Anderson Silva -vs- Whoever

Well, with the outcome of Franklin -vs- A. Silva i’d say the fate of the TUF 4 Middleweight winner is effectively sealed. I don’t see any of the current TUF4 contestants competing.

La’
Redsol1

Is anyone even still watching TUF 4? I haven’t seen anything past the first episode or two.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
Is anyone even still watching TUF 4? I haven’t seen anything past the first episode or two.[/quote]

LOL.

Yes in terms of middleweights I haven’t seen any with the talent of Silva, but worse yet I haven’t seen any with enough heart.

Rumor is they are trying to bring back Matt Linland for a title fight… Dana white already publicly promised him a shot on two occasions. I think they will have to bring somebody in i only see a handfull of fighters who can beat him… Dan Henderson and Matt Linland would be the best bet

Anyone have a link to that video? Youtube says all of them were removed for copyright infringement…

check google video for it.

[quote]BSims wrote:
check google video for it.[/quote]

Or just check this thread:
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1298045

There’s 2 videos there. :slight_smile:

[quote]aburke22 wrote:
Anyone have a link to that video? Youtube says all of them were removed for copyright infringement… [/quote]

And here is the downfall of YouTube. I wonder if people realize that media trading empires can only last for about 8-12 months before they are ruined, lol.

The video is also available on Bittorrent. Very good quality.

Anderson Silva has beautifully disarmed his competition so far, and yeah I have been hearing talk about Lindland. But the fact remains anyone going against Silva even those who can beat him will have a tough time.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see the UFC put the MW winner of TUF 4 up against Frnaklin in a No. 1 contender’s match after the show is over. Since they were going through the show under the premise of Franklin being the champ and then having him show up and “train” the guys for a week and the TUF guys all saying how Rich was a jerk, that’s a good build for a future fight.

I just hope Mike Swick isn’t the first guy fed to Anderson Silva…I like Swick but I don’t think he’s ready for a guy like Silva yet.

I don’t see that happening. The contract is for a title shot…not a #1 contender shot. The TUF4 fighters wouldn’t agree to the latter simply because the money isn’t there and it’s not what they came on the show for.

[quote]j281 wrote:
I don’t see that happening. The contract is for a title shot…not a #1 contender shot. The TUF4 fighters wouldn’t agree to the latter simply because the money isn’t there and it’s not what they came on the show for. [/quote]

Dana has actualy started saying in the TUF4 shows “Matt Hughes if he’s still champion”. Kinda funny. it sorta makes it seem like he figured “Ace” would blow thru Silva but he thinks GSP has a shot against Hughes. Not that he doesn’t, I just find the bias kinda funny.

Lindland was on Beatdown the othernight talking about how much he hates the UFC and Dana so I wouldn’t count on him comming out of the WFA or IFL.

La’
Redsol1

There are guys they could try to get, But all are not American, and that seems to matter. Manhoef just lost the Hero’s 85kg tournament but has great stand-up, very explosive and very physical. His stand-up is better than anybody the UFC has in that division(even Silva’s).
Chonan beat Silva convincingly. Chonan is a mid-level fighter and has lost in the Pride 83kg GP two years in a row.

Bustamante was champ in the UFC, has beaten Lindland, gave Liddell hell. Bustamante has lost his last two fights and is old, but more skilled than anybody the UFC can throw at Silva.
Though if they did bring any one of these guys the UFC still would have a champ who does not speak english(well), and maybe would be hard to market.

[quote]otoko wrote:
There are guys they could try to get, But all are not American, and that seems to matter. Manhoef just lost the Hero’s 85kg tournament but has great stand-up, very explosive and very physical. His stand-up is better than anybody the UFC has in that division(even Silva’s).
Chonan beat Silva convincingly. Chonan is a mid-level fighter and has lost in the Pride 83kg GP two years in a row.

Bustamante was champ in the UFC, has beaten Lindland, gave Liddell hell. Bustamante has lost his last two fights and is old, but more skilled than anybody the UFC can throw at Silva.
Though if they did bring any one of these guys the UFC still would have a champ who does not speak english(well), and maybe would be hard to market.[/quote]

I would hardly say that Chonan’s victory was “Convincing”. The flying-corkscrew-inverted-kneebar was certainly entertaining but I had it 50/50 up to that point. Chonan has the ability to be an A class fighter but he starts too slow and takes too long to get in his rythem.

as far as there being other competitors that could beat A. Silvia that’s true, but I was origionly talking about the TUF4 competetors who are promised a title shot if they win the show.

La’
Redsol1

[quote]redsol1 wrote:
otoko wrote:

Though if they did bring any one of these guys the UFC still would have a champ who does not speak english(well), and maybe would be hard to market.

I would hardly say that Chonan’s victory was “Convincing”. The flying-corkscrew-inverted-kneebar was certainly entertaining but I had it 50/50 up to that point. Chonan has the ability to be an A class fighter but he starts too slow and takes too long to get in his rythem.

as far as there being other competitors that could beat A. Silvia that’s true, but I was origionly talking about the TUF4 competetors who are promised a title shot if they win the show.

La’
Redsol1

[/quote]

Well Chonan most likely would have gotten the decision. He stood with Silva and exchanged well, he didn’t shut Silva down of course. It wasn’t a spectacular performance, it was solid work. He wore Silva down with low kicks. He didn’t need the submission, but that’s what people remember. For some reason people think Chonan needed that submission. It was Silva who needed to close out that fight if he wanted any chance of winning.
Ahh TUF guys, sorry. Umm nobody there can beat SIlva. Swick has poor striking. Somebody has to “Arona” Silva, just forget standing up and go for the takedown everytime.

[quote]otoko wrote:
Ahh TUF guys, sorry. Umm nobody there can beat SIlva. Swick has poor striking. Somebody has to “Arona” Silva, just forget standing up and go for the takedown everytime.
[/quote]

I’m thinking Henderson probably has the best shot at A. Silva. WHile Silva’s BJJ is excelent Henderson’s Greco is superb and Hendo can deal serious damage from the ground. That, with the fact the cage is favoriable to a wrestler makes Hendo my #1 to take A. Silva. Hendo could be the first Pride/UFC joint campion.

La’
Redsol1

[quote]redsol1 wrote:
otoko wrote:

I’m thinking Henderson probably has the best shot at A. Silva. WHile Silva’s BJJ is excelent Henderson’s Greco is superb and Hendo can deal serious damage from the ground. That, with the fact the cage is favoriable to a wrestler makes Hendo my #1 to take A. Silva. Hendo could be the first Pride/UFC joint campion.

La’
Redsol1

[/quote]

Hendo would definetly have Silva on the ground. He would just have to survive the stand up.

Just out of curiousity, what fights/info lead you to think Silva has excellent BJJ? I recall Newton dominating him on the ground to the point where Silva had to simply stall in order to get stood back up. Plus, his most troublesome loss to a sub .500 Daiju Takase came via a triangle choke.

[quote]Djwlfpack wrote:
I just hope Mike Swick isn’t the first guy fed to Anderson Silva…I like Swick but I don’t think he’s ready for a guy like Silva yet.[/quote]

I’m a Swick fan and I’m not counting him out. I think if he gets the shot he’ll take Silva to the ground and quite possibly beat him, quick like.

Maybe I’m just a fan.