T Nation

Anderson Silva vs. Thales Leites

I feel bad for Anderson Silva, Leites just did not want to engage with him! He must of fell to the mat 10 times per round trying to bait Silva in. I really don’t think anyone can compete with Silva, maybe GSP, but I doubt he could last long. Anyone see this fight? I mean Silva was pretty tactical. I just don’t get how people can complain about him, while Leites kept falling to the mat! Silva played this match smart, and did not even get hurt, hell i don’t think he even took one hit!

Yeah, I don’t understand how fans can see that fight and talk about how “oh, Silva put on yet another shit performance.”

I think people expect to see a knockout or TKO when anderson gets in the cage. Not only that but they expect to see it within two rounds and in a devastating fashion. If you watch the fight anderson completely decimated leites, just less physically and more technically. While I have to admit I miss the old days of anderson sivla knocking people out and putting together fluid combo after fluid combo, you can’t make the other guy stand and trade with him.

It’s cause they are Canadian, j/k. I agree that I almost pitied one of the best fighters on the planet because of an intimidated opponent. As far as GSP goes, I don’t think all the grease in the world would spare him from going out like Franklin :wink:

This is pretty good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__qFgv8zSNU

[quote]drewh wrote:
This is pretty good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__qFgv8zSNU[/quote]

LOL. I f-ing love sports writers, most of have never participated in the sport, but they get paid for their “opinions”. Do they really think Silva wanted to go thru that for 25minutes? There is only so much you can really do. Oh, wait, you can be like Chuck and ktfo, or like Wandi, or like hundreds of other big-named fighters that got caught.

I didn’t think it was a great fight, but Silva should NEVER do something stupid just for the fans.

As far as Dana goes, he needs to go sit on a sybian and relax, friggin tool-bag.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=ki-silva041909&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

The fact is Silva did not put on a good show. You might see as many strikes in two round as silva landed in 5. Regardless of what Leites was doing, Silva was not pushing the fight and didn’t attempt to finish the fight.

A win is a win but some people are also looking for an entertaining fight, not for a half speed sparring session.

Honestly, that was possibly the most boring fight I have ever seen.

I just feel like that Silva was capable of getting in a few combos instead of just one before Thales fell, but he was too worried about getting caught.

I have all the respect in the world for Silva, but all in all, it was super boring fight… people were leaving half way through the main event. Unfortunate.

[quote]undesired08 wrote:
drewh wrote:
This is pretty good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__qFgv8zSNU

LOL. I f-ing love sports writers, most of have never participated in the sport, but they get paid for their “opinions”. Do they really think Silva wanted to go thru that for 25minutes? There is only so much you can really do. Oh, wait, you can be like Chuck and ktfo, or like Wandi, or like hundreds of other big-named fighters that got caught.

I didn’t think it was a great fight, but Silva should NEVER do something stupid just for the fans.

As far as Dana goes, he needs to go sit on a sybian and relax, friggin tool-bag.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=ki-silva041909&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

[/quote]

That made me laugh. Dana White is such a blood sucker. Silva is the man.

You know, I’ve really grown to dislike Dana White. Not for his rudeness, his crass self promotion or his shitty profiteering. Promoters are supposed to be like that.

The reason is him being disrespectful to greats of the sport, like Silva, Fedor and many others. However, it definitely seems like the Fertitas have realised this and are cutting down Dana’s TV time.

i don’t think GSP would be a good match for Silva. he’s just not big enough, naturally…

Brandon Vera, though, i think would be an awesome fight, and really bring out the best in both of them.

Do those of you who’ve posted “boring fight” comments realize this was a title fight? Do you REALIZE this was the fight to put Silva in the history books? Do you FUCKING REALIZE how much this fight meant? Or are you just a bunch of half drunk diddy dazers who turn on fights so you can ‘look tuf’ in your affliction shirts.

Silva did everything right. He faught smart. Strikes were dead on. Leites was the pussy in this fight. Dana white shouldve never opened his mouth about this fight in post conferance, apologizing for Silvas actions in the ring. Dana said many yrs ago he respects the sport and isn’t trying to turn it into a no holds grudge bar fight. But that’s exactly what the fans wanted to Dana went back on his words and just wants to please the crown with blood and guts. Silva is the best IMO next to fedor and GSP. Dana shouldve backed up his champion and went off on the crowd. But he would rather make friends who will spend $ on his Company then stand behind and stand up for his fighters. Screw you Dana.

If anything Dana shouldve apologized for Leites as the main card. He didn’t even figt like he wanted it. Blame White & Jole Silva for this card. Not the spider. Watching Anderson attack with his head leaning out and hands down below his waist and still defend and strike. WOW!!! The best 2 strike were when Leites was on his back and Silva tried to do a standing spinning elbow strike to Leites on the ground. And when they were standing and Silva did a sweeping kick with his back leg. OMG
I don’t know where this guys gets his moves. But damn!!!

