Anabolic Diet 2.0

[quote]Zach Rounsaville wrote:
The first time you do the Anabolic Diet you are also supposed to wait 2 weeks to carb up. Since I have done it for long periods of time I can usually jump right back into a once weekly carb load.[/quote]

Okay, that makes sense. The only thing I read on the Anabolic Diet has been summations posted elsewhere. If there is an actual book or paid protocol, I have not purchased and read it.

[quote]JR249 wrote:

[quote]Zach Rounsaville wrote:
The first time you do the Anabolic Diet you are also supposed to wait 2 weeks to carb up. Since I have done it for long periods of time I can usually jump right back into a once weekly carb load.[/quote]

Okay, that makes sense. The only thing I read on the Anabolic Diet has been summations posted elsewhere. If there is an actual book or paid protocol, I have not purchased and read it.
[/quote]

It would be worth getting your hands on a copy of the book. Either “The Anabolic Diet,” “The Anabolic Solution.” or “The Metabolic Diet.” They are all iterations of the same diet written by Dr. D.

Wouldn’t hurt to pick up a copy of Rob Faigin’s book “Natural Hormone Enhancement” too.

Hi friends,

Im about to join the bandwagon once soccer season finishes off in about 8 weeks time. I have skimmed through the book and scrolled though the forum but I still have a few questions;

• on low carb days, Dr D says to go for about 30 grams of carbs and from my understanding you are meant to include the “incidental carbs” you take in. I would assume once you count the accidental carbs you will be up to about 30 grams already anyway, so in other words you try not to include any direct carb sources except from what you get from your vegetables? Or are you meant to make sure you get those 30 grams of carbs, ie: at the end of the day if you have only had 10 grams of carbs, before bed you would take in 20 grams of carbs to make up the difference?

• how do you guys find conditioning work with this diet? I like to hit the track for 300m repeats and hill sprints twice a week, (although after the season is over I might practice Jiu Jitsu twice a week). Will performance be less at a the end of the week? Should I try and keep my conditioning more towards the beginning of the week when I have more glycogen reserves?

• How do you feel by Friday? Hanging out for a carb?

Thanks in advanced.

Uncle Bird.

tweet

[quote]theBird wrote:
Hi friends,

Im about to join the bandwagon once soccer season finishes off in about 8 weeks time. I have skimmed through the book and scrolled though the forum but I still have a few questions;

• on low carb days, Dr D says to go for about 30 grams of carbs and from my understanding you are meant to include the “incidental carbs” you take in. I would assume once you count the accidental carbs you will be up to about 30 grams already anyway, so in other words you try not to include any direct carb sources except from what you get from your vegetables? Or are you meant to make sure you get those 30 grams of carbs, ie: at the end of the day if you have only had 10 grams of carbs, before bed you would take in 20 grams of carbs to make up the difference?

• how do you guys find conditioning work with this diet? I like to hit the track for 300m repeats and hill sprints twice a week, (although after the season is over I might practice Jiu Jitsu twice a week). Will performance be less at a the end of the week? Should I try and keep my conditioning more towards the beginning of the week when I have more glycogen reserves?

Thanks in advanced.

Uncle Bird.

tweet[/quote]

There are different thoughts on what carbohydrates to count. Some people like to count fiber and others subtract fiber from the total amount. Some people like to differentiate between types of fiber (soluble, insoluble) that they should count or subtract. I have found that I can subtract all fiber from the total carbohydrate amount without issues. Now keep in mind I wasn’t able to do this till I was fat adapted which could take weeks to several months to become truly fat adapted. Also theoretically you go “deeper” into a fat adaptation the longer you utilize a cyclical ketogenic diet.

Also, the ability to perform and adapt to conditioning endeavors is less impeded, normal or above normal the longer you live out this lifestyle. I’ve been able to train for kickboxing matches at high levels up to 30 plus hours of training per week with no issues.

[quote]RyuuBane wrote:
Also, the ability to perform and adapt to conditioning endeavors is less impeded, normal or above normal the longer you live out this lifestyle. I’ve been able to train for kickboxing matches at high levels up to 30 plus hours of training per week with no issues.[/quote]

Just out of curiosity, why do you do this long-term as a lifestyle? Do you find yourself abnormally carb sensitive? It seems to me that it would be difficult to do long-term, as I assumed most people added in a manageable amount of complex carbs after attaining a goal body weight or body fat set point.

[quote]JR249 wrote:

[quote]RyuuBane wrote:
Also, the ability to perform and adapt to conditioning endeavors is less impeded, normal or above normal the longer you live out this lifestyle. I’ve been able to train for kickboxing matches at high levels up to 30 plus hours of training per week with no issues.[/quote]

Just out of curiosity, why do you do this long-term as a lifestyle? Do you find yourself abnormally carb sensitive? It seems to me that it would be difficult to do long-term, as I assumed most people added in a manageable amount of complex carbs after attaining a goal body weight or body fat set point.[/quote]

Quite simply, I look, feel, perform and am at my healthiest with this lifestyle. I make the best strength gains, fat loss, body recomp results and the least amount of skin irritation and allergy issues with this lifestyle. I have highly sensitive skin and horrible allergies and these issues are almost nonexistent. I also have the best blood pressure, resting heart rate, etc. with this lifestyle.

