T Nation

Anabolic Diet For Bulking

Hi everyone,

I recently used the AD on a 3 week cutting cycle with pleasing results. My question is how many people have used it for bulking whilst on AAS, and how successful was it?

An advantage for me is that low carbs keeps my bp down and stops any backpumps (I’ll be running 700 test prop EW + dbol).

I want to keeps gains as lean as possible (obviously) but I am concerned that the low carb days will not be making the most of my cycle in terms of gains.

Thanks for any input, I really appreciate it.

Dave

As I have wrote in the other thread i like AD and i have used it a lot for cutting.
However i never used when on AAS (neither for cut or bulk). My thought however is that low carb aren’t so good for bulking purpouse.

In my early training years I was on low carb diet and i get a lot of strenght but i soon hit a plateu, shifted to a moderate carb intake my strenght and gains had a huge increase.

I think that carb cycling is a better choise if you need to take carb moderate to avoid sides.

I have read conflicting evidence. In the Old days (60’s) most pro’s got lean from doing the AD and AAS. A guy called Dave Drapper did 2 years of AD straight and his pics are great. The main benefit of no carbs approach is simplicity and it plain tastes great. Also no need for extreme cardio, it went well with the 6 day a week routines of that time and PHA (old-school circuit training).

However most of them now suffer from heart problems. Oliva, Arnold, Franco, Drapper, Robinson, Padilla, all have suffered some extreme heart problems and some have had open heart surgery. Coincidence? I am not sure so You be the judge.

Newer methods lean more towards keeping the fat intake low and carbs hovering around 300g while maximizing the protein. Since there is no risk (because of AAS) from using protein as the main source of the body it has also worked. This one gives you more energy for intense workouts and cardio.

This IMO is one area that needs individual experimentation to find out what really works best for you. I could tell you my experience, but it is totally contrary to Cadav’s experience. Doing the AD was murder for me. Gave me incredible headaches that never went away, low energy, couldn’t lift any heavy weights and my joints felt like crap. Mind you I did the AD for 1 straight year never going over 50g a day. It does work for loosing fat, just not for muscle gain. I did not use it with AAS.

I would be worried about your cholesterol with the AD. But then again I am a pu$$y with respect to my health.

Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated.

Sawadeekrob: Would you be worried about cholesterol in general on the AD, or just whilst using AAS? Dr. Dipasquale has some good reasoning to why cholesterol shouldn’t be a problem as a natural, but AAS I suppose is a different story. One advantage I have is that it is a short cycle, which is better for avoiding a dodgy lipid profile.

Cadev: I like your suggestion of carb cycling. I may try to do this in a way close to the AD which allows me to stay fat adapted, such as a mid week carbup etc as per the AD “experimentation” guidelines.

[quote]Dave_ wrote:
Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated.

Sawadeekrob: Would you be worried about cholesterol in general on the AD, or just whilst using AAS? Dr. Dipasquale has some good reasoning to why cholesterol shouldn’t be a problem as a natural, but AAS I suppose is a different story. One advantage I have is that it is a short cycle, which is better for avoiding a dodgy lipid profile.

Cadev: I like your suggestion of carb cycling. I may try to do this in a way close to the AD which allows me to stay fat adapted, such as a mid week carbup etc as per the AD “experimentation” guidelines.[/quote]

Dave

Cholesterol is a substance that nutritionist still don’t understand. It is manufactured in the body and also consumed therefore it maintains a weird balance in the body. Moreover the changes in lipid profiles are affected tremendously while on AAS and no one really knows the long-term effects of this on the body.

The biggest problem with AAS is the damage to the cardiovascular system, that is why doing cardio is a must while on cycle. Also you must consider that you will not be doing only 1 cycle and stop forever. I have never seen one person do this (however you COULD be the exception).

I personally favor a more balanced approach a la carb cycling, but I understand that some people are carb tolerant and others are fat tolerant. However even if you can tolerate all the fat possible I would still restrict it whyle on cycle + PCT.

On a side note

The old time style of bulking up and cutting was done primarily with high protein, high fat and fluctuating carbs. They good strong, bigh and cut, however most of them now suffer serious cardiovascular diseases.

I am not saying that the AD is wrong, I have used it for cutting with great sucess and would assume that if you do a bulker with AAS and the AD it would yield minimum fat gains…however I am in this for the long-term and AAS plus high fat diet is a recipe IMO for disaster later in life.

[quote]sawadeekrob wrote:
Cholesterol is a substance that nutritionist still don’t understand. It is manufactured in the body and also consumed therefore it maintains a weird balance in the body. Moreover the changes in lipid profiles are affected tremendously while on AAS and no one really knows the long-term effects of this on the body. The biggest problem with AAS is the damage to the cardiovascular system, that is why doing cardio is a must while on cycle. Also you must consider that you will not be doing only 1 cycle and stop forever. I have never seen one person do this (however you COULD be the exception).

I personally favor a more balanced approach a la carb cycling, but I understand that some people are carb tolerant and others are fat tolerant. However even if you can tolerate all the fat possible I would still restrict it whyle on cycle + PCT.

[/quote]

I won’t be the exception I’m afraid, this is my third!

I used the AD for cutting on my last cycle, but as I didn’t get bloodwork I can’t comment on the cholesterol issues.

I think my plan of action will be to stay on the AD, but ensure a good 50% of my fats are polys (30% is standard on the AD). Whilst cholesterol is a concern, my bp is a another that I know is effected by AAS + high carbs.

Of course I will need to do a lot more reading on the physiology of an AD’er, as they claim it is very different to your average “carb burner”.

Thanks for your input sawadeekrob, you’ve definitely given me some issues to think about before I begin.

Cheers

[quote]sawadeekrob wrote:
Dave_ wrote:
Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated.

Sawadeekrob: Would you be worried about cholesterol in general on the AD, or just whilst using AAS? Dr. Dipasquale has some good reasoning to why cholesterol shouldn’t be a problem as a natural, but AAS I suppose is a different story. One advantage I have is that it is a short cycle, which is better for avoiding a dodgy lipid profile.

Cadev: I like your suggestion of carb cycling. I may try to do this in a way close to the AD which allows me to stay fat adapted, such as a mid week carbup etc as per the AD “experimentation” guidelines.

Dave

Cholesterol is a substance that nutritionist still don’t understand. It is manufactured in the body and also consumed therefore it maintains a weird balance in the body. Moreover the changes in lipid profiles are affected tremendously while on AAS and no one really knows the long-term effects of this on the body.

The biggest problem with AAS is the damage to the cardiovascular system, that is why doing cardio is a must while on cycle. Also you must consider that you will not be doing only 1 cycle and stop forever. I have never seen one person do this (however you COULD be the exception).

I personally favor a more balanced approach a la carb cycling, but I understand that some people are carb tolerant and others are fat tolerant. However even if you can tolerate all the fat possible I would still restrict it whyle on cycle + PCT.

[/quote]

I understand these doses can be hard on cardiovascular system while on cycle, how about when running TRT doses EW say 200mgs EW (of course more than my doc prescribes) ?