T Nation

Anabolic Diet Low Carb Thread

I already started the Anabolic Diet Carb-up thread and someone asked what I do on the low carb days. Steely D has the original epic Anabolic Diet thread but I thought I could make my own contributions here since I love to cook.

Anabolic Diet Carb-up Thread: http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/diet_performance_nutrition_supplements/anabolic_diet_carbup_thread?id=5666993&pageNo=0

Steely D's Thread: http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/diet_performance_nutrition_supplements/la_cucina_anabolica_italiana

I'll have a few old pics to get things started and then I'll post things as I cook them.

Some things I post will be low carb treats and some will be just meat and veggies. Let's get it started with a treat.

Can you believe I accomplished this by using a Paula Deen recipe? Really though, she has all the makings of a low carb anabolic diet. Plenty of butter, mayo, bacon, cheese, and sour cream. Mmmmm.... but I digress. I made low carb peanut butter cookies. Here is the breakdown:

1 cup natural peanut butter
1 cup splenda
1 egg
1 tsp pure vanilla extract

Mix it up, portion out into 16 cookies (I smashed them with a fork and sprinkled on more splenda), and bake for 12 minutes at 350 degrees. They came out a little more crumbly (is that a word?) but I aim to improve upon the original recipe (or crispy?). If portioned into 16 cookies, you can treat it the same way as you would a tablespoon of peanut butter in your diet.*

*Powdered splenda is mixed with maltodextrin (a corn carbohydrate) as a binder. As such, it DOES have some carbs. Keep this in mind if you are on a zero carb diet. One or two cookies a day should be fine.

If you pretend that the splenda has no calories or carbs, here are the nutrition facts per cookie.

Calories: 95
Protein: 4
Fat: 8
Carbs: 3
Fiber: 1

The Best Pulled Pork Ever

It's summertime and for many people that = BBQ time! I pieced this recipe together from different techniques form Food Network stars like Alton Brown and Bobby Flay to create what I consider to be the best (indoor) pulled pork ever! (This recipe also happens to be low carb and mostly Paleo)

Zachâ??s Boston Butt
Brine- for 6-8lbs of meat
· ¼ cup liquid smoke
· 2 cups apple cider vinegar
· 1/8 cup stevia
· 2 tablespoon cayenne pepper
· 2 tablespoon hot pepper sauce, or crushed red pepper
· 12 ounces pickling salt (by weight), or use kosher salt
· 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
· 2 quarts very hot water
· Ice, enough to cover meat

Rub
1 tablespoon Smoked paprika
1 tablespoon Onion powder
1 teaspoon Ancho chili powder
1 teaspoon Chipotle chili powder
1 teaspoon Garlic powder
1 teaspoon Coriander seed
1 teaspoon Cumin seed

North Carolina BBQ Sauce
· 1 cup white vinegar
· 1 cup cider vinegar
· 1 packet of stevia
· 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
· 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce or crushed red pepper
· 1 teaspoon kosher salt
· 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper

Cole Slaw
*I love to mix this with the pulled pork!
2 bags coleslaw mix
1 cup mayonnaise
apple cider vinegar, stevia, salt and pepper, to taste

1. Mix all brine ingredients except ice in a cooler, add boston butt and then cover with ice. Leave overnight (24 hours is better) flipping meat halfway through.
  2. Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Remove meat from brine and pat dry. Grind any whole seeds in a food processor or blender, then add powdered spices. Apply dry rub to meat generously.
  3. Place meat in a roasting pan, or whatever, cover in foil, and roast until meat pulls apart with a fork, about 8-12 hours. Let meat rest 10 minutes then â??Pullâ?? meat using 2 forks.
  4. For the coleslaw simply mix all ingredients and let sit in refrigerator (itâ??s better overnight, can be made when brine is made). For â??BBQ sauceâ?? which is really just flavored vinegar, mix all ingredients thoroughly. Everything is low carb!

When it comes to trying to eat healthy, people usually have an excuse.

1. "Not enough time"
  2. "Too expensive"
  3. "Life is too short to deprive myself"

I have answers for that:

1. "Make time to do it all at once and it will save you time all week (topic of this blog)"
  2. "It's better to pay for healthier food now than to pay your doctor later"
  3. "Your life will even shorter if you are not healthy"

I like to set aside a few hours on the weekend to shop, cook, and prep all of my meals for the entire next week. Here are a few examples from such a food prep day.

