Anatomy and Physiology Study Tips

i dont know why i keep forgetting to do that!

learn what the latin or greek muscle names mean, then remember, muscles are named for
direction their fibers run
their size
where they are found in the body
what bones they attach to
what the muscle looks like
where it is in relation to certain bones
and their function within the body.
Combinations of these too.
Levator scapulae. lifts scapula
flexor digiti minimi. flexes the little finger
latissimus dorsi. large muscle of the back (dorsum)
trapezius. shaped like a trapezoid, named after a table
Biceps brachii. bi two, ceps head, brachii upper arm
gee, how many ceps (heads) on a triceps?
serratus anterior. serrat a saw anterior, thats a tough one, eh?
semitendinosus. semi half tendin, tendon
sartorius, tailor. to cross one leg like a tailor, you use this muscle

learn that kinda stuff and it isn’t hard at all.
gues what and where levator labii superioris alaeque nasi is and does?
Sphincter ani? (ring, you know it is a muscle…)

I found for me that learning the muscles and the bones 100% then you can figure out the O&I with little studying. My final on O&I was multiple choice so I just needed to know the muscles really well and was able to figure out the O&I, pulled a 96%. Your test may not be multiple guess but if so this may work for you.

I wish multiple chocie! we have cadaver bodies , on half the test every friday, and then we have to know 15 questions at random of insertion and origin. Its weird I guess I know the bones well, but sometimes I have a hard time picturing the insertions and origins! i will re study the bones though!

[quote]jp_dubya wrote:
learn what the latin or greek muscle names mean, then remember, muscles are named for
their size

[/quote]

Exactly!
This makes anatomy very easy to study.

Keep your books and flash cards in the bathroom. I do my best reading and studying in there.

For anatomy, I find a knowledge of embryology and development to be of great help when trying to remember details such as lymphatic, blood and nerve supply. Also as others have mentioned, repetition and consistent study efforts are essential to doing well in anatomy. A good atlas and flash cards are a great idea, as is buying a whiteboard and drawing structures and relations over and over.

Physiology is much easier to remember IMO, as it is based more firmly on concepts and requires less rote learning. Again, as previously mentioned integrating the physiology with the anatomy will hopefully make both much easier to learn and to retain the information. Structure and function are not discrete - find a way to link everything together.

Finally, try and find something that piques your interests and add it to your studies. I enjoy pathology and clinical implications and try to find examples within my normal systems learning. I’m still finding it a right bastard studying for exams right now though…

Hope some of this helps!

[quote]MISCONCEPTION wrote:
I wish multiple chocie! we have cadaver bodies , on half the test every friday, and then we have to know 15 questions at random of insertion and origin. Its weird I guess I know the bones well, but sometimes I have a hard time picturing the insertions and origins! i will re study the bones though![/quote]

Yea that would be considerably harder. One thing that helped me remember origin v. insertion is that the origin is stationary where as the insertion does, I’m sure you already know that. Its still hard on some muscles ie sternocledomastiod. Good luck.

[quote]Erasmus wrote:
jp_dubya wrote:
their size

Exactly!
This makes anatomy very easy to study.
[/quote]

ok how about sternocleidomastoid? flex and rotates? how do you see that from the name?
spinalis capitis?
flexor hallucis longus, how do I see the insertion and origin from the names of that?

[quote]dday wrote:
MISCONCEPTION wrote:
I wish multiple chocie! we have cadaver bodies , on half the test every friday, and then we have to know 15 questions at random of insertion and origin. Its weird I guess I know the bones well, but sometimes I have a hard time picturing the insertions and origins! i will re study the bones though!

Yea that would be considerably harder. One thing that helped me remember origin v. insertion is that the origin is stationary where as the insertion does, I’m sure you already know that. Its still hard on some muscles ie sternocledomastiod. Good luck.[/quote]

To tell you the truth I still dont understand the difference in REAL terms of insertion and Origin , ? where it starts vs where it ends?
did you men origin is stationary and insertion moves?

Look at where it originates and inserts and its function is easy to determine! The name gives you the insertions and origin. The contraction of the SCM brings the origin and insertion closer together i.e. mastoid process towards the maneubrium = rotate and flex.

It is located on the posterior leg, which is developmentally ventral = flexor. Hallicus = great toe and longus (=long) because there are two flexors and the longus is longer than the brevis, which is an intrinsic foot muscle.

Also, don’t think of muscles being fixed at the origin and moving the insertion. Muscles shorten with contraction and hence put tension on both origin and insertion(s). A great example are the muscles of the leg that contract when standing in order to make postural adjustments. The foot is fixed, therefore the entire body moves.

Apply this to muscles such as the SCM and it will (hopefully!) become clear why the one muscle can assist in both movement of the head AND movement of the sternum as an accessory muscle of respiration.

