Anderson/GSP Superfight Now on the Cards?

http://www.bjpenn.com/mmanews/2012/07/27/andersons-management-states-the-only-bout-that-makes-sense-for-silva-is-at-a-catch-weight-against-gsp-ufc-news-32878.html

This would be awesome, might be controversial but I think GSP could take him down and put out a pretty convincing win over five rounds.

I think Silva would not be able to stuff the takedowns and his best bet would be elbows in guard.

If your coming here to say that GSP is borning you need a check up from the neck up.

I think GSP would be an idiot to take that fight, unless he intends for it to be the last of his career.

GSP has been off for a very long time recovering from injury, and we don’t know if he’s back 100% or if he will every be the same. Let’s see him get past Condit before throwing around moving up to a catch weight fight against a guy that’s bigger, taller, and has been fighting the entire time GSP has been off.

Agree with Jim. And I honestly don’t know how well GSP would do in that match-up even at 100%. If he has shown that he has any weakness it’s his chin, and if there is anyone who could hit him there it’s Anderson. I know GSP is a great MMA wrestler, but much of his success is due to his setting up his takedowns with striking (which is helped greatly by his reach), and impeccable timing. I honestly don’t think he would be able to do that against Silva and I think Silva is too big and has worked on his TD defense too much for GSP to just dive in with a shot and take him down without setting it up first.

When was the last time gsp finished a fight. I would love to see this fight but gsp is gonna get his bell rung one of these days and be finished

Dominating someone so beautifully like he did to hardy is just as pleasing as an anderson KO, people who crave knockouts as being the exciting thing should watch K1, if you can make your opponent helpless and dominate him without risking defeat, that is the most impressive thing, if fighters don’t like wrestlers dominating them, learn how to wrestle, don’t moan at wrestling, it is like when strikers would call BJJ boring, no, it is god damn effective.

You make a good point I would have to go back and watch some of his last fights since its been so long. In sayin that Anderson silva can dominate a fight and finish quickly even if the fight went the distance I believe silva would destroy gsp

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
Agree with Jim. And I honestly don’t know how well GSP would do in that match-up even at 100%. If he has shown that he has any weakness it’s his chin, and if there is anyone who could hit him there it’s Anderson. I know GSP is a great MMA wrestler, but much of his success is due to his setting up his takedowns with striking (which is helped greatly by his reach), and impeccable timing. I honestly don’t think he would be able to do that against Silva and I think Silva is too big and has worked on his TD defense too much for GSP to just dive in with a shot and take him down without setting it up first.[/quote]

Here is some information that might make you think a little bit about it, Georges’ reach is 76, and Silva is just under 78. (which is not as big of a difference as one might think). He is not just a great MMA wrestler, he is arguably the best. Chael Sonnen took Silva down at will and Chael has admitted to Georges’ being one of the best MMA wrestlers.

[quote]Achilles3 wrote:
Here is some information that might make you think a little bit about it, Georges’ reach is 76, and Silva is just under 78. (which is not as big of a difference as one might think). He is not just a great MMA wrestler, he is arguably the best. Chael Sonnen took Silva down at will and Chael has admitted to Georges’ being one of the best MMA wrestlers. [/quote]

Yeah, but in all his fights at least since winning the title he’s had between 2 and 8 inches of reach advantage. Here he’s fighting as the shorter, (naturally) lighter man, a position he’s not used to being in. It’s not just that he gives up 2 in of reach, it’s that he’s used to being the guy with the reach advantage, which is part of what makes him dangerous at Welterweight.

[quote]Achilles3 wrote:

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
Agree with Jim. And I honestly don’t know how well GSP would do in that match-up even at 100%. If he has shown that he has any weakness it’s his chin, and if there is anyone who could hit him there it’s Anderson. I know GSP is a great MMA wrestler, but much of his success is due to his setting up his takedowns with striking (which is helped greatly by his reach), and impeccable timing. I honestly don’t think he would be able to do that against Silva and I think Silva is too big and has worked on his TD defense too much for GSP to just dive in with a shot and take him down without setting it up first.[/quote]

Here is some information that might make you think a little bit about it, Georges’ reach is 76, and Silva is just under 78. (which is not as big of a difference as one might think). He is not just a great MMA wrestler, he is arguably the best. Chael Sonnen took Silva down at will and Chael has admitted to Georges’ being one of the best MMA wrestlers. [/quote]

Georges and Chael don’t fight the same dude.

Chael is a southpaw and comes in with a bag of striking setups to setup the double leg on other southpaws.

Georges fights orthodox, and hasn’t had to contend with a long southpaw fighter with good single-leg defense, like Anderson. That said, there are kinks in Silva’s armor, and I’m sure most would agree that Georges is a superior game-planner. He’ll be looking to take this fight down, and just needs a setup for the single… easier said than done.