T Nation

Anabolic Diet Problems/Doubts

I started the anabolic diet on Monday, so far so good however my Mom is going crazy, she thinks that not having any carbs in the week and eating a lot more fats is going to kill me.
I really do not know what to say to her because its like trying to talk to a brick wall shes so damn stubborn.

I’ve tried explaining to her what it is all about and how it works…
Got any advice on how to handle this situation?

Also I would like to know if this diet will help me lose any bodyfat? I understand the theory of this but eating fat to lose fat still seems too good to be true.

If you have the book, give it to her. That might quell a great deal of her concern.

If not, now might not be the best time for you to do the anabolic diet. You have to be in a position of control over your diet, and when you’re living with your parents and dinner is whatever mom cooks… you don’t.

AFTER the adaptation phase, the AD is a good diet to cut with. Most studies suggest that eating fat to lose fat is really the only way to go.

I’ll have to buy the book, amazon?

But yeah thanks for the advice, I might not be able to do it :confused:

Your Mom has fallen prey to all the same FDA bullshit that just about everybody else has too. I wouldn’t hold my breath trying to convince her. All those nice folks in white coats can’t be wrong can they. Har Dee Har Har.

My every time I visit my fat parents they keep telling me that I eat too much meat.

On that note, I’m going to agree with the people who say you might not be ready for this. And why the fuck are you thinking about losing bodyfat at 130 lbs?

Also, from your last sentence, I would guess you still need to learn more about nutrition and body chemistry.

I’ve lost count of the number of verbal sparring sessions I’ve had over AD - and it’s only been 10 days. In fact, someone today was preaching to me how bad it is for my health - it made me laugh as she was stuffing multiple cream cakes into her face at the time!

Try e-bay for the book, there may be an old copy going cheap.

The AD is a fanstatic program. Remind her you are still getting good low glycemic carbs in your vegies, nuts etc. Let her know on the weekend you get the higher carbs, oatmeal, brown rice, sweet potatoes.

They are alot of saboteuors (sp) out here. My sister and husband just laughed at me. I am 20 pounds lighter now. Who’s laughing now.

Anyway the mention of 130 lbs may not be the time right now to lose bodyfat. I think you need to re-access your goals. Are you truely holding that much body fat or do you just need to eat better and pump up your workout.?

fitnesslady

I’ve been on the AD since August 06 non stop, but have used it to get bigger, just the opposite. It allows me to eat a lot more calories without getting fat.

The diet works phenomenally well. If you are 18 now hopefully you will be on your own soon enough, and then it won’t be an issue.

You could also earn some money and buy your own food.

If you really can’t make it happen then I would at least work on cutting excess CHO out of your diet for now. The first few weeks of the diet will go smoother for you if you do that.

And yeah, the diet will help you drop fat. A big key here for me is the duration of the weekend load. The longer and harder I get after it on the weekend, the higher I can push my bodyweight. No matter how much you eat during the week, though, you will probably be at least 5 lbs lighter by Friday. (I’m often 10 lbs lighter at the end of the week). If you want to accelerate fat loss beyond what you’re seeing the first mod I would make is to clean and shorten the load. This works better than cutting calories during the week.

Play with it…

And like Tirib said, the real beauty of the diet is that it’s virtually impossible to gain significant bodyfat. I’m talking eating a shitload during the week and loading with 10,000 calories a day on the weekend, which I oten do…that’s why it’s the ‘Anabolic’ diet. In fairness, though, someone who has a hard time gaining weight will probably find it even harder on the AD.

But the real value of the diet is the quality weight gain…cutting bodyfat is relatively simple (although not much fun,) and there are many proven methods of doing it…it’s more about just knuckling down and getting it done.

It sounds pretty good for me thanks for the feedback all.
To a few of the above comments, I’m not trying to lose body weight as such… Just body fat I want to get down to about 8-10% bodyfat and use the extra protein im eating now to gain some muscle, which should put my weight up and bodyfat down. Fingers crossed!