Anabolic Diet 2.0

As the weeks, months, and years wear on the carb ups tend to get “healthier”, and while I certainly dont mind indulging from time to time, most of my carb up sources tend to be good foods. Heres an example:

Super simple, its just a bag of veggie mix that has Buffalo sauce drizzled over top. Feel free to add chicken to it, but I like it just like this.

The corn/carrots/beans make it a TAD too non-fiber-carb heavy to use during the week (like 12g Active carbs in a half cup), where I opt for green beans alone or broccoli/cauli mix.

I eat this towards the end of the day when I want to feel FULL without eating 1000+ calories in one go, and I’ve already used some faster acting carbs to get a couple of insulin spikes in the bag.

Tortilla Pizza. This is a versatile one because you can really get creative and make whatever kind of pizza you want. Hawaiian, Chicken and Pesto, BBQ Chicken, etc…

120 cal Carb Balance tortilla (It has 12g of fiber! You can use a regular one but this is what I bought today)

50 calorie cheese stick (its a low fat mozzarella)

~35 cals worth of Pepperoni

At only 200 calories a pop you can pretty much eat these by the half dozen. Its kinda fun to set the toaster oven to 350, and make-and-eat these things for 30-40 minutes straight (they take 10 minutes to cook). Variations can be to make it on an English muffin, a bagel, or just some toast if you want.

This was really all I wanted today, so I will be making 8 of them as my main meals. I will also have some rice, oatmeal, and I’m deciding on what I want for a dessert later.

Here are some throw backs for yall:

(Fats made simple by John M)

(Eat Like a Man)

[quote]Lonnie123 wrote:
Tortilla Pizza. This is a versatile one because you can really get creative and make whatever kind of pizza you want. Hawaiian, Chicken and Pesto, BBQ Chicken, etc…

120 cal Carb Balance tortilla (It has 12g of fiber! You can use a regular one but this is what I bought today)

At only 200 calories a pop you can pretty much eat these by the half dozen. Its kinda fun to set the toaster oven to 350, and make-and-eat these things for 30-40 minutes straight (they take 10 minutes to cook). Variations can be to make it on an English muffin, a bagel, or just some toast if you want.

This was really all I wanted today, so I will be making 8 of them as my main meals. I will also have some rice, oatmeal, and I’m deciding on what I want for a dessert later.[/quote]

Is it worth discussing why this basically goes beyond bastardizing the AD into full-on defeating the purpose of the AD? The whole point of the carb up is to manipulate insulin…you’re promoting eating a bunch of high-fiber sh** with a low GI level.

Carbing up with “low carb” tortillas and corn like now advocated in this thread is a fantastic way to stay like 170lbs at 5’10". There’s nothing inherently wrong with being that small, but it’s worth mentioning that anyone looking to put on size with the AD should actually follow the AD and take the carb up seriously. Earlier this year I spent a good couple of months spinning my wheels because I was doing low carb shit during the ‘carb-up’–I was afraid of getting a case of ‘teh fatz.’

I’m not trying to bash Lonnie’s diet–I’m putting its effectiveness to the side. I’m just saying that it’s not the AD. I don’t understand why it’s in an AD thread, where all it will do is confuse people unfamiliar with the diet.

[quote]The3Commandments wrote:

[quote]Lonnie123 wrote:

This was really all I wanted today, so I will be making 8 of them as my main meals. I will also have some rice, oatmeal, and I’m deciding on what I want for a dessert later.[/quote]

Is it worth discussing why this basically goes beyond bastardizing the AD into full-on defeating the purpose of the AD? The whole point of the carb up is to manipulate insulin…you’re promoting eating a bunch of high-fiber sh** with a low GI level.

Carbing up with “low carb” tortillas and corn like now advocated in this thread is a fantastic way to stay like 170lbs at 5’10". There’s nothing inherently wrong with being that small, but it’s worth mentioning that anyone looking to put on size with the AD should actually follow the AD and take the carb up seriously. Earlier this year I spent a good couple of months spinning my wheels because I was doing low carb shit during the ‘carb-up’–I was afraid of getting a case of ‘teh fatz.’

