Anabolic Diet Not Working, Getting Fatter

No i was not gaining weight on the previous diet i was hovering +/- 1kg depending what i ate.
here is a pic of me before starting the diet. So I am by no means a beginner nor advanced but i do know my body and how to train and diet.

Personally I’d keep bulking.

[quote]LiquidMercury wrote:
Personally I’d keep bulking. [/quote]

OK…
I didnt ask if i should cut or bulk, again i am eating maintenance calories atm, but am putting on fat.

[quote]ffig wrote:

OK…
I didnt ask if i should cut or bulk, again i am eating maintenance calories atm, but am putting on fat.[/quote]

eating at maintenance
gaining fat

mfw i read this

[quote]ffig wrote:

[quote]Davinci.v2 wrote:
You’re not at maintenance if you’re gaining weight/getting fatter.[/quote]

Even if this was true i still shouldn’t be putting on fat, thats the whole point of the anabolic diet adding lean tissue without significant adipose tissue. And in the grand scheme of things 3000 kcals is not alot[/quote]

News flash. What I said, IS true. The law of thermodynamics is pretty straight forward. That being said, I don’t respond well to higher fat diets. I’ve seen my best muscular gains as well as fat loss from high protein, med carb, med/low fat diets.

[quote]ffig wrote:

[quote]ffig wrote:

[quote]Davinci.v2 wrote:
You’re not at maintenance if you’re gaining weight/getting fatter.[/quote]

Even if this was true i still shouldn’t be putting on fat, thats the whole point of the anabolic diet adding lean tissue without significant adipose tissue. And in the grand scheme of things 3000 kcals is not alot[/quote]

Dude you the Anabolic Diet helps to add lean tissue with minimal fat gains, that being said, it’s not the end all be all of diets and makes you only put on muscle. If you follow the principals of the AD and are eating well above your surplus you’re still going to gain fat. Your body can only produce so much muscle in a week, if you’re eating well over even that limit you’re going to gain fat as well.[/quote]

Yes i understand. I said in the original post that i am not taking in any more calories than when i was on a ‘standard diet’[/quote]

Something has changed friend. If you’re putting on weight/fat now, your metabolism has either slowed down or you’re miscalculating something.

[quote]ffig wrote:

OK…
I didnt ask if i should cut or bulk, again i am eating maintenance calories atm, but am putting on fat.[/quote]

Ok…

You’re not fucking eating at maintenance. What do you not understand about that? Your going by some arbitrary formula which is very generalized to get your maintenance calories, which is obviously wrong. Guess what, you’re gaining weight which means, yup you guessed it, you’re not eating at maintenance, you’re eating in a caloric surplus.

Drop the calories 500 or so a day.

Hey just to throw this out there. I’m not trashing the anabolic diet but for me it didn’t end well. Eating super low carb for an extended period of time gave me a chemical imbalance. I started to get higher and higher anxiety every week after a few months even with the weekend carbup. I was getting paranoid at the end and was on the verge of panic attacks. This was after 6 months.

This is odd because i a stock trader and can normally handle stress very well. I was going to go on some kind of meds. Instead I dropped the diet after I finally started to figure it out and I then started to improve. A little better each week just as I got a little worse each week I was on it. Now I’m back to normal.

My brain no likey super low carb diets like that. I’m just throwing this out there for anyone who is going through anything like what i went through.

If you want to improve gastroc distress, cholesterol etc, then eat less not more. Why not eat like 2000 cals a day with 100 to 150 grams of carbs, lots of veggies and fruit etc for a while. You can even cut the calories lower. Lose some fat and give your system a break. Do some cardio, take fish oil, and olive oil as well and bye bye cholsterol.

[quote]ffig wrote:

[quote]beaul wrote:
what do your weekends look like? Are you using a 48 hour carb up? I found 48 hours too much. 24 hours was better for me. Might even need to back it down to just 14 hours, pretty much one regular day.

Are you having healthy shits every day? Maybe you are backed up and cause some bloat. I see a single serving of broccoli, maybe try upping your fiber. Flax meal in shakes is a good way.

How much weight was gained for those 2 inches? That is a substantial amount of gain for only 5 weeks. [/quote]

Yes you are correct… i have never gained this much fat. I dont blame the diet i am doing something woring i am just trying to figure it out.

1. Carbs loads are 1 day long 80% good 20% shit food
  2. I supplement with psyllium husks for fiber
  3. weight gained was around 2kg this was measure on fridays before the carb load, so i should be depleted.

From reading posts etc i was under the assumption that i was actually under eating, many citations saying 18 x bw etc and to gain 20-25 x bw and i am eating no where near this but putting on considerable fat.

As far as hidden carbs i dont think i have any am sticking to the 30g a day mark. i count the carbs in the cream, eggs and whey etc so that is not an issue…
Maybe I am one of those people who doesnt respond to higher fat which is a shame as my strength is good.

I will try lowering the cals by 500 this next 7 days to see what happens, im not giving up yet.

Any other suggestions.[/quote]

So you are gaining strength, and gained only 4.4 lbs of weight but put 2 inches on your waist? Craziness for sure.

Were you measuring your waist at the same time weekly? And did it all occur at once or was it pretty even. 1/2 inch/week?

You obviously aren’t maintaining though as others have said. 4.4 lbs is a gain. So maybe just back off the calories just a little bit to see if it evens out.

Yeah the only smart thing to do would be cut the cals back. There could be some credibility to particular fatty acids increasing fat storage enzymes, but IMHO a surplus must be to blame since you’ve gained it so fast. The easiest place to cut them back would be the cream in your shakes, that way food volume would still be roughly the same.

Thanks for your replies, i will look at the cals again and drop as suggested, see where i am in 7-10 days

Hey man, since the AD isn’t going so well for you (as it also hasn’t for some of us), might I suggest tweaking your former diet? Odds are the answer to your health problems isn’t switching up macronutrient ratios, but rather making better food choices. As others have said, the AD isn’t some magic way to eat crap and hit your health and physique goals.

I think ill chip in…As i do NOT follow the simple “Calorie” theory!!

If calories were the absolute factor, then injecting test and other hormones would therefor
be irrelevant and not product Significant gains…and when people say “i could eat anything when i was young and now when i look at food it makes me fat”
HORMONES are the key factor in All things to do with our body! and yes food has a major impact of Hormones so there for you must eat to maximize your own hormonal system…but wait!!! if you gut health is crap and you have LOW HCL (i GUARANTEE that you do) and you are eating foods that cause your body to have an immune/inflamation response…you are going to have a HELL of a time with any time of body composition factors…

I reccomend having a “biosignature” done as this will help to dictate which hormonal systems you need to accomodate for and also will work with gut health/repair and also balance your ratios accordingly