T Nation

Anaconda Peri-Workout for Strength

First off, this is NOT a anaconda protocol question, it is a question on use of it in a different way.

I am thinking of using Anaconda as a peri-workout drink for a powerlifter I am helping out. My goals using this would be:

Helping workout performance
Muscle and strength recovery

Since training is generally not a high rep, glycogen depleting workout, that is why I am steering away from SR and SWF - both which have a decent amount of carbs. Barring the type of protein differences, I am basically thinking of Anaconda as a combination SR/SWF without the carbs. Gaining muscle isn’t a priority, it is more about strength, enhancing the workout, and recovery.

This makes sense to me, but before I recommend this, I would like to hear any other opinions. Thanks.

Just curious… What are the results of your last pariworkout experiment?

[quote]gabex wrote:
Just curious… What are the results of your last pariworkout experiment?[/quote]

If you were following my forum posts, should be in there, I was doing weekly updates, so if you search on it, that should answer your question. Off-hand, I really liked the energy and recovery from it, I could definitely hit it harder than when I wasn’t using it. Added some muscle too, nothing crazy like 20lbs, but I’m up 5-10lbs or so, chest/lats, arms, and legs somewhat bigger. I liked it, debating on trying the actual protocol but am waffling on a couple different routes on where I want to go with my training. Hope this helps.

What is the typical length of the workouts? Powerlifting workouts can be very long and brutally hard–and glycogen draining.

Crowbar

[quote]crowbar46 wrote:
What is the typical length of the workouts? Powerlifting workouts can be very long and brutally hard–and glycogen draining.

Crowbar[/quote]

Generally right around an hour, and that includes the warmup. Generally stays within the strength rep range, for the most part nothing over 8 for the main and accessory exercises.

C’mon, nobody has an opinion on it?

Still seems like it would be worth a shot (if you can afford it), you might just need fewer carbs if your workout is low volume.?