T Nation

Anal Fissure

Anyone ever had one of these? It’s a real pain in the ass :slight_smile: I’m thinkin of getting surgery. Let me know your experiences.

In Pain, I empathize completely. I had a series of anal fissures over the course of about 6 years. While there was never an absolute determination about the initial cause, it was possible that something undigested and sharp (nuts, ect.) tore into the sensitive lining.
The docs ruled out IBS and Crone’s through a series of fun little procedures wherin I had to starve myself the night before only to be blown up like a balloon via my monkey butt for further inspection.
Without becoming too graphic, I had several peri-anal abcesses lanced by a surgeon who suggested that I have surgery to remove the affected tissue. I had the surgery and got to bleed out of my ass for about a week. No problems since. I just can’t eat nuts or chunky peanut butter. And now you all know more than you ever wanted to know about me. Seriously, if you have any questions or concerns about any of the procedures ask away.

MBE: “Helping in his own, mortifyingly honest, severely graphic, undescribably tasteless way since the dawn of unkempt time.”

-Eric

I had one of those too. This post is becoming a place for “Anal Fissures Anonymous” lol. Anyway, the doctor perscribed me cream with 0.2% nitroglycerin, and it healed the tissue. No surgery necessary.

-------------------

Harkonnen: Fissure-free since 1999

Holy Crap.

I’m assuming you were actually DIAGNOSED as having the fissures, and aren’t just ASSuming that’s what it is. As MBE graphically stated, there are other causes. Is this just anal bleeding? Could be colitis (I’ve had this flare up a few times, not too pleasant), or Crohn’s.

I have never had the pleasure of bleeding out my ass but I truly feel sorry for anyone that does. My training partner had colitis and went thru a couple of major surgeries to get rid of his colon. Not very nice.

can you people please post how the hell this happens, i’ve never heard of such things and want to avoid them for obvious reasons. tia

Ya i was diagnosed with it. For those who want to prevent it, make sure u get at least 25 g of fiber a day. Eat lots of whole wheat bread, veggies, beans, whole grain cereals, and of course drink tons of water. It’s caused by passing huge dry stools.

If you’re talking fissures, MBE and the others have you covered. If you’re talking about avoiding Crohn’s or colitis, well, there’s no real confirmed cause. No one knows what really causes it. I know I’ve found a correlation between the flare-ups and poor sleep patterns over an extended period (for me). Others have different triggers. It can be controlled through use of sulfasalazine, and prednisone for flare-ups. Only sever cases need colon removal. It IS a pre-cancerous condition (it’s correllated with a dramatic increase in colon cancer risk), so the pros keep close tabs on it – colonoscopy every couple years.

Okay, a couple days ago a friend asked me what exactly a hemmoroid was, and after thinking about it I realized that I didn’t know the answer. I could look it up, of course, but I have the feeling that the responses I get here will be more fun. So, can anyone explain this to me?

Thanks.

You can get internal and external hemorroids. I think the simplest explanation is that they are sort of like varicose veins of the ass. My g/f just had minor surgery to get rid of her internal ones and that is how she explained a hemorroid to me.

Imagine an asshole. Now imagine a cooked purple bean that’s as wide as it is long. Imagine the bean being stuck half-way into your flesh beside the asshole. The bean is filled with pus. After a while, it subsides.

I’m really freaked out about this colon cancer talk because I know my dead grandfather died at the age of 50-something because of colon complications.

Well, I was right: that WAS more fun.

Thank you, BRF, and especially Harkonnen, for your picturesque descriptions. I now have a very vivid picture of a huge purple bean stuck halfway into sewerhooker.

You’re in luck; this is the kind of stuff (unfortunately) that I just had to do a REALLY long write-up on for a course I’m in. This is what happens when EXS majors are mixed in with Pre-Meds…

Hemorrhoids-Also known as ?piles,? hemorrhoids is a condition characterized by dilation of the veins around the anus. Hemorrhoids may be internal or external, and are generally caused by constipation (stools have less bulk) increasing pressure in the affected veins. Signs and symptoms include pain, bleeding, itching, and inability to control mucous and/or fecal anal discharge. Although the best treatment is prevention through diet, several treatment options are available once the condition is present. For external hemorrhoids, treatment should include emphasis on proper hygiene, stool softeners, warm water baths, local anesthetics, vasoconstrictors, and protectants (astringents, antiseptics, keratolytics, and analgesics); most of these medications can be found over-the-counter in the form of ointments, creams, gels, suppositories, and foams. Some external hemorrhoids may require surgical intervention. Internal hemorrhoids, on the other hand, almost always involve invasive treatment (rubber band ligation, injection sclerotherapy, infrared coagulation, or surgical hemorrhoidectomy). :slight_smile:

Oh! You were calling me an asshole in the other thread? I thought you were signing out :wink:

Not bad.

Not great, mind you … but not bad.

That would be a good band name.