[quote]RyuuBane wrote:
Quite simply, I look, feel, perform and am at my healthiest with this lifestyle. I make the best strength gains, fat loss, body recomp results and the least amount of skin irritation and allergy issues with this lifestyle. I have highly sensitive skin and horrible allergies and these issues are almost nonexistent. I also have the best blood pressure, resting heart rate, etc. with this lifestyle.[/quote]

Okay, fair enough. I’m impressed that major gains are possible, since all of the convention wisdom suggests that one needs a certain amount of carbs to increase gains due to the anabolic nature of insulin -i.e., two days per week of carb load increases are not sufficient to achieve maximal muscular hypertrophy. Have you tried increasing carbs with Indigo 3-G supplementation?

[quote]JR249 wrote:

[quote]RyuuBane wrote:
Quite simply, I look, feel, perform and am at my healthiest with this lifestyle. I make the best strength gains, fat loss, body recomp results and the least amount of skin irritation and allergy issues with this lifestyle. I have highly sensitive skin and horrible allergies and these issues are almost nonexistent. I also have the best blood pressure, resting heart rate, etc. with this lifestyle.[/quote]

Okay, fair enough. I’m impressed that major gains are possible, since all of the convention wisdom suggests that one needs a certain amount of carbs to increase gains due to the anabolic nature of insulin -i.e., two days per week of carb load increases are not sufficient to achieve maximal muscular hypertrophy. Have you tried increasing carbs with Indigo 3-G supplementation?
[/quote]

I’ve tried every carbohydrate protocol under the sun and no I haven’t used Indigo 3-g.

[quote]theBird wrote

tweet[/quote]

1.) It has always been my understanding from reading the old forums with DH and MODOK that fiber is not counted towards the 30g limit b/c it does not correlate with an insulin spike. Rob Faigin in Natural Hormone Enhancement (very similar in concept to AD) does not count fiber towards daily “net” carbs.

2.) I have never experienced any fatigue on AD. Even with HIT seasons and heavy lifting sessions at the end of the week. I feel that my body type is geared to a low carbohydrate diet.

3.) Like stated above I don’t feel any extra fatigue on Fridays.

JK29

Bonus Info: I’ve actually found that my energy levels go up in general when on AD or diets like it (i.e. NHE Eating Plan).

[quote]JR249 wrote:
[/quote]

As an additional thought; It would be worth reading thought this thread

if you’re interested in the eating style. There is a wealth of information on that thread.

Here’s a sandwich I made tonight. It has 1 net carb! The bread was made with egg, flax, baking powder, and butter.

Mmmmmm!!

Here is the nutritional info:

[quote]JK29 wrote:
The bread was made with egg, flax, baking powder, and butter.
[/quote]

How much of each and how do you make it?

[quote]Diddy Ryder wrote:

[quote]JK29 wrote:
[/quote]

How much of each and how do you make it? [/quote]

I mixed thoroughly

2 tbs of butter (melted)
1/4cup of flax seed
1 egg
1/2 tbsp of baking powder

Then stuck in the microwave for 1:00.

Nothing to it.

[quote]JK29 wrote:

[quote]Diddy Ryder wrote:

[quote]JK29 wrote:
[/quote]

How much of each and how do you make it? [/quote]

I mixed thoroughly

2 tbs of butter (melted)
1/4cup of flax seed
1 egg
1/2 tbsp of baking powder

Then stuck in the microwave for 1:00.

Nothing to it.

[/quote]

Cheers :slight_smile:

That’s AWESOME! We need more food Pics!

[quote]RyuuBane wrote:
That’s AWESOME! We need more food Pics![/quote]

Here are some snacks I made tonight!

Bacon/Egg/Cheese

Bake on 350 for 24min

JK29

Edit: Sorry It’s upside-down… Yall get the picture.

Here is a breakfast favorite of mine that is quite fabulous for breakfast crepes (adjust ingredients to fit your specific macros):
2 omega-3 eggs
5-6 drops of liquid Stevia or 1 tsp powdered
1-2 Tablespoons of butter or coconut oil, also grease the pan with either butter or non-stick cooking spray
a pinch of salt (about 1/4 tsp)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup coconut milk or unsweetened almond milk
2 Tablespoons coconut or garbanzo/fava bean flour
2 TBSP ground flax seed

Filling:
1/2 cup of unsweetened, nonfat Greek yogurt
1/8 cup of walnuts or pecans
1-2 TBSP of raw cacao nibs, or 1 TBSP of coco powder, or add chocolate Metabolic Drive to your liking, if higher protein content is desired
Cinnamon to taste

Melt 2 Tablespoons of butter first, then you can whisk the melted butter, eggs, Stevia, vanilla, salt and coconut milk together. Add in the coconut flour and mix well.

Grease a frying pan and set your heat to medium high. Cook each side for app. 2-2.5 minutes until the bottom is light brown. Use a spatula to flip in one quick motion. O
After flipping

In a separate pan, let the blueberry sauce cook. I use the following:
1/2-1 cup fresh blueberries
1/2 teaspoon of coconut or garbanzo bean/fava flour

Heat the blueberries in a saucepan ver medium heat. After about 5 minutes they will soften and release their natural juices. Once the blueberries are all soft, add in the flour and a hint of water, if needed. You can pour the blueberry sauce over the top of the crepes.

I usually serve this with a side of venison/pork sausage or meat of your choice.

Nice, You’re a much better chef than me! That looks tasty!

Hey newbie here, Was wondering if anyone could help me out on where to get ahold of this book
Thanks