T Nation

Analyse New Workout Please


#1

Okay , well first before i start pls do not make fun of my progress , its still progress . well , i've been doing stronglifts 5x5 for the past 2 months . i've had to make several deloads on almost all of my lifts now and then . but overall my weight has increased . my height is still the same at 6 feet but my weight has gone from 110 to 119 pounds .

The issue is today i met this guy at the gym who really criticized my workout . he said that stronglifts was just a strength training or starter workout and that i really didnt look like a guy who could deadlift 100 pounds . so clearly my strength has increased but my mass does not show it . he suggested to switch to the following workout -

squat-3x8
calf raises ( while holding the barbell) - 3x8
bench press -3x8
tricep curls - 3x8
forearm curls -3x8
deadlift - 1x5

According to him , it would be better to switch to this workout and to follow it each day . i am just looking for other people's views . doesnt this seem to be over training ? and also iam swimming 5 days a week plus cricket practice twice a week . I really think its over training but i really want to know what everyone else thinks .

PS - i do appear not to be making much appearance change with stronglifts despite my strength increasing . and my target is to bulk . pls guys , just analyse this without hurling rude comments !


#2

If your making progress on 5x5 then there is no reason to change it and listen to some random guy in the gym. Also don’t forget to eat a lot especially since you are swimming and playing cricket. Aslong as you eat enough sleep enough and can recover for your next training session your not over training IMO


#3

I agree, people always think that whatever they are doing is the best. Stick to what is working for you, you have a good structured program, if you stick to it, you will make great progress (granted you are eating correctly). It’s good to learn from others that are ahead of you, but that doesn’t always mean it’s the best for you.

Also please remember, IF your strength is increasing, you will gain size. If you do not appear a lot larger, that’s because it takes time. You have to be patient and enjoy the process, but focus on increasing strength because increasing strength brings all the other good things like size and definition. Stick to your workout because it is working. Also don’t worry about people being rude to you on here for being a beginner, everyone respects you for your efforts to improve. If anyone ever is rude it’s because they are a dick, and nobody else here would like them either. Good luck!


#4

At this point, looking like someone who lifts is really a matter of eating enough. You are still REALLY thin so the answer to most of the problems you could encounter will be ‘eat more’.

PS important life lesson: whatever you do, someone will tell you you’re doing it wrong. That guy at your gym is an idiot.


#5

[quote]mwiersma wrote:
I agree, people always think that whatever they are doing is the best. Stick to what is working for you, you have a good structured program, if you stick to it, you will make great progress (granted you are eating correctly). It’s good to learn from others that are ahead of you, but that doesn’t always mean it’s the best for you.

Also please remember, IF your strength is increasing, you will gain size. If you do not appear a lot larger, that’s because it takes time. You have to be patient and enjoy the process, but focus on increasing strength because increasing strength brings all the other good things like size and definition. Stick to your workout because it is working. Also don’t worry about people being rude to you on here for being a beginner, everyone respects you for your efforts to improve. If anyone ever is rude it’s because they are a dick, and nobody else here would like them either. Good luck![/quote]

thnx . just wanted to confirm cuz that guy is most definetly ahead of me :stuck_out_tongue: and thanks for the advice . i’ll stick to my 5x5 then


#6

Good to hear! Keep us updated with your progress


#7

[quote]mwiersma wrote:
Good to hear! Keep us updated with your progress[/quote]

will do :slight_smile:


#8

Is that a typo when you say you are 6 feet tall and 119 pounds?


#9

[quote]Chris87 wrote:
Is that a typo when you say you are 6 feet tall and 119 pounds? [/quote]

no its not


#10

Congratulations on gaining 9 pounds. I’m glad you’ve been sticking with it. Just keep doing what you’re doing.


#11

[quote]Reed wrote:

[quote]Chris87 wrote:
Is that a typo when you say you are 6 feet tall and 119 pounds? [/quote]

no its not[/quote]

This can’t be real

OP, stop swimming. Stop cricket practice. Stop posting on this forum. Go fucking eat before you die.


