T Nation

Anabolic Diet?

I want to get started on this Anabolic Diet because it sounds amazing! I am going to try and track down a copy of the book or whatever it is im supposed to look for, but if anyone can give me the basics on how to get started while i track that down it would be great!

what i have gathered is 60/35/5 fat/prot/carbs mon-fri and then carb up on weekends. and for 200lb man apply that to roughly 3600kcals. is this all i need to know? i read something that made me think that the first two weeks were a bit different, so im confused. also, im pretty aware of whats got protein and carbs in it, and what is fatty with carbs in it, but not really whats just fat besides all the oils and such. eggs, bacon and sausage sounds like fun too!

also, should i save that 5% carbs for PWO meal?

thanks everyone!

[quote]dez6485 wrote:
I want to get started on this Anabolic Diet because it sounds amazing! I am going to try and track down a copy of the book or whatever it is im supposed to look for, but if anyone can give me the basics on how to get started while i track that down it would be great!

what i have gathered is 60/35/5 fat/prot/carbs mon-fri and then carb up on weekends. and for 200lb man apply that to roughly 3600kcals. is this all i need to know? i read something that made me think that the first two weeks were a bit different, so im confused. also, im pretty aware of whats got protein and carbs in it, and what is fatty with carbs in it, but not really whats just fat besides all the oils and such. eggs, bacon and sausage sounds like fun too!

also, should i save that 5% carbs for PWO meal?

thanks everyone![/quote]

Try reading the thread “My Experience on the Anabolic Diet”. Has all the answers you need.

perhaps i should have prefaced this: the “my experience on the anabolic diet” thread spans over more than a year, has 2100+ replies, and is 85+ pages long. i have time in my life to rearrange the way that i eat and change the foods, but not time to sift through 85% of that which is “oh yea worked great for me too” and other comments that are of relatively little value to me. so, of 50 some people to view this, one responds…

if anyone can actually help me out, instead of pointing me towards a thread that i would have only missed if i was blind, please do so. otherwise, i dont need to be referenced somewhere else. thanks.

Maybe you should read the fuckin thread before you decide that 50% of it is “yea, it worked for me.” Or, maybe no one wants to help you because you come off like an arrogant, cock-smokin, jackfuck? I don’t know, I’m just guessin here.

[quote]IL Cazzo wrote:
Maybe you should read the fuckin thread before you decide that 50% of it is “yea, it worked for me.” Or, maybe no one wants to help you because you come off like an arrogant, cock-smokin, jackfuck? I don’t know, I’m just guessin here.[/quote]

im happy for you that youve got enough free time in your day to read that whole fucking thing. try doing something else with your time you arrogant, cocksmokin jackfuck.

its fucking stupid that people that know the answers to peoples questions cant simply just answer the fucking question because of the fact that one of the other 700,000 registered T-Nation users has asked the question sometime in the past 6-8 years. i suppose if youre walking down the street and pass someone with a flat tire, and they asked you how to change it, youd tell them to “read the fucking manual on how to change tires” huh? because clearly the question had been asked before, by someone, somewhere, and clearly the answer to their question had been compiled some time, by someone. therefore, jesus christ, how arrogant they must be to ask You, GOD almighty, for your help on how to change their tire.

i am arrogant because i asked for help? then i get this as a response: a) someone that doesnt know the answer, and therefore shouldnt have responded to the question, or b) knows the answer, but would rather say “go read it for yourself” than just give me a simple answer- which makes them a dick. but somehow in that i became arrogant? hmmm. perhaps you need a dictionary so you can stop using words of which you dont know the meaning you arrogant, cocksmokin jackfuck.

Honestly…I don’t know the answer to your question, but it doesn’t sound like you have read the actual article on the diet.

Do a search for “Anabolic Diet”, Or I think it may have been called “Eating like a man”. The writeup itself is very straightforward and consise.