I’m not trying to bash Lonnie’s diet–I’m putting its effectiveness to the side. I’m just saying that it’s not the AD. I don’t understand why it’s in an AD thread, where all it will do is confuse people unfamiliar with the diet. [/quote]

I understand and agree with the point your making. The idea of the game is to spike the living hell out of insulin.

However, make sure you notice Lonnie did mention getting in higher insulin spikes at the start of the day.

As far a carb choices go over the loading period… My optimal choices would be rice, sweet potatoes, and pasta.

In reality for me it ends up being Sushi, Mexican food, Italian food, Hamburgers, and Muffins!

JK

I started the AD about a week ago. I’m trying to decreas bf% and lose some weight. Currently 5’11 244 about 18%bf. my first week on I only did a high carb meal (carb nite ish) to start to measure my carb threshold and will add some carb meals until I reach that 2-3 lb/loss per week. I’m currently lifting 4-5days a week split 15-8 reps with some drop sets n super sets (heavy too) I added 2 hit days and 1 run day where I shoot for about 30min run usually about 3 miles maybe a little less. I also added finishers (sprints rows whatever) to my lift sessions .

I figure I gotta about 185lbs of beast on me n is really like to lean down…can maybe somebody suggest anything maybe caloric intake rec omedations I try to not go crazy on cals but not sure if the whole don’t worry about cals stuff is legit. My goal is to be about 215 at 10%bf …I feel like I’m quite a ways away… I’ll post my Friday weigh in results hope u guys r up to helping a noob to the forum but not lifting… Thanks in advance

Anyone else have to fend off endless questions about the AD? I’m constantly copping flak for eating cheese, cream and bulk red meat by my friends and workmates. They flat out refuse to listen to a word I say in regards to fats, and since I’m out of shape I can’t even show off the effects of an epic high fat diet

Surely someone has a strategy to deal with these people!!!

[quote]mizo21 wrote:
I started the AD about a week ago. I’m trying to decreas bf% and lose some weight. Currently 5’11 244 about 18%bf. my first week on I only did a high carb meal (carb nite ish) to start to measure my carb threshold and will add some carb meals until I reach that 2-3 lb/loss per week. I’m currently lifting 4-5days a week split 15-8 reps with some drop sets n super sets (heavy too) I added 2 hit days and 1 run day where I shoot for about 30min run usually about 3 miles maybe a little less. I also added finishers (sprints rows whatever) to my lift sessions .

I figure I gotta about 185lbs of beast on me n is really like to lean down…can maybe somebody suggest anything maybe caloric intake rec omedations I try to not go crazy on cals but not sure if the whole don’t worry about cals stuff is legit. My goal is to be about 215 at 10%bf …I feel like I’m quite a ways away… I’ll post my Friday weigh in results hope u guys r up to helping a noob to the forum but not lifting… Thanks in advance[/quote]

Calorie intake recommendations are ALWAYS just guidelines, so just find any calculator you like online and start there. Adjust as needed.

The recommendations in the book are to do the 12 day transition phase using roughly the same amount of calories you were already eating. I dont believe he recommends “dieting” right away. This will help with the transition, ensure you are getting enough fat to make the metabolic shift, and (as much as possible) help with the mental fog mental people can get.

If you want to make it stupid simple, start at body weight x 15-18, and then adjust as needed for your goals. Weight loss = decrease by 100-200 a day when results slow down, weight gain = add 100-200 a day.

SIMPLE, but not easy.

[quote]02Thief wrote:
Anyone else have to fend off endless questions about the AD? I’m constantly copping flak for eating cheese, cream and bulk red meat by my friends and workmates. They flat out refuse to listen to a word I say in regards to fats, and since I’m out of shape I can’t even show off the effects of an epic high fat diet

Surely someone has a strategy to deal with these people!!![/quote]

Ignore them, don’t talk about it with them, and in 6 months when you have the results… Do the same thing. NO ONE gives a shit about your diet. No one is actually interested in learning from you. No one is actually interested in talking deep science with you.

This took me years to realize… People are either just making small talk, or are actively trying to get you to suck so it makes their failures hurt less.

[quote]02Thief wrote:

What I’ve always done is not say that I’m on a “diet” or anything like that. When people ask me about the foods I’m eating, I just say “It’s the foods I like” and act puzzled–like “What a strange thing to ask.”

