Anabolic Diet Questions

Hi Everyone!

My name is Kim, i’m new to T-Nation. I’ve been powerlifting for 3.5 years now.

I have a few questions about the anabolic diet. I hope you will be able to answer :slight_smile:

I am currently 5 days into the starting phase.

I was wondering, because I count everything on myfitnesspal. I was just wondering if fiber counts towards total carb intake. I am aware that i have to keep carbs under 30 grams. But I read on forums that Fiber IS a carb. So If i have 30g carbs per day and take a fiber supplement and hit 40g of fiber. Does it mean I am over consuming carbs??

1. Am I actually consuming 40grams of carbs or is it still 30g of carbs?
  2. OR is it 30g of carbs + 40 g of fiber which adds up to 70g of carbs??

Second question

I was wondering if it is okay to drink coke zero? Although it says its virtually 0 carbs. But was wondering if it has any impact on insulin. Will it kick me out of ketosis.

Many thanks and any help would be appreciated :slight_smile:
Kim

1. Don’t count fiber. It is composed of carbs, but because your body cannot digest it it passes into the colon where bacteria ferment it into short chain fatty acids. The carbs in fiber never become carbs in your body, they typically yield about 2 calories per gram through fermentation into butyrate and other SCFAs.

2. You shouldn’t be in ketosis for the Anabolic Diet. You might enter it for a while in the induction phase, but once you become fat adapted your ketone levels should be normal. I would be more concerned about the various non-food chemicals in a diet Coke instead of how it affects your insulin. I prefer to drink naturally flavored sparkling waters, and maybe some tea if I need the caffeine. Good luck on this diet!

Don’t count fibre. You will need it. 30g is not written in stone. Find out what your max will be. As long as you don’t have milk (heavy cream is better), too many nuts, etc, you will be fine.

I stayed away from all sodas. But in the grand scheme a thing, as long as you don’t have it every meal, you should be fine. If you are worried about insulin spike, don’t have it.

BTW, only you will know if you are over consuming carbs. See how your body feels. Get the sticks to make absolutely sure. Good luck for the next 9 days.

Thank you so much for the reply :slight_smile: Much appreciated! I was wondering how long the Starting phase should be. Some say 12 days. You said good luck for the next 9 days + my 5 days which equals to 14 days. Some people say 3-4 weeks. I was wondering what’s the most optimal for the starting phase.

I bought the ketostix and it says i have Trace amounts of ketones in my urine. I got this reading after 15 seconds in my urine. Is it the correct state to be at?

Before I was being trained by this dude who didnt know anything and he put me on 900 calories and only protein and veggie diet. I felt f**king horrible…and everyday passed by so slowly…

On this starting phase it doesnt even feel like i’m even on a “diet”…it feels so…easy? I’m not sure if this is the right thing that i’m doing. I didnt really feel much of those symptoms that were described when you go through the metabolic-shift. I was wondering if i’m doing anything wrong.

Thank you once again!
Kim

Thank you so much for the reply :slight_smile: Much appreciated! I was wondering how long the Starting phase should be. Some say 12 days. You said good luck for the next 9 days + my 5 days which equals to 14 days. Some people say 3-4 weeks. I was wondering what’s the most optimal for the starting phase.

I bought the ketostix and it says i have Trace amounts of ketones in my urine. I got this reading after 15 seconds in my urine. Is it the correct state to be at?

Before I was being trained by this dude who didnt know anything and he put me on 900 calories and only protein and veggie diet. I felt f**king horrible…and everyday passed by so slowly…

On this starting phase it doesnt even feel like i’m even on a “diet”…it feels so…easy? I’m not sure if this is the right thing that i’m doing. I didnt really feel much of those symptoms that were described when you go through the metabolic-shift. I was wondering if i’m doing anything wrong.

Thank you once again!
Kim

Diet soda is permitted on the AD - just don’t use it to satiate carb cravings; you might end up consuming excessive amounts.

Thanks a lot!

Again, don’t worry about ketosis. It will pass as your body adapts to using fatty acids for fuel. During the transition you will be producing more ketones than normal until your body has produced sufficient enzymes for increased fatty acid metabolism.

Everyone experiences the transition differently. It will depend on your fitness level, previous diet, and your natural genetic disposition. Some people produce more fat utilizing enzymes than others and feel little to no effects of the transition. Someone who has consitsently eaten high carbs for many years will definitely have a noticeable period of sluggishness.