E-book on e-aby for 3 bucks.

i would certainly be interested in reading a T-Nation article about it. i searched for “anabolic diet” last night and it looked like everything it came up with just mentioned the diet in the article, but wasnt actually the article itself. perhaps it is called something else? i also remember reading someones post somewhere saying that the anabolic diet article was several years old and that its now called like T-Dawg 2.0 but its a little different. anyone know what im talking about?

Its really not that hard to use the search engine. If you want information, you should look for it, and not expect it to just fall into your lap

[quote]dez6485 wrote:
im happy for you that youve got enough free time in your day to read that whole fucking thing. try doing something else with your time you arrogant, cocksmokin jackfuck.

its fucking stupid that people that know the answers to peoples questions cant simply just answer the fucking question because of the fact that one of the other 700,000 registered T-Nation users has asked the question sometime in the past 6-8 years. i suppose if youre walking down the street and pass someone with a flat tire, and they asked you how to change it, youd tell them to “read the fucking manual on how to change tires” huh? because clearly the question had been asked before, by someone, somewhere, and clearly the answer to their question had been compiled some time, by someone. therefore, jesus christ, how arrogant they must be to ask You, GOD almighty, for your help on how to change their tire.

i am arrogant because i asked for help? then i get this as a response: a) someone that doesnt know the answer, and therefore shouldnt have responded to the question, or b) knows the answer, but would rather say “go read it for yourself” than just give me a simple answer- which makes them a dick. but somehow in that i became arrogant? hmmm. perhaps you need a dictionary so you can stop using words of which you dont know the meaning you arrogant, cocksmokin jackfuck. [/quote]

You’re easily agitated. That was a good response, but truthfully your questions on the diet do make it sound like you didn’t do much research on it. Posting a question on here you should make the assumption people will tell you to go read an already established thread on the specific diet you are questioning. It would have been good for your original post to be less wordy and actually have mentioned that you “looked through” the large thread and you are still confused.

[quote]dez6485 wrote:
i would certainly be interested in reading a T-Nation article about it. i searched for “anabolic diet” last night and it looked like everything it came up with just mentioned the diet in the article, but wasnt actually the article itself. perhaps it is called something else? i also remember reading someones post somewhere saying that the anabolic diet article was several years old and that its now called like T-Dawg 2.0 but its a little different. anyone know what im talking about?[/quote]

In a manner of 30 seconds I found the following links…

http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=body_69eat

http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=body_71eat

Have you read these? And yes supposedly the T-Dawg 2.0 is a better version- but I’ve done T-Dawg and it didn’t seem anything like what the AD should have been.

I do want to say that the AD is an old method. I would consider something a little more current if I were you.

cool. i would have to say my diet is my biggest downfall. that and not having a workout partner i push it and push it and get to moving decent weights, then get comfortable for a while before i realize my progress has stopped and i need to start pushing it again. anyway, i am here to be educated. you say that they AD diet is old, and i assume that means improved upon, so what would you suggest, as i dont even know where to begin. thanks.

[quote]dez6485 wrote:
I do want to say that the AD is an old method. I would consider something a little more current if I were you.

cool. i would have to say my diet is my biggest downfall. that and not having a workout partner i push it and push it and get to moving decent weights, then get comfortable for a while before i realize my progress has stopped and i need to start pushing it again. anyway, i am here to be educated. you say that they AD diet is old, and i assume that means improved upon, so what would you suggest, as i dont even know where to begin. thanks.[/quote]

I dont know if this will help you but perhaps you should read up on Massive Eating by Dr. John Berardi; he has updated them with articles called ME-reloaded, or something similar to that. I am too lazy to post links.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
dez6485 wrote:

dez6485 wrote:
i would certainly be interested in reading a T-Nation article about it. i searched for “anabolic diet” last night and it looked like everything it came up with just mentioned the diet in the article, but wasnt actually the article itself. perhaps it is called something else? i also remember reading someones post somewhere saying that the anabolic diet article was several years old and that its now called like T-Dawg 2.0 but its a little different. anyone know what im talking about?