[quote]drenelin wrote:
ok how about sternocleidomastoid? flex and rotates? how do you see that from the name?

Look at where it originates and inserts and its function is easy to determine! The name gives you the insertions and origin. The contraction of the SCM brings the origin and insertion closer together i.e. mastoid process towards the maneubrium = rotate and flex.

flexor hallucis longus, how do I see the insertion and origin from the names of that?

It is located on the posterior leg, which is developmentally ventral = flexor. Hallicus = great toe and longus (=long) because there are two flexors and the longus is longer than the brevis, which is an intrinsic foot muscle.

Also, don’t think of muscles being fixed at the origin and moving the insertion. Muscles shorten with contraction and hence put tension on both origin and insertion(s). A great example are the muscles of the leg that contract when standing in order to make postural adjustments. The foot is fixed, therefore the entire body moves.

Apply this to muscles such as the SCM and it will (hopefully!) become clear why the one muscle can assist in both movement of the head AND movement of the sternum as an accessory muscle of respiration.[/quote]

I wish my lab would have go over that!@$@!~ very nice explanation

To tell you the truth I still dont understand the difference in REAL terms of insertion and Origin , ? where it starts vs where it ends?
did you men origin is stationary and insertion moves? [/quote]

Yep, where the muscle originates is fixed or the base of the muscle where as the insertion is where the action takes place. IE the pectorals major originates on the sternum and clavicle (these are stationary positions) it inserts on the humerus (the humerus moves).

You can think of it like this, there is a truck off the road down in a ditch, a tow truck comes to pull it out. The tow truck(origin) parks on the road and lowers its cable(muscle) to the truck in the ditch and hooks to the trucks frame(insertion) the wench pulls the truck from the ditch, the tow truck is stationary and the wrecked truck moves. Clear as mud, huh?

WELL im sorry to report I GOT MY FIRST D IN MY COLLEGE LIFE!!! WHAT A FUCKING humbling experience. Not to mention a horrible teacher and a lab I wasn’t prepared to give 20 hr a week to off hour cadaver study time.

DAMM THAT HURTS!!!

SO PISSED!

WELL im sorry to report I GOT MY FIRST D IN MY COLLEGE LIFE!!! WHAT A FUCKING humbling experience. Not to mention a horrible teacher and a lab I wasn’t prepared to give 20 hr a week to off hour cadaver study time.

DAMM THAT HURTS!!! [/quote]

I feel for you man, made out with a D- myself.

At least now I know what to expect in Chiropractic College.

funny me to for CHIROPRACTIC! where are you looking at going?

didn’t you feel that you probablly knew more about anatomy and physiology (then the entire department?

At least I know im not alone!
thanks for posting

Dude that sucks - sorry to hear that.

Will you have to take the course again, or is the D acceptable for your degree? (if you aren’t transferring that is - obviously then you need at least a C).

I actually found the first semester of A&P the hardest - I managed a B+, but it was rough. Myology and the study of anatomical landmarks on bones was particularly tough. Honestly, I brought my video camera to lab and filmed everything - talk about an invaluable study aid. Once I started that, I went from mid-80s on exams to 95s and 100s…nothing like seeing the actual parts over and over again. If you can do that, you should.

I’m actually here posting from the school library as I have my lecture final in 2 hours - final lab practical was Tuesday. A&P II was easier for me - more interesting too, especially the Endocrine system and the bio-chem portions. Oh, and I finished my year of molecular chemistry last semester - a B in both sections, and I agree - chem was very tough - tons of math.

I’m good for at least a B in A&P II, but if I ace this last exam I could see a B+ or an A…

PM me if you need any study tips or other help - I’d be glad to give you whatever advice I can…

[quote]Flow wrote:
Make flash cards, use mnemonic devices, and put time into studying. The anatomy takes time to memorize, but the good thing is that you can apply the physiology you learn to the anatomy.

Don’t just see the structures and remember their names-internalize their actions by visualizing the activities they perform. Drawing them helps a lot. I drew the heart MANY, MANY times until I had the valves and flow of blood down cold. If you can visualize what you are discussing and see the physiologic activities, there won’t be many questions they can ask you that you can’t logic out.[/quote]

D sucks. If it is your first year many universities will allow you to take the course again and replace the D.

I second what Flow wrote BUT I will add when you visualize, picture yourself in the structure. As if it was all around you. As you learn more your visualization will get more detailed.

GOOD LUCK!

funny me to for CHIROPRACTIC! where are you looking at going?

didn’t you feel that you probablly knew more about anatomy and physiology (then the entire department?

At least I know im not alone!
thanks for posting[/quote]

NYCC hopefully, I live only 10 minutes away from it haha.