T Nation

Anabolic Diet - Blood Work

Okay, lemme just say a few things: I’m 15. I wrestle at my high school. I started training about november, after doing my first real sport, football. I ate crazy, did what they told me, whatever.

I weighed about 200 in december, when i didn’t make the first wrestling meet because of my weight. I was about 5’ 10", 195, pure fat. I lifted 100 pounds on bench, never squated in my life. I was the slowest one on the team, the fattest, the worst at technique/training.

So i changed. I had what Chris Shugart calls “The Phoenix Theory” (http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1846703) I totally changed. Started watching what i ate. I went a little too far, not eating enough, exercising two hours a day.

But i was getting better. I started reading T-Nation, learned a few things, fixed my diet, training, etc.

About March, I was down to about 165. The lowest i went was 157, until i realized i was hurting myself. I was pretty much eating 2000 calories a day, but working 2 and a half hours a day.

So i changed everything up. I heard about something called The Anabolic Diet, and i gave it a try. Since then, my body fat has dropped dramatically, and my strength is threw the roof. Instead of two days of carb ups, i do one.

I start friday at about 5 and do all day saturday of just carbs. And then during the week it’s protein and fat. I eat a lot of chicken, turkey, beef, etc.

I weigh about 167 right now, but i’m eating about 2500 calories a day. I’ll be getting meausured with calipers and everything in a few weeks, but until then, i don’t know my body fat %.

So my blood work, in a nutshell is: (normal in parenthesis)
Total Cholesterol: 208 (100-169)
Triglycerides: 35 (0-149)
HDL: 120 (40-59)
LDL: 81 (0-99)
Creatinine, serum: 0.89 (0.76 - 1.27)
Gucose, serum: 57 (65-99)

I don’t know what else to put, but my doctor said my blood count is good, i have a healthy kidney, liver is healthy, and excellent lipids.

Congratulations on the diet switch (and fat loss).

I’m not sure if you were asking a question or not though.

Are you taking your fish oil?

Are you using olive oil in your shakes?

Are you eating healthy nuts?

Any sugar-free Metamucil fiber?

yes, I’m taking fish oil. I take Carlsons Fish Oil (http://www.carlsonlabs.com/product_detail.phtml?prodid=10025836)

I Don’t take protein shakes because i get enough protein from all the meat i eat. I eat a lot of almonds/ cashews/ or whatever we have in the house. Sometimes peanuts.

I usually take either fiber one capsules or a psyllium husk, so my fiber is okay.

I was wondering, how are my creatinine levels?
And what does the triglyceride level mean? I know it means like the fat counts in my blood, but is mine okay?

Creatinine is a byproduct of muscle metabolism. It’s used to indicate how healthy your kidneys are. If the number was high, it would tell the doctor that your kidney function may be an issue.

Normal triglyceride levels depend on your age and sex. High levels give the doctors a better direction to follow for further tests. High levels may indicate a whole bunch of problems like your risk of heart-related disease and diabetes, etc.

This is off the top of my head so make sure you look up anything that really bothers you.

Your numbers look great. It matches your description of the physiological changes that took place.

For info on creatinine and triglycerides, go to wikipedia:

Thanks! That helped a lot!
One more question, though.

When i work out, i sweat profusely, and if i had a lot of fish oil the day before, then my sweat stinks like fish. is that bad?

[quote]j2r110 wrote:
Thanks! That helped a lot!
One more question, though.

When i work out, i sweat profusely, and if i had a lot of fish oil the day before, then my sweat stinks like fish. is that bad? [/quote]

Are you looking to date anytime soon?

Otherwise, don’t think twice about it.

haha okay
so it’s okay
thanks bro

I don’t know if the average numbers for a 15-year-old are supposed to look different from those of an adult, and I don’t know anything about creatinine, but (at least for an adult), all the other numbers look really fantastic. High-fat/low-carb (I know the AD has its carb-up, I’m just saying…) seems to be a very good method for achieving high HDL, low triglycerides and reasonably low blood blood sugar, but you even have low LDL… this is great. I get the impression that LDL particle size (larger is better) is more important than the actual LDL number, but anyone with high HDL and low triglycerides is sure to have large LDL, from what I gather.