T Nation

An Unpoliced World

Well, it started Tuesday. More American people have decided that being the global cop was a bad investment. Let the withdrawals begin…

Imperial Spain went bankrupt trying to be the hegemon, and it looks like we’re on that path. So, maybe have the cut-and-run crowd win is for the better.

Problem is: when no one steps up to be the cop, we get more terrorism, confication of international investments, less capital flows across borders, and an eventual Great Depression.

You pays yer money and ya takes yer choice.

Can I get a refund on the time I wasted reading that?

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
Well, it started Tuesday. More American people have decided that being the global cop was a bad investment. Let the withdrawals begin…

Imperial Spain went bankrupt trying to be the hegemon, and it looks like we’re on that path. So, maybe have the cut-and-run crowd win is for the better.

Problem is: when no one steps up to be the cop, we get more terrorism, confication of international investments, less capital flows across borders, and an eventual Great Depression.

You pays yer money and ya takes yer choice.[/quote]

How very liberal of you to want us to police the world.

You are not a conservative in any way shape or form.

[quote]pookie wrote:
[/quote]

I’m making an effort to be more civil, so I’ll simply say: since you purport to be so brilliant (though I don’t remember reading a thread started by you), are you not familiar with megapolitics? The works of John Dale Davidson? His ideas about the ebb and flow of power across the globe? Or are you simply full of insults?

[quote]Marmadogg wrote:
Headhunter wrote:

How very liberal of you to want us to police the world.

You are not a conservative in any way shape or form.[/quote]

What DO you think we’ve been doing or attempting to do, since 1945? How does observing the ebb and flow of power across the world prevent me from being a conservative?

The world has never been policed and nobody is willing to cede their authority to the US, so you keep on smoking whatever you are smoking…

And I thought the entertaining nutjob posts would end after the election.

I guess the world just isn’t meant to be policed, you know. I mean imagine how America would have felt in 1900 if Britain decided that since it has the largest empire in the world it is the global cop. We would have hated it and I guess other countries hate how we’re doing it now…

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

We’ll see if something worse than a waste of trillions on a pointless war that created more enemies than allies occurs.

Then we’ll talk.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
I’m making an effort to be more civil,[/quote]

More civil than what?

Me? Where have I purported that? I’m just another idiot.

They don’t give you access to the “Informed Debates and Smart Discussions” forums?

Do you mean metapolitics?

Of are you going on about the politics of Judge Dredd and MegaCity One?

Come to think of it, the Judge Dredd comic pretty much describes your utopia, doesn’t it?

All done with Ayn?

Among other things.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

What DO you think we’ve been doing or attempting to do, since 1945? How does observing the ebb and flow of power across the world prevent me from being a conservative?

[/quote]

“Being the cop” is a very flattering way of putting it. Perhaps more accurate to say we have been advancing and defending our own national interests.

This last ranges on a spectrum, and can mean anything from “helping to stabilize an important conflict close to Europe” (Kosovo) to “put up your hands and give me all your oil contracts” (Iraq).

In neither extreme do we seem to succeed particularly well unilaterally, i.e. acting cop-like. Nor does it seem we take much interest in crimes against humanity in a great many parts of the world (e.g. Africa, Indonesia). We make a very curious world policeman.

On the other hand, where important natural resources are concerned, intervention may of course be a matter of national survival, and the national interest is paramount. This century bids fair to be dominated by wars fought over control of the exploitation of natural resources.

To visualize ourselves as cops is too pretty by half. In reality, and for good reason, we’re more like the other side of that dynamic: we’re the mob. Like the Romans, we’re better organized and armed than the average criminal.

I’m not saying we can or should do much differently than we do now. The planet is going down the tubes under the weight of so much excess humanity (e.g. real good news this week for tuna lovers: the oceans are dying). So it’s desperate times alright; I just wish we’d look ourselves square in the face and see ourselves for what we are: human beings, trying to survive. I think the stories we tell ourselves about ourselves just get in the way of finding better solutions than the sort we’ve lately fastened on.