It’s funny what foods people react to, also. No one ever questions my eating a lot of meat, perhaps because I look like a weightlifter. But when I eat eggs or cottage cheese anytime that’s not morning, people I work with used to ask me about it all the time.

[quote]Lonnie123 wrote:

[quote]mizo21 wrote:

I figure I gotta about 185lbs of beast on me n is really like to lean down…can maybe somebody suggest anything maybe caloric intake rec omedations I try to not go crazy on cals but not sure if the whole don’t worry about cals stuff is legit. My goal is to be about 215 at 10%bf …I feel like I’m quite a ways away… I’ll post my Friday weigh in results hope u guys r up to helping a noob to the forum but not lifting… Thanks in advance[/quote]

Calorie intake recommendations are ALWAYS just guidelines, so just find any calculator you like online and start there. Adjust as needed.

The recommendations in the book are to do the 12 day transition phase using roughly the same amount of calories you were already eating. I dont believe he recommends “dieting” right away. This will help with the transition, ensure you are getting enough fat to make the metabolic shift, and (as much as possible) help with the mental fog mental people can get.

If you want to make it stupid simple, start at body weight x 15-18, and then adjust as needed for your goals. Weight loss = decrease by 100-200 a day when results slow down, weight gain = add 100-200 a day.

SIMPLE, but not easy. [/quote]

Listen to Lonnie! I think the best advice for starting AD is to not worry about calories and eat alot of fat. I’m talking 65% fat. Eat until you aren’t full. Don’t stress about calories in the beginning just focus on getting “fat adapted.”

[quote]Lonnie123 wrote:

[quote]02Thief wrote:

Ignore them, don’t talk about it with them, and in 6 months when you have the results… Do the same thing. NO ONE gives a shit about your diet. No one is actually interested in learning from you. No one is actually interested in talking deep science with you.

This took me years to realize… People are either just making small talk, or are actively trying to get you to suck so it makes their failures hurt less.[/quote]

Lonnie hit the nail on the head again! Just be stubborn. Don’t bring it up. The less you talk about it and the more they see you doing it, the faster they’ll just accept it as the way you eat. I’ve been eating like this for 2 years and all my fiends don’t bat an eyelash when I order a steak cooked medium rare with all my sides subbed out for a large salad with only greens and cheese no dressing.

If you want to really shut them up tell em you’re a diabetic.

JK29

Thanks for the support guys I think I’m gettIng what I need caloric ally my biggest concern is goin over not under. I don’t feel super full very easy carbs or no carbs but I’m basically eggs meat cheese veggies n heavy cream in my coffee occasional low carb tortilla … I try to eat when I’m hungry I’m just worried about not dropping bf … I’ve haven’t seen my abs since I was 20 hope I cAn make it happen at least get rid of some of this gut n luv habdles

Thanks gentlemen. Definitely got some good tips to fend off these naysayers.

Also, is it normal to be constantly hungry? I’ve eaten plenty today, but every two hours I’m searching for steak. Not even craving carbs, just more delicious, anabolic meat

An AD Thread? Great!
I love this diet. It helped me to get rid of my acne at age 17 without restraining me from eating burgers and pizza. How awesome is that?!
I am preparing to get back into weight training next month and have a question for you guys:
How would you eat during a 20 rep Squat routine? I mean the “Squats and 1 gallon of milk a day” routine.

The problem I have is the following:
1l of milk contains 48g carbs… x3,7 = 178g of sugar on a low carb day that is set for a max carb intake of 30g!
How would you guys deal with that? I haven’t been eating dairy for 2 years now and don’t plan on putting it into my diet again at all. Is there anything you would recommend except for:
drink more soy shakes and eat more eggs/meat?

[quote]Quiet Warrior wrote:
An AD Thread? Great!
I love this diet. It helped me to get rid of my acne at age 17 without restraining me from eating burgers and pizza. How awesome is that?!
I am preparing to get back into weight training next month and have a question for you guys:
How would you eat during a 20 rep Squat routine? I mean the “Squats and 1 gallon of milk a day” routine.

1l of milk contains 48g carbs… x3,7 = 178g of sugar on a low carb day that is set for a max carb intake of 30g!
How would you guys deal with that? I haven’t been eating dairy for 2 years now and don’t plan on putting it into my diet again at all. Is there anything you would recommend except for:
[/quote]
Cream+whey>milk

An AD Thread? Great!

