T Nation

Anabolic Diet


#1

Do any powerlifters or strongmen here use the anabolic diet at all?

What is it like for strength gains?


#2

I compete in powerlifting. I used to compete in gear, but now my focus is raw. The Anabolic Diet has worked well for me over the years. I can’t really tell if there is a significant strength gain, but it hasn’t hurt my strength. The NHE (natural hormonal enhancement) Diet is also a good choice for a low carb diet. The difference is you carb load on Wednesdays and Sundays. If you have a problem with insulin sensitivity The NHE Diet works better. Here is a link: http://www.hormonalfitness.com/.

I am not a diet expert, but I have read a lot of diet books and I would advise you to take a metabolic typing test. If your results show you as a protein type then do the Anabolic Diet or NHE Diet, if you are a carb type or mixed type you should follow a carb cycling diet. It is not as extremely low in carbs. Here is a link: http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=370&pid=2945

Here is a link to a metabolic typing test:
http://www.naturalhealthyellowpages.com/metabolic/self_test.html


#3

[quote]Phillip Wylie wrote:
I compete in powerlifting. I used to compete in gear, but now my focus is raw. The Anabolic Diet has worked well for me over the years. I can’t really tell if there is a significant strength gain, but it hasn’t hurt my strength.

The NHE (natural hormonal enhancement) Diet is also a good choice for a low carb diet. The difference is you carb load on Wednesdays and Sundays. If you have a problem with insulin sensitivity The NHE Diet works better. Here is a link: http://www.hormonalfitness.com/.

I am not a diet expert, but I have read a lot of diet books and I would advise you to take a metabolic typing test. If your results show you as a protein type then do the Anabolic Diet or NHE Diet, if you are a carb type or mixed type you should follow a carb cycling diet.

It is not as extremely low in carbs. Here is a link: http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=370&pid=2945

Here is a link to a metabolic typing test:
http://www.naturalhealthyellowpages.com/metabolic/self_test.html
[/quote]

Great post man. I wasn’t interested at all before you posted that, but I think I’ll test myself for the hell of it.


#4

never seen that metabolic test phillip.
i turned out to be protein type (which i figured). carbs dont do me well.

another question in addition to DCRs:
with diets like the AD, they have few carb ups, how do these factor in to your heavier lifting days? do you feel sluggish on the other days?


#5

[quote]coolnatedawg wrote:
never seen that metabolic test phillip.
i turned out to be protein type (which i figured). carbs dont do me well.
[/quote]

Same here, on both accounts.

Very cool.


#6

[quote]masonator wrote:
Great post man. I wasn’t interested at all before you posted that, but I think I’ll test myself for the hell of it.[/quote]

I am glad you found it useful. I think if you follow the correct micro nutrients for your metabolic type you will be more successful, but I don’t think you necessarily have to follow the Metabolic Typing Diet.


#7

[quote]coolnatedawg wrote:
never seen that metabolic test phillip.
i turned out to be protein type (which i figured). carbs dont do me well.

another question in addition to DCRs:
with diets like the AD, they have few carb ups, how do these factor in to your heavier lifting days? do you feel sluggish on the other days?[/quote]

After the 12 day induction phase you should feel better. The first week you may feel drained and have no energy, but I felt that way mainly walking upstairs and not so much during workouts. I am a powerlifter so I don’t do ridiculous amounts of volume.

You should consider adding a fiber supplement, potassium, and magnesium. All the protein and getting used to the diet can cause constipation and the fiber helps. The potassium and magnesium help prevent cramps. The first week or two of the diet I get cramps.


#8

anyother responses?