The make-believe we do about who we are renders the current, warlike and regrettable solutions … too comfortable.

Finally, when it comes to reducing the level of terrorism in the world, I think we now clearly see that armies don’t hack it; it takes a world of cops, not a cop of the world. Fighting terrorism is basically police work, and you want all the cops in the world on your side.

So in the end, I think this idea of the world needing “a” cop and that that cop is us is pretty hokey.

As for the idea that new leadership in Congress would stand in the way of national survival, well pish. Yes, yes, I know. Can it, the election is over. Wait at least until she’s sworn in. We can all have a nice holiday season.

Which I wish you all!

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

Only an idiot like you would make a post like this. I hope you choke. You really are a no talent assclown for even mentioning terrorism and Great Depression in the same sentence. If, that is, you consider starting that sentence with a colon a good idea.

Study grammar first. Then come here and post drivel on Spain.

I can tell by reading this pile of dung you managed to type, that you have already googled up some story about Spain to supposedly back up your worthless, hidden point. Here’s an idea. Instead of making everybody guess with wonder and awe about what the hell your talking about, how making a point first and then ask people what they can add to that?

Thank You,

[quote]pookie wrote:
They don’t give you access to the “Informed Debates and Smart Discussions” forums?
[/quote]

haha

If t-mag required an IQ score of at least 100 to post on any of the forums this place would be a ghost town.

Nothing but tumbleweeds.

[quote]Skystud wrote:
Headhunter wrote:

Only an idiot like you would make a post like this. I hope you choke. You really are a no talent assclown for even mentioning terrorism and Great Depression in the same sentence. If, that is, you consider starting that sentence with a colon a good idea.

Study grammar first. Then come here and post drivel on Spain.

I can tell by reading this pile of dung you managed to type, that you have already googled up some story about Spain to supposedly back up your worthless, hidden point. Here’s an idea. Instead of making everybody guess with wonder and awe about what the hell your talking about, how making a point first and then ask people what they can add to that?

Thank You,[/quote]

In his book The Great Reckoning, Davidson talks about how most people (like yourself) are like ants and can’t see the process. They are like little cogs in a vast machine, blissfully unaware of life around them. I suggest learning to read, plus an anger management course.

Please tell me about how us not being a global cop is gonna cause a Great Depression?

Since when do our trade agreements rest solely on where our military is?

You make absolutely no sense.

[quote]Ren wrote:
Please tell me about how us not being a global cop is gonna cause a Great Depression?

Since when do our trade agreements rest solely on where our military is?

You make absolutely no sense.[/quote]

When England ceased policing the world after WWI, confiscation of assets held abroad increased. Debtor countries began defaulting on their bonds held by foreigners. Trade barriers went up (remember Smoot-Hawley?), because Britain no longer had the power to knock them down or enforce the rules. Economies contracted, with a few exceptions, such as the United States. Produce prices and farmland began to lose value, as demand fell. Banks began failing and depression ensued.

The United States has bankrupted itself attempting to police the globe and enforce trade rules. With our military stretched thin, guy like the nutjob in Venezuela begin confiscations and tribal chiefs and terrorist are emboldened. The world slides into chaos. Since investors now see that their investments in the 3rd world are no longer safe, they begin retreating to ‘the center’, which is why our stock market is booming. A crash and collapse will soon follow.

" The Great Reckoning focuses on the tumultuous changes of the 1990’s. It explained why Russia would come to resemble a chaotic Latin American banana republic with hyperinflation, rampant corruption and crime; and how the breakdown of the old Soviet military command structure would increase the risk of nuclear proliferation. The book also predicted the Yugoslav civil war, the collapse of African states such as Somalia, the rise of Islamic fundamentalism and its hostility to the West, the growing fiscal crisis of the Western welfare states and the resultant downsizing of governments and slashing of benefits (just beginning), the rise of domestic terrorism in the US, and the threat of large-scale violence in America’s inner cities due to rise of a large criminal culture among the underclass ? aided and abetted by the welfare state. We got an early taste of the latter in 1992 with the Rodney King riots."

