like he has never fought before. Total mockery of his skills.

He grabs him, and kisses him end of first round. A show of no ill intent but serious frustration. As he is in his corner he walks out and urges him to engage, to fight, to make a show… look at Andersons face… he’s bored and doesn’t want to be there. He urges him again beginning of the second round. What’s going through Anderson’s head? Probably ‘This circus is fucking boring’. Again all through the second round, he taunts and urges him on.

Did Weidman knock him out? Perhaps yeah in the midst of the clowning around. Was it this spectacular display? Lmao fuck no. Anderson wanted out. His demeanour for the last um… i dunno 10 fights has been he is tired of the charade that is ufc. He was sparring in there. Wanted to lose but wanted to be beaten, not throw a fight. I believe somewhere along the lines it got tangled, he got tagged and fight stopped. His defeat speech tells a lot too. WTF… I have 10 more fights but I don’t want to fight for the belt. Hmmm… wtf does that mean? It’s just a money thing now and anything that comes his way goes to helping settle his family even more. I see bullshit antics with the UFC and a guy who threw a spanner into the works his own way. Tired of being yoyoed around by them, I believe he wanted to lose but the how happened to be sorta out of his hands this time.

On any given day guaranteed Silva without the clowning would waste Weidman. Isn’t it magic how all these fighters were all speaking for Weidman like he is some hidden jewel? St Pierre being on record stating Silva is the all time best pound for pound and then saying a chump from Sera’s camp … fuckers who have never amounted to anything but wiseguy like comments all of a sudden is the next best thing?
[/quote]

nah i don’t think it was any of this

YOu may want to take back what you said.

Eerie?

Watch the last 60 seconds of this if you can’t be stuffed watching all of it.

Don’t be fooled. He wanted out. 100%

[quote]humble wrote:
YOu may want to take back what you said.

Eerie?

Watch the last 60 seconds of this if you can’t be stuffed watching all of it.

Don’t be fooled. He wanted out. 100%[/quote]

when did alex jones and david ike start an MMA podcast?

[quote]humble wrote:

[/quote]

Spot on.

Silva clearly wanted out of being champ, and his post-fight speech confirms it. He wants out of the stress, the pressure, the brutal training required to face hungry contender after contender.

As he said, he’s provided for his family, moved them to the US, done everything he wanted to do. He’s tired. He’ll honour his 10 fight contract, but that’s it. He’s not interested in being champ again - hence a very clear ‘no’ to the rematch. (Dana White of course might have other ideas.)

The knock out was legit I think. Not a big deal to a guy who’s barely been touched in the ring the past 5 years.

But he pretty much handed Weidman the fight, whilst not technically throwing it. He said ‘Chris is the champion now’ about 5 times afterwards - he’s happy to let go of the belt.

Is anyone seriously of the belief that Silva could not have absolutely destroyed Weidman if he really wanted to?

justrob wrote:

Is anyone seriously of the belief that Silva could not have absolutely destroyed Weidman if he really wanted to?

That’s exactly his problem: “if he really wanted to”. He doesn’t “really want to”, and he CAN’T “really want to”. He has lost his hunger, he is set financially and doesn’t need or enjoy fighting anymore. He doesn’t have a reason to fight anymore. What does he have left to prove?

He very likely would have beaten Weidman back when he was hungry (but Weidman could have gotten lucky even then). In fighting sports more than most, the hunger is essential to winning. Hunger is necessary to train and to fight at the top of your game. He’s not the fighter he was a couple of years ago, because he’s not hungry. He’s still got crazy good timing and skills, but without the hunger, his ability to win is that of a contender, not a champion.

How long before chael sonnen shit talks his way into another shot st a title?

Sonnen tries to fight again, he will look like Brock did coming back. Like what Mir looks like his last 3 fights… that look man, it scares me. It’s like, it’s that same person, but now he has panic in his eyes, or fear. it’s weird.

Let’s see him if can go past Shogun first.

Anderson coulda won. Carwin woulda won. [Insert anyone from Fedor to Tank Abbott] shoulda won …

Except they didn’t.
When Fedor lost, it came as no surprise, and I’m a genuine Fedor nuthugger.
Just like with Fedor post ~2008, Anderson is past his prime.

That does not mean they wouldn’t beat 99% of all opponents.
For various reasons, they just can’t hang with the top5 like they used to.

Also: Just because champs past their primes can still demolish someone spectacularly doesn’t mean they can always pull these moves off.
“Matrix”, “disrespectful behaviour” and all this is missing the mark.
Anderson couldn’t find the groove anymore without entangling the opponent emotionally.
In a lot of ways, he’s similar to Naseem Hamed or some crazy complicated, jumping high kick:
If it works, it looks, phenomenal. But it doesn’t always work.

And like with Fedor, the Spider, too, seems elated to have finally lost.