[quote]dhickey wrote:
The fact is Silva did not put on a good show. You might see as many strikes in two round as silva landed in 5. Regardless of what Leites was doing, Silva was not pushing the fight and didn’t attempt to finish the fight. [/quote]

You don’t know what you are talking about. Silva did a good job. Leites is the one who didn’t put on a show.

The fact is Silva is the Champion. Leites was the challenger. When you are the challenger and you are challenging the Champion for his belt, it is your job to take the fight to the Champion like a man and prove you are worthy to take from him what is his. Leites feinting on to his back, with his legs spread waiting for Silva to mount him isn’t taking the fight to Silva like a man.

The Champion does not have to prove he is better than everyone else because he has already done that. The challenger is the one who has to prove he is better.

[quote]
A win is a win but some people are also looking for an entertaining fight, not for a half speed sparring session. [/quote]

I think those people were the ones who don’t understand what they are looking at and just want to see a brawl.

Silva fought an intelligent fight where he was careful not to get tied up by the Jiu Jitsu whizz kid and get his arm broken. Silva completely shut down Leites’ Jiu Jitsu. Silva also bloodied Leites with some ground and pound.

Leites was smart not to stay on his feet trading blows because Silva would have knocked him out. He did good to go the distance.

They both more or less frustrated each others strengths. which may not provide as much exciting action to watch but it is interesting to see how they try and overcome it.

Silva grabbing Leites feet and hammer fisting his toes was good and Silva was quite accurate with those side kicks just above Leites knee which kept him out of range.

Leites on the other hand didn’t come up with anything other than flopping on his back to avoid a beating.

It just wasn’t two guys going toe to toe and both getting tore up like a lot of other fighters would do.

[quote]MNguns wrote:
Silva did everything right. He faught smart. Strikes were dead on. Leites was the pussy in this fight. Dana white shouldve never opened his mouth about this fight in post conferance, apologizing for Silvas actions in the ring. Dana said many yrs ago he respects the sport and isn’t trying to turn it into a no holds grudge bar fight. But that’s exactly what the fans wanted to Dana went back on his words and just wants to please the crown with blood and guts. Silva is the best IMO next to fedor and GSP. Dana shouldve backed up his champion and went off on the crowd. But he would rather make friends who will spend $ on his Company then stand behind and stand up for his fighters. Screw you Dana.

If anything Dana shouldve apologized for Leites as the main card. He didn’t even figt like he wanted it. Blame White & Jole Silva for this card. Not the spider. Watching Anderson attack with his head leaning out and hands down below his waist and still defend and strike. WOW!!! The best 2 strike were when Leites was on his back and Silva tried to do a standing spinning elbow strike to Leites on the ground. And when they were standing and Silva did a sweeping kick with his back leg. OMG
I don’t know where this guys gets his moves. But damn!!![/quote]

That back foot sweep was nice to see. In Karate we call that kind of move a pivot. Pivots are an advanced technique and there are a lot of different ways you can use them.

Contrary to the fans in attendance (and the Buffalo Wild Wings where I watched the fight), Silva put on a good fight. Leites kept trying to bait him by going to the ground and hoping Anderson would roll with him, but Anderson knew better, and respected Leites’ BJJ. I think Leites was thinking if Anderson just ended up getting mad and decided to pounce on him, Leites would use his BJJ to his advantage, but Anderson is too intelligent for that.

Anderson fought a smart fight, and that is why he is still the champ, and probably will be until he decides to hang it up.

I dont blame thatles for what he did. I dont think he expected to be outclassed like he was and his only hope was to fall to the ground and hope anderson followed him. Silvas biggest problem is the talent gap between him and the rest of the division and i think thats starting to affect his demeanor in the ring.

I also think dana and joe silva have to take some responsibility for putting silva in there with a young fighter who obviously wasnt ready for a fight like this.

I’ve already forgotten about this fight…I have Silva vs. Maia on the brain now.

But Maia is another BJJ guy that potential create another snore fest…although he is not Leites.

The fact that Silva weighed in at 182 is interesting.

I hope this was the closest Thales Leites will ever get to a title shot.

His prefight talk about Silva having to kill him if he wants to keep the title, what a crock of shit.

Silva was pretty entertaining to watch, I think he did exactly what was right for him. It was Leites’s job to go after him and contest for the title, instead he chose to lie on his back time after time, even when it was obvious Silva wouldn’t follow there.

I understand that as a fan, when you pay a lot of money to see a fight you’re gonna want to be entertained… I’d like to see something such as the Pride yellow card system put to use in the UFC, it would need some modifying, but it’d be a start.