Here I start with 10lbs of extra lean ground beef. This makes 20 half pound patties. After these are cooked they average out to be 6oz of cooked beef, which perfectly fits one meal.

Since my wife and I only eat one of these each, per day, we get 10 days out of this. I usually bag and freeze half while we are eating on the other half. I used 4 different seasonings on this batch to have some variety. The Weber seasonings are all excellent and the Gunpowder has a built-in smoke flavor.

Here I have 10lbs of ground turkey and 5lbs of lean beef in the digital pressure cooker. I usually season the ground turkey with a homeade taco seasoning. I don't have a set recipe but I always include chili powder, cumin, cayenne, and oregano. The lean beef has the Weber Steak and Chop seasoning on it. If this seems like a lot of food, it is. I will be able to get 10-14 days out of all of this food. Good thing we have a deep freezer.

Below is a bunch of chicken (Weber Kick'n Chicken), broccoli (Mrs. Dash Onion and Herb), and kimchee (Asian sauerkraut). Kimchee (and all fermented foods) are good for digestion. I add almonds to these later for some healthy fats. I weigh these all out into Tupperware and they're good to go.

Last but not least, I weigh my protein shakes into sandwich bags. Each shake has 1/4 tsp kosher salt and 5g creatine as well. I like to keep sodium high in my diet. It keeps energy levels and strength up. Creatine also helps maintain strength and muscle mass while dieting.

This is something I did 2 years ago:

I love ice cream. I always have and always will. However, I also like being healthy and not fat. Due to this paradox, I have had to come up with some creative ways to incorporate ice cream into my healthy way of eating. I have 3 ways that I eat ice cream throughout the week. Maybe one or all of these ways can also help you achieve your goals.

The first way I use ice cream in my diet is DAILY. That's right! I am currently doing a variation of the Anabolic Diet which is high protein, high fat, and low carb. Six days per week I am currently consuming around 3000kcal, 300g Protein, 200g Fat, 30 or less net grams of carbs (net carbs is Total Carbs minus Fiber). A large portion of my calories is my Anabolic Diet Super Shake. The ingredients are listed here:

1.5 cups of Organic Whole Milk
12 Medium Eggs
4 scoops of Whey Protein Isolate
3 Tbsp of Macadamia Nut Oil
2 Tbsp of Olive Oil
Salt and 10g Creatine Monohydrate
*I will also take 10g of Fish Oil and 2600mg of Evening Primrose Oil

As you can see, tons of protein and healthy fats. Where does the ice cream come in? I pour half (or all) of this mixture into my ice cream mixer! It comes out almost exactly like a chocolate Frosty from Wendy's!

*For those interested, the rest of my daily calories come from a low carb "taco salad" composed of the following:
10oz cooked 73/27 Ground Beef
2 cups of Spinach
4 Tbsp of sugar free Salsa
1/4 cups of peppers, mushrooms, and onions

I may split the shake/ice cream into 2-4 servings and the taco salad into 1 or 2 servings.

Simply mix 8oz of unsweetened almond milk to every scoop of protein powder (maybe a pinch a salt) and throw in the ice cream maker! For one scoop and 8oz it comes out to 155kcal, 30g Protein, 2.5g Fat, and 1.5 net carbs! Looks something like this:

This is how it freezes up:

Six days per week I follow the above low-carb diet. However, on Saturdays I try to get as many carbs as possible while keep protein moderate and fat low. I will eat Blue Bell low-fat frozen yogurt and top it with a low-fat sugary cereal like Fruity Pebbles or some bananas.

This is my plan for daily ice cream consumption while still reaching my fitness goals. Hopefully you can pick something out that can help you reach yours.

Dude you are the chef boyardi of meatheads :slight_smile: Good stuff keep it comming Im gonna try those peanut butter cookies this week..

London Broil getting ready for the marinade. I marinated it 24 hours in Worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke, Sriracha, Italina Seasoning, garlic, and EVOO.

These are 4.5-5lbs each!

I cooked these to a perfect medium rare. I used an instant read thermometer and pulled them at 130 degrees. They'll coast up another few degrees to 135.

Then I ran this through my meat slicer.

Here is my plate. I had some of this on a carb up day and my wife will eat it the next week.

Steak plate. Ignore the sweet potatoes and baked beans...

This is my work meals prepped for the week. Each container has 5oz chicken breast, 5oz chicken thighs, 15g EVOO, and veggies.