Have fun!

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
…because Britain no longer had the power to knock them down or enforce the rules. Economies contracted, with a few exceptions, such as the United States.[/quote]

So the US managed to thrive in an unpoliced world?

Not to mention looking for non-existent WMDs.

Again, your military would not be stretched thin if you didn’t send it on wild goose chases.

You might also be able to get your allies to pitch in, like in 1991 or in Kosovo or Afghanistan.

Multilateral policing is more easily accepted, too.

Corrections are common in the markets. There’s no need to go all “doom and gloom” about it.

If you have to go back 14 years to get an example, I’m not sure it’s a valid concern.

[quote]pookie wrote:
[/quote]

Honestly, if it’s a Headhunter thread, you should know better than to read it. So no refund for you - you know better.

You’re better off listening to the loons with the long white beards and shot out coats on streetcorners in NYC then you are listening to him.

[quote]pookie wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
…because Britain no longer had the power to knock them down or enforce the rules. Economies contracted, with a few exceptions, such as the United States.

So the US managed to thrive in an unpoliced world?

The United States has bankrupted itself attempting to police the globe and enforce trade rules.

Not to mention looking for non-existent WMDs.

With our military stretched thin, guy like the nutjob in Venezuela begin confiscations and tribal chiefs and terrorist are emboldened.

Again, your military would not be stretched thin if you didn’t send it on wild goose chases.

You might also be able to get your allies to pitch in, like in 1991 or in Kosovo or Afghanistan.

Multilateral policing is more easily accepted, too.

A crash and collapse will soon follow.

Corrections are common in the markets. There’s no need to go all “doom and gloom” about it.

and the threat of large-scale violence in America’s inner cities due to rise of a large criminal culture among the underclass ? aided and abetted by the welfare state. We got an early taste of the latter in 1992 with the Rodney King riots."

If you have to go back 14 years to get an example, I’m not sure it’s a valid concern.

[/quote]

It is fun to watch you embarrass him though Pookie… good job.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
pookie wrote:

Honestly, if it’s a Headhunter thread, you should know better than to read it. So no refund for you - you know better.

You’re better off listening to the loons with the long white beards and shot out coats on streetcorners in NYC then you are listening to him.[/quote]

Then why didn’t you do that? You’re here.

All communists are such a mass of contradictions…tsk, tsk,…

Do you even know what I was attempting to talk about? What a dumb POS.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

When England ceased policing the world after WWI, confiscation of assets held abroad increased. Debtor countries began defaulting on their bonds held by foreigners. Trade barriers went up (remember Smoot-Hawley?), because Britain no longer had the power to knock them down or enforce the rules. Economies contracted, with a few exceptions, such as the United States. Produce prices and farmland began to lose value, as demand fell. Banks began failing and depression ensued.

The United States has bankrupted itself attempting to police the globe and enforce trade rules. With our military stretched thin, guy like the nutjob in Venezuela begin confiscations and tribal chiefs and terrorist are emboldened. The world slides into chaos. Since investors now see that their investments in the 3rd world are no longer safe, they begin retreating to ‘the center’, which is why our stock market is booming. A crash and collapse will soon follow.

" The Great Reckoning focuses on the tumultuous changes of the 1990’s. It explained why Russia would come to resemble a chaotic Latin American banana republic with hyperinflation, rampant corruption and crime; and how the breakdown of the old Soviet military command structure would increase the risk of nuclear proliferation. The book also predicted the Yugoslav civil war, the collapse of African states such as Somalia, the rise of Islamic fundamentalism and its hostility to the West, the growing fiscal crisis of the Western welfare states and the resultant downsizing of governments and slashing of benefits (just beginning), the rise of domestic terrorism in the US, and the threat of large-scale violence in America’s inner cities due to rise of a large criminal culture among the underclass ? aided and abetted by the welfare state. We got an early taste of the latter in 1992 with the Rodney King riots."

Have fun!

[/quote]

Good point. When do you think our markets will tank? I’m thinking when the asians no longer want to buy our bonds.