In a manner of 30 seconds I found the following links…

http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=body_69eat

http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=body_71eat

Have you read these? And yes supposedly the T-Dawg 2.0 is a better version- but I’ve done T-Dawg and it didn’t seem anything like what the AD should have been.

I do want to say that the AD is an old method. I would consider something a little more current if I were you.[/quote]

Completely agree,good post mate.
is the metabolic diet (mauro Di Pasquale) the same as the anabolic diet?If it is where on the same page if not please ignore this post.
The MDiet(this is my understanding of it from serious strength training book)is basically during weekdays the athletes total calorie intake would be taken from the following MAcronutrients
40-60% fat, 40-50% of Protein and 4-10% or 30 grams of Carbs(which ever is less).
On weekends the athlete has a 12-48 hour carbohydrate loading phase (this will depend on the individuals insulin sensitivty levels, response etc) where there is no real limit to the amount of carbs one consumes, protein intake should be 15-30% of TCI and Fat intake should be 20-40%. Again numbers vary youll have to play with it, just stop consuming carbs at the point you feel puffy/overly bloated.
The above is basically a very brief synopsis of the MDiet.
The first two weeks(12 days) are different to it because it calls for strict adherence to the 30gram carb rule.The purpose is to make the insulin response to the carbs to the high carbohydrate intake(in the 2nd weekend day 13 and 14) even greater then it normally would be. Then after this weekend, you repeat the cycle outlined above:5 days Low carb 2 days High Carb(replenish glycogen stores) for however long you want.
Refinement of Diet:Individualisation of diet, for some people the above cycle will work beautifully especially if they are effected by insulin resistence. For others a higher carb level is advocated(if you start feeling tired maybe a carb spike day say on wednsday, author recommends o.5 to 1g of carbs per pound of body weight).
The very popular t-dawg diet would be better for these people-it takes into account the time of day where the body is at its most efficient in utilising carbs-breakfast and post workout shake(surge/pro recover are great post workout shakes)
Basically te T-Dawg diet(for more detail read the article) is a more humane version of the M Diet also more practical and in my view althogh some may disagree, is physiologically- (impairment of performance can be an issue in very low carb diets-you mentioned that you struggled with some of the weights when going on diets before-if your just concerned about aesthetics then this may just be minutia to you but you certainly wont be increaing your bench/squat numbers dramatically- and psychologically(you still have to sacrifice but not to the same extent) is just a better diet.
Sorry had to write this down very quick-my niece and nephew are smashing each other with their light sabres downstairs-so if you have any questions or want me to elaborate further let us know.
I follow the way of the Beradi, individualise it to suit my needs.His work is great its a diet that you can follow easily for life rather then just when you want to cut i could ramble on but need to go

thanks.

heres what i ate yesterday:

breakfast-
4 eggs scrambled w/ cheese
5 strips “ready crisp” bacon
1 tablespoon Ext Vir Oli Oil (dunno)

lunch-
3 cheeseburgers, bunless
little mayo for dipping
approx 6-7 strips of “ready crisp” bacon
2 glasses diet coke

Snack-
2 big slim jim type sticks
some Brazil nuts 4g carbs in this serving

Dinner-
probably about 1lb of hamburger meat w/ cheese mixed in…and some pepperoni…yea i dunno, it was there

Post Workout-
Muscle Milk Shake 8g carbs from the milk, and i think 15g from the powder itself

Before Bed Snack-
Cooked two cheeseburgers, ate all but maybe 1/4 of one

so i ended up with about 28g carbs. not sure if i did this right? as far as how i felt on such low carbs i felt pretty ok, and i didnt feel dragged down or anything in the workout.

Wow, all these questions could have just been asked in the AD thread. You wouldn’t even have needed to read it, because there are dozens of us doing the AD who would have answered your questions promptly. I guess not having your own thread wouldn’t make you feel “special” enough.