[/quote]

Please don’t drink soy shakes! Soy increase estrogen which is obviously not the goal if you’re posting on Testosterone Nation forums. If you’ve given up dairy then you can use unsweetened coconut milk or almond milk plus whey/casein protein powder in your shakes. You can also blend in coconut, olive oil, or almond butter for more calories.

Weighed in today down 3lbs to 241 this is my second week. Going to add a second carb meal today n see how if it effects me. I will measure my bf% after 4weeks. Again thanks for the support. My numbers in the gym are good too I’m movin up On a lot of moves.

[quote]Zach Rounsaville wrote:
Please don’t drink soy shakes! Soy increase estrogen which is obviously not the goal if you’re posting on Testosterone Nation forums. If you’ve given up dairy then you can use unsweetened coconut milk or almond milk plus whey/casein protein powder in your shakes. You can also blend in coconut, olive oil, or almond butter for more calories.[/quote]
I think the entire “Soy is bad for your T lvls” thing is a bad joke. Done big research on that topic and it seems like one study is opposing the other. Some write it’s good for T lvls and prevents prostate cancer, others would obviously like to ban it form the food market. The biological value of the protein in my soy shakes is 124 by the way. I ll stay tuned and will tell you guys as soon as I grow man boobs :wink:
As mentioned before, I ve given up ALL kinds of dairy products, whey and casein included. I only consume Soy and egg shakes. Anyways, Almond and Peanut butter seem to be a great addition! Thanks for your advice bro, you helped me big time

Please don’t drink soy shakes! Soy increase estrogen which is obviously not the goal if you’re posting on Testosterone Nation forums. If you’ve given up dairy then you can use unsweetened coconut milk or almond milk plus whey/casein protein powder in your shakes. You can also blend in coconut, olive oil, or almond butter for more calories.[/quote]

I think the entire “Soy is bad for your T lvls” thing is a bad joke. Done big research on that topic and it seems like one study is opposing the other. Some write it’s good for T lvls and prevents prostate cancer, others would obviously like to ban it form the food market. The biological value of the protein in my soy shakes is 124 by the way. I ll stay tuned and will tell you guys as soon as I grow man boobs :wink:
As mentioned before, I ve given up ALL kinds of dairy products, whey and casein included. I only consume Soy and egg shakes. Anyways, Almond and Peanut butter seem to be a great addition! Thanks for your advice bro, you helped me big time[/quote]

TC once again bashes soy in his latest article. It’s not a complete protein because it is deficient in methionine. Soy protein isolate is usually only 70% protein whereas whey isolate is over 90%. Also, you could just use egg white protein powder or beef protein isolate if you want to avoid dairy. I follow the Paleo diet but I still use whey isolate (no lactose) along with ghee and grassfed cow cream. If I may ask, why do you avoid dairy?

TC once again bashes soy in his latest article. It’s not a complete protein because it is deficient in methionine. Soy protein isolate is usually only 70% protein whereas whey isolate is over 90%. Also, you could just use egg white protein powder or beef protein isolate if you want to avoid dairy. I follow the Paleo diet but I still use whey isolate (no lactose) along with ghee and grassfed cow cream. If I may ask, why do you avoid dairy?
[/quote]
It is obvious that TC dislikes Soy Protein. You brought up some interesting facts about soy, thanks for that! I did not know it lacked Methionin. Just checked the package of my Isolate protein powder and there it says 0,6g Methionin per 100g Soy Isolate. Cool, you never stop learning. FYI I consume a mix of egg and soy protein as well as lots and lots of meat, eggs and fish. Guess that makes up the lacking AS. I avoid all kinds of dairy because my skin is way too sensitive(yes I am ashamed of being a metrosexual whimp). It took me years to get rid of my complexion and dairy was a key factor. I found out what worked by trial and error, basically tested every dairy product for a 2 week time span under ketosis. Whey isolate as well as concentrate had a severe impact. To understand why please check out this article.

Dr. Logan gives some crucial points concerning dairy and acne. I tried all that he talks about years ago and it worked. So if you have any kind of advice how I could get even more “complete” protein in let me know.