#12

[quote]Chris87 wrote:

[quote]Reed wrote:

[quote]Chris87 wrote:
Is that a typo when you say you are 6 feet tall and 119 pounds? [/quote]

no its not[/quote]

This can’t be real

OP, stop swimming. Stop cricket practice. Stop posting on this forum. Go fucking eat before you die.[/quote]

Oh it’s real alright. This is the 3rd or 4th tread he’s made so far, over the past 6 months or so. All with the same issue and all with the same problems.

OP, we’re not being rude when we tell you to eat. We are telling you it’s for your own damn safety and health, not to mention it’s the only way to build muscle. I’m glad you gained 9 pounds and all, but you should be gaining much more than that. You are scarily underweight.


#13

Keep in mind that he’s 15 though. I agree he’s skinny but from what we’ve heard in this thread, he may finally be on the right path.

OP, can you reduce the amount of swimming or is this something you do with your school?


#14

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:
Keep in mind that he’s 15 though. I agree he’s skinny but from what we’ve heard in this thread, he may finally be on the right path.

OP, can you reduce the amount of swimming or is this something you do with your school?[/quote]

Yeah, I had forgotten he was 15. Still thr skinniest guys I ever knew at that age and height (and I was really skiny as well), were a good 15 lbs heavier than him, or 135 lb. So it’s still concerning to me.


#15

Get on that Michael Phelps 8,000 and some odd calorie a day diet


#16

[quote]Aragorn wrote:

[quote]Chris87 wrote:

[quote]Reed wrote:

[quote]Chris87 wrote:
Is that a typo when you say you are 6 feet tall and 119 pounds? [/quote]

no its not[/quote]

This can’t be real

OP, stop swimming. Stop cricket practice. Stop posting on this forum. Go fucking eat before you die.[/quote]

Oh it’s real alright. This is the 3rd or 4th tread he’s made so far, over the past 6 months or so. All with the same issue and all with the same problems.

OP, we’re not being rude when we tell you to eat. We are telling you it’s for your own damn safety and health, not to mention it’s the only way to build muscle. I’m glad you gained 9 pounds and all, but you should be gaining much more than that. You are scarily underweight. [/quote]

First of all , its less than 3 months not 6 . secondly i can’t stop my sports cuz iam on scholorship cuz of them , if i stop my swimming and cricket my family wont be able to pay for my education . and thirdly , all 3 of my threads werent about the same issue . the first was asking on how to get my abs , second was regarding why i wasnt progressing and this one was to check whether that guy’s workout or mine is better . i dont get how those 3 threads are all the same .


#17

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:
Keep in mind that he’s 15 though. I agree he’s skinny but from what we’ve heard in this thread, he may finally be on the right path.

OP, can you reduce the amount of swimming or is this something you do with your school?[/quote]

sadly i cant reduce my swimming nor my cricket . and neither do i enjoy either of the sports . but the thing is iam on scholarship cuz of those sports , if i stop them i will not have my scholarship and my family needs that scholarship in order to pay for my education . so reducing the swimming or the cricket is not an option , although i really would love to stop them !


#18

[quote]chobbs wrote:
Get on that Michael Phelps 8,000 and some odd calorie a day diet[/quote]

my swimming workout is not under my control . we have to do what the coach says . and yes , its almost the copy of the michael phelps 8 mile . what iam doing is 7.6 , havent hit the 8 mile just yet .


#19

[quote]siddhu_r wrote:

[quote]chobbs wrote:
Get on that Michael Phelps 8,000 and some odd calorie a day diet[/quote]

my swimming workout is not under my control . we have to do what the coach says . and yes , its almost the copy of the michael phelps 8 mile . what iam doing is 7.6 , havent hit the 8 mile just yet . [/quote]

He meant, you should try the Michael Phelps 8000 calorie diet.


#20

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]siddhu_r wrote:

[quote]chobbs wrote:
Get on that Michael Phelps 8,000 and some odd calorie a day diet[/quote]

my swimming workout is not under my control . we have to do what the coach says . and yes , its almost the copy of the michael phelps 8 mile . what iam doing is 7.6 , havent hit the 8 mile just yet . [/quote]

He meant, you should try the Michael Phelps 8000 calorie diet.[/quote]

oh right okay , i thought he meant the workout . iam currently eating as much as possible . i know its probably not enough but iam doing my best .