Incidentally, had you taken the time to read the thread, you’d find out that you were well over your 30g limit. Eggs have a small amount of carbs that nevertheless needs to be counted, and beef and cheese will sometimes have carbs as well. I’d highly advise you to drop the muscle milk and milk and replace them with a large amount of veggies. Then again, you’d know all this already had you read the AD thread :wink:

hmm. i really dont know what number i should go with when i look at my carton of eggs and it says total carbs: 0g. same with the package of meat. as for making remarks about me reading the “me experience…” thread, i think were over that, but thanks. anyway, ive got my own copy of the book now, so it isnt necessary.

what is wrong with the muscle milk? but i do understand why the veggies would be a good idea with the fiber and all. about that though, not to offend, but if i dont have a problem “dropping the kids off” on a diet like this, are the veggies necessary? thanks

but yea, youre right, i could have simply asked my questions in the thread itself. i suppose i just wanted to put my thread up front, hoping someone would see it and provide an answer, and then it wouldve been dead. either way, it was 3am when i posted it, perhaps the neurons werent firing efficiently

[quote]dez6485 wrote:
h
what is wrong with the muscle milk? but i do understand why the veggies would be a good idea with the fiber and all. about that though, not to offend, but if i dont have a problem “dropping the kids off” on a diet like this, are the veggies necessary? thanks[/quote]

Hm, well fiber and vegetables have a lot of benefits besides what they do for pooping, if you will. It helps if you’re using the AD to cut fat, as well as helps your cholesterol and other things. I get almost all my carbs from veggies and walnuts and then the little leftovers from eggs/cheese and they usually get very close to 30g per day.

I think food labeling laws allow people to round down on the eggs. I think the number on eggs, for example, is 0.7 carbs per large egg, so a 4-egg omelette would actually have 3 carbs. I also am positive that pepperoni has 1g carbs per 100 g, and if you’re using any kind of packaged cheese, that’s about the same.

well i threw in like 8 pepperonis, so…were talking about adding up all the little .3g carbs and .7g carbs and that crap and im still under 40g carbs, which, while it isnt 30g, i dont think its a big deal. after reading much of the “anabolic solution” today, i think it sounds cool, but theres a lot of talk about finding the carb number that works for you, and that the 30g isnt set in stone. while i will try to get closer to that 30g, its kind of an arbitrary number in regards to the macro ratios. if a 140lb guy is using the same ratios as a 280lb guy, they arent both going to come out to 30g carbs.

as far as cheese goes though, i dont live on a farm, or have any goats or cows running around, so pretty much all the cheese ill be purchasing will be packaged, but yea, i know what you mean- kraft packaged singles vs. a big block of cheddar. can i buy yellow american cheese from the deli counter though?

and another question. i read in the diet that its suggested not to carb up the first weekend of the diet, which is fine, but im going to Outback steakhouse this sunday night- if i save up my carbs all day, am i alright eating the aussie cheese fries…because itll probably end up over that 30g- but i dont really know.

and another q…im going camping for my 21st b-day jun5-8th, which are weekdays, now if i were to have 4-5 aspen edges or mich ultra, or a similar low carb beer each night, will that be ok? im not sure how alcohol works with “converting” to sugar and such.

that being said, i am pretty excited about this diet, as it makes sense to me, and i am anxious to see how it goes. thanks all.

IMO, if you want the diet to work for the best, I’d wait for 12 days (like the book recommends) to carb up. The author says that you can go for 5 days before a carb up, but he believes (if I remember correctly) that going for 12 days is best. It was kinda hard for me to get through it, but I did.

I think the diet works very well! I believe the only reason it got out of hand for me was that I was eating a bit more saturated fat than I should of eaten and wasn’t doing much cardio at all. Plus, I wasn’t eating a lot of protein from “real” sources (was coming from protein drinks).

From what I remember, I didn’t have many “afternoon crashes” (very few) like I do on high carb diets.

Within the next week, I’m going back to the high fat/high protein diet.

Good luck on the AD and hope you like it :slight_smile: