Anabolic Diet 2.0

What happened to this thread!? Let’s bump it up! I’m starting the AD induction phase tomorrow and would like a thread like this to keep me motivated. Thanks!

When counting carbs do you subtract net carbs? If so, do you add more calories to replace them?

[quote]xXSeraphimXx wrote:
When counting carbs do you subtract net carbs? If so, do you add more calories to replace them?[/quote]

I’m assuming you mean subtract fiber carbs. Net carbs is the term usually referring to carbs minus fiber

I suggest counting EVERYTHING for 10 day induction phase, and then after that you can subtract out the fiber carbs. This is really more to become more “carb aware” than anything, but also to really ensure you are below 30g during the induction phase which is critical to making the metabolic shift.

So for example, if a can of green beans has 12g of carbs, but 8g of them are fiber, count it as 12 during the induction phase, but only 4 after that.

Most people dont realize how low 30g is… It basically means not eating ANY on purpose, and whatever trace carbs are in nuts/veggies/protein powders. Even eggs have trace carbs in them. They are sneaky like that.

I like to get most of my fats from meats, oils, and eggs. This way it really reduces the amount of trace carbs you get. I don’t usually use nuts because they are too easy to overeat and they have higher amounts of polyunsaturated fats. Also, I don’t count the carbs in my veggies or eggs. Eggs have (what I consider to be) a negligible amount of carbs. I don’t count the veggie carbs because I find that this can discourage people from eating lots of veggies. Most of my veggies year-round are broccoli, kale, cauliflower, and bell peppers. During the summer I will add in more summer squash, zucchini, tomatoes and cucumbers. During the winter I’ll add more winter squashes and rutabaga.

[quote]Zach Rounsaville wrote:
I like to get most of my fats from meats, oils, and eggs. This way it really reduces the amount of trace carbs you get. I don’t usually use nuts because they are too easy to overeat and they have higher amounts of polyunsaturated fats. Also, I don’t count the carbs in my veggies or eggs. Eggs have (what I consider to be) a negligible amount of carbs. I don’t count the veggie carbs because I find that this can discourage people from eating lots of veggies. Most of my veggies year-round are broccoli, kale, cauliflower, and bell peppers. During the summer I will add in more summer squash, zucchini, tomatoes and cucumbers. During the winter I’ll add more winter squashes and rutabaga.[/quote]

This is a great way to “live” on the diet. On the induction phase I like to have people be a bit more anal so they can really get a handle on just how many carbs are in certain things and how easy it can be to hit 30g without realizing it.

Thats a great veggie list and looks almost identical to mine most days. I’m also a huge fan of green beans.

[quote]Lonnie123 wrote:

I like to get most of my fats from meats, oils, and eggs. This way it really reduces the amount of trace carbs you get. I don’t usually use nuts because they are too easy to overeat and they have higher amounts of polyunsaturated fats. Also, I don’t count the carbs in my veggies or eggs. Eggs have (what I consider to be) a negligible amount of carbs. I don’t count the veggie carbs because I find that this can discourage people from eating lots of veggies. Most of my veggies year-round are broccoli, kale, cauliflower, and bell peppers. During the summer I will add in more summer squash, zucchini, tomatoes and cucumbers. During the winter I’ll add more winter squashes and rutabaga.[/quote]

This is a great way to “live” on the diet. On the induction phase I like to have people be a bit more anal so they can really get a handle on just how many carbs are in certain things and how easy it can be to hit 30g without realizing it.

That’s a great veggie list and looks almost identical to mine most days. I’m also a huge fan of green beans.[/quote]

I agree with that. I just wanted to put out there how I do the diet “mostly” year round. I do tend to be a little more loose in October (my birthday, my wife’s birthday, our anniversary, and vacation), November (Thanksgiving), and December (Christmas). I realize that I could just plan my carb-ups on these holidays but I find that it is more stressful to “stress” about being strict during these months than it is to loosen up the diet. I usually just increase my heavy training to help better utilize the extra carbs/calories. Also, I am usually coming off of a cutting phase during this time so the “rebound” effect minimizes dietary damage.

Correct me if I’m wrong…
Maintence phase is 4 weeks at 18 cals per pound of bodyweight, then cutting phase is for however long you want at 12 cals per bodyweight?

[quote]chobbs wrote:
Correct me if I’m wrong…
Maintence phase is 4 weeks at 18 cals per pound of bodyweight, then cutting phase is for however long you want at 12 cals per bodyweight?[/quote]

I have always found that the maintenance calculations are too high for me personally. I definitely gain weight at 18kcal/pound. However, the 12kcal per pound for cutting is right on the money for me. It’s highly individual. I would maybe use 18kcal/pound for the 2 week adaptation, 15kcal/pound for maintenance, and 12kcal/pound or less for cutting. If I were gaining then I’d gradually work back up to the 15ckal and possibly 18kcal/pound.

Anyone on the diet eat pemmican?

[quote]xXSeraphimXx wrote:
Anyone on the diet eat pemmican?[/quote]

I’ll eat the lowest carb/gluten-free jerky I can find when I’m on road trips but I’ve never had traditional pemmican where it’s meat and fat mixed together.

Awesome !!! I started the AD last week (monday) and I just found this thread. I’m looking forward to Saturday night for the “fun” part of the carb-up, as per Dr Poteet’s recommendations. I thought I blew it tonight at the restaurant. I checked the restaurant’s nutritional info (via their website) and was shocked to see the carb content of their salmon was so high, but the fine print said that the info included a salad with SUNDRIED TOMATO BALSAMIC DRESSING (which I did not have, I ordered a Caesar salad, no croutons)…Anyhow, cool thread.

Okay I don’t want to read through every post so I’m gonna ask, where do I get the book or whatever for the Anabolic Diet 2.0? I remember back in the 90’s I was on the AD but my will power was pretty weak so I didn’t stick to it. I googled it and only came up with The Anabolic Diet, nothing with 2.0 to it.

[quote]Bullyson wrote:
Okay I don’t want to read through every post so I’m gonna ask, where do I get the book or whatever for the Anabolic Diet 2.0? I remember back in the 90’s I was on the AD but my will power was pretty weak so I didn’t stick to it. I googled it and only came up with The Anabolic Diet, nothing with 2.0 to it.[/quote]

If I’m not mistaken, the 2.0 refers to the thread, not the book. There is a huge Anabolic Diet thread on T-Nation and this thread is the continuation of that.

@Zach Rounsaville if my total carbs for the day are fairly low (<40) can I throw in some berries postworkout (13-19 grams of carbs)?

[quote]chobbs wrote:
@Zach Rounsaville if my total carbs for the day are fairly low (<40) can I throw in some berries postworkout (13-19 grams of carbs)?[/quote]

Yes, you can do that. One cup of strawberries is only 10 net carbs. Sometimes I’ll even throw in around 20g waxy maize or something similar post-workout. Lately I’ve been having 1/2 cup gluten-free oats in my pre-workout shake. Starting next week I’ll replace that by having my carb allotment by “back-loading” sweet potatoes at night. There are many different ways to do it. You can change it up to see what works best or simply to see what you prefer. You might as well ENJOY the process whenever possible.

Thanks man, great thread!

[quote]Bullyson wrote:
Okay I don’t want to read through every post so I’m gonna ask, where do I get the book or whatever for the Anabolic Diet 2.0? I remember back in the 90’s I was on the AD but my will power was pretty weak so I didn’t stick to it. I googled it and only came up with The Anabolic Diet, nothing with 2.0 to it.[/quote]

If you want the lastest book, I believe it’s called the Anabolic Solution now. There’s a version for Powerlifters and one for Bodybuilders.

Not sure which is the newest but here is the 3rd edition.

http://www.metabolicdiet.com/books/as_bb.pdf

[quote]chobbs wrote:
@Zach Rounsaville if my total carbs for the day are fairly low (<40) can I throw in some berries postworkout (13-19 grams of carbs)?[/quote]

Yes, you can do that. One cup of strawberries is only 10 net carbs. Sometimes I’ll even throw in around 20g waxy maize or something similar post-workout. Lately I’ve been having 1/2 cup gluten-free oats in my pre-workout shake. Starting next week I’ll replace that by having my carb allotment by “back-loading” sweet potatoes at night. There are many different ways to do it. You can change it up to see what works best or simply to see what you prefer. You might as well ENJOY the process whenever possible. [/quote]

Im sorry for interupting the post, but I am new into this and there a lot of things that are unclear to me.

Im at 9-10 bf now and want to get to 6 perc bf. Im just about to finish my 12 day induction phase and not quite sure what to do next. I know that the whole idea after those 12 days is to do 2 days carb refeed. However,Im thinking that I might quicker achieve my goals if I do only 1 carb meal a week only, and when i get lean enough I can start doing 2 days of carb refeeds. What do u guys think?

Help much appreciated.

Im sorry for interupting the post, but I am new into this and there a lot of things that are unclear to me.

Im at 9-10 bf now and want to get to 6 perc bf. Im just about to finish my 12 day induction phase and not quite sure what to do next. I know that the whole idea after those 12 days is to do 2 days carb refeed. However,Im thinking that I might quicker achieve my goals if I do only 1 carb meal a week only, and when i get lean enough I can start doing 2 days of carb refeeds. What do u guys think?

Help much appreciated.