And You Thought Gas Was Expensive

today’s gas price in Montreal
1.36 / Litre

that’s

5.23 / Gal

plz stop conplaining.

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
Good to know. I’ll keep it in mind next time I fill up my tank with Scope.[/quote]

Priceless.

[quote]jaybvee wrote:
(cough, cough… public transit, anyone?) I know that with the infrastructure and literal road network architecture of the North American landscape that it lends itself and virtually prides itself on the need and necessity of owning a vehicle.

Who didn’t think it would come to this ? Come on man… OPEC and friends have us by the balls and the weather recently didn’t help…

We’re just gonna have to adjust while the oil industry twists the old choadsack for a while longer. My only concern is that if we continue to pay and thus support this pricing people will (gulp) eventually accept (?!) these prices as “normal”…

btw $1.20 is per litre as I’m a Canadian from Toronto… what’s a gallon ? roughly 3 litres ? We’re still screwed, buddy. :frowning: [/quote]

If this continues, the car manufacturing companies will push for government subsidies to speed the production of its hydrogen and fuel/cell vehicles. Then the car companies will charge more for them because we’ll have no choice but to either pay more for gas or pay more for a more economical vehicle. Then we’ll have lobbyists from the oil companies battling against lobbyists for the car manufacturing companies because one industry will lose money in this deal. Endless, vicious, useless cycle of lobbying wasting taxpayer money.

[quote]nephorm wrote:
Paulos wrote:
How many miles to the gallon do you get from an F150?

Absolutely zero, because I don’t drive one. And haughty ribbing of Americans aside, this has absolutely nothing to do with the American predilection for larger vehicles. Rather, it has to do with artificial increases in price.
[/quote]

I think you missed the point I was trying make. You would not cry about fuel prices so much if you got better mileage in your vehicles. The reason I mention an F150? Because it the biggest selling motor-vehicle in the world. Which nation do you suppose buys 99.9% of said trucks? You still have cheaper fuel than the whole of Europe. I pay 94 pence per litre. That is about $6.30 per US gallon. As for the public transport infrastructure in the UK, yeah, our trains and buses are just great. It costs twice as much for and takes twice as long for me to get the train to work (35 miles) as it does for me to drive.
It is also worth realising that because you typically pay so little tax on your fuel the price is much more sensitive to large fluctuations.
It just seems like you have had it too good for too long.