T Nation

Anderson Silva Talking Retirement Next Year

Found this and was curious if anyone else has heard more of the interview on it?

I don’t see anything necessarily wrong with it from his perspective. His body is in great shape, no major injuries, he’s on top, already proved himself and is king of the middleweights, BUT it sure does suck for us fight fans doesn’t it?!! It would be great to see him clean house in light heavy, or stay in the game at middleweight, but with what he’s said according to this report, about the only thing I can think of that might change his mind would be a bigger check with more zero’s in it, lol. Even that might not sway the guy though as he’s more than comfortable already.

Anyway didn’t see anything here on this and thought it would make for some good conversation.

"UFC middleweight champion, Anderson Silva was recently interviewed by Brazilian cable channel Sensei. The TV show, featuring Spider, will air on September 27, but the editors released a shocking exert from the interview with Silva, when the champion spoke on his retirement from MMA:

Quote:
“I’ll retire next year, I already gave my all. I don’t need to prove anything for anyone and within one year I’ll put my gloves aside.”

Ana Hissa, the editor who contacted us with this breaking news, was emphatic, saying that Silva mentioned retirement several times. This was unimaginable for them because Silva is in the best stage of his career and is the king pin of UFC’s 185 pound division.

We where unable to reach the fighter to add more on this bombastic interview or to know if he’ll leave MMA and move to Pro Boxing."

Wonder what Dana White’s going to have to say about it eh guys?!

ToneBone

Dana and Joe are going to have to work overtime to find someone at 185 that can beat him. It would suck if he retired while still having the belt. No matter who had the belt after him, we would never know how they would have faired against Silva.

I just don’t think that he is as unbeatable as most beleive. I think both Marquart and Henderson have a shot at beating him, and it would suck not to find out if they can do it. If he beats those guys a second time there probably would be little doubt that he was the p4p best.

The 185 division is a lot less interesting without Silva. If he is serious, Dana nad Joe better make sure we get to see a couple of really good match-ups before it happens.

[quote]dhickey wrote:

The 185 division is a lot less interesting without Silva. [/quote]

Silva is about the only thing interesting at 185. You can only beat up Rich Franklin so many times.

I don’t think Hendo has a better chance than anyone else at beating Silva. Each time I watch their fight the less I think Hendo was accomplishing much in the first round.

I think there is competition for Silva at 205 should he choose to fight there again. But if he wants to hang it up, that’s his choice and I don’t think it in anyway tarnishes what he has done during his MMA career.

Lyoto looks small at 205 to me and I have a feeling he could go down to 185 currently. Call it a dream fight, but I’d love to see Lyoto and The Spider go at it. I think Lyoto could win.

Just a thought I was enjoying entertaining.

edited to say- I know they are friends and the fight wouldn’t happen, but it is a good one to think about.

I was shocked to read about this as he is one of the best fighters in the world. But in the MW division he really doesn’t have any competition…

Who knows, he may be serious, but after watching the fight game as long as I have, this could be nothing more than a negotiation tactic by Silva and his people to get him more money - which he definitely deserves.

[quote]JohnnyNinja wrote:
Lyoto looks small at 205 to me and I have a feeling he could go down to 185 currently. Call it a dream fight, but I’d love to see Lyoto and The Spider go at it. I think Lyoto could win.

Just a thought I was enjoying entertaining.

edited to say- I know they are friends and the fight wouldn’t happen, but it is a good one to think about.[/quote]

Yeah this would certainly be an interesting fight.

I say there’s no way he’s retiring next year. Most of these fighters spend money like drunken sailors and HAVE to fight. I doubt Anderson’s any different.

Surprising news but, retiring is one thing, staying retired is another.

Personally, I hope he stays fighting and kicking ass for many years to come.

Read today his manager says it isn’t true.

how about gsp move up to mw? would that be a good fight?

[quote]bartonmlee wrote:
how about gsp move up to mw? would that be a good fight?[/quote]

that’s what i was thinking :wink:

[quote]cycobushmaster wrote:
bartonmlee wrote:
how about gsp move up to mw? would that be a good fight?

that’s what i was thinking ;)[/quote]

GSP has to get by BJ first.

From the horse’s mouth:

Anderson has always come off as a very humble and honorable guy. MMA needs more guys like him.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
From the horse’s mouth:

Anderson has always come off as a very humble and honorable guy. MMA needs more guys like him. [/quote]

x2