An Uncommon Pursuit

looking real strong Skidmark!

Thanks Soldog - I see your poundages are moving up, too. Nice consistency.

Stop with the avatars! I’m still LMAO at this one. You’re getting stronger.

Okay - last one is up. No more.

Unless I find another good one…

[quote]skidmark wrote:
Thanks Soldog - I see your poundages are moving up, too. Nice consistency.[/quote]

Aye - when you start low on the ladder it is easier to move up…

[quote]soldog wrote:
skidmark wrote:
Thanks Soldog - I see your poundages are moving up, too. Nice consistency.

Aye - when you start low on the ladder it is easier to move up…[/quote]

Consistency wins out over starting elevation every time.

Someone’s beloved pet

http://www.T-Nation.com/forum_images/mytphotos/fullSize/235b5-DemonDog.jpg

…probably Satan’s

What causes D.O.M.S.

Thanks to Christian Thibaudeau for the link.

Discussion can be found in the Body Building forum in the Why Am I Always Sore thread

The implications of the information in the book explain, though not explicitly, why you can get amazingly strong with low reps without getting amazingly sore…

Apparently, the process of breaking down glycogen into ATP for cell energy has the secondary effect of releasing free radicals of oxygen into the tissues, causing cell damage and so muscle damage. The more oxygen you use to perform the work (e.g. replacing ATP) the more cell damage that occurs, which is exactly the situation in high rep sets. Lactic acid is the result of insufficient oxygenation - just a helpless bystander - and not the cause of D.O.M.S.

Or so I read it…

So - don’t breathe while you exercise. You’ll be glad you did.

edit:

I feel the need to mention that DOMS is also caused by Eccentric motion, usually overloading , inducing mechanical damage to the muscle fibres and causing an inflammatory response by the body as it tries to heal the muscle. The role free radicals play there may be to actually induce the inflammation signal so the body will rush-repair the damage. This is also mentioned by CT on the aforementioned thread.

2008-5-9

Abs and forearms

Suitcase DL and hold
145x40sec,20sec

Weighted Prone Planks
80x1min (?!)

Wrist curls
70 2x8, 1x10

Reverse DB curls
40’s 3x8

Wrist levers (2’ bar)
Front
1.25 2x10
Back
1.25 2x10

Face Pulls
80x10 (DBs on Chains, chest supported)
60x15 ( standing,minibands - no rest after DB’s)
60x20 (standing,mini bands - after 30sec rest)

Grip and traps are giving out before the obliques on the Suitcase DL. Changed to the one inch bar which is easier to hang on to.

Jumped 10 lbs on planks. Amazing what breakfast will do for you…

Wrist levers are stronger too. Gonna put a 2.5lber on the end next time.

Using the thumb on the reverse curls, because that is a natural aid. We’re not bodybuilding here, after all.

Found something that supports what I was saying here:
http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=2012699&pageNo=4#2120461
at 04-29-2008, 05:46 PM

“Hypertrophy with unilateral resistance exercise occurs without increases in endogenous anabolic hormone concentration”

Which indicates that hypertrophy can occur in a single muscle or set of muscles without doing the big bang exercises. In other words, you CAN make your arms bigger with curls and kickbacks…which we all knew anyway.

MSM and Chondroitin and Olive oil are also good things for us “experienced” lifters to take.
Stole the above from something you posted on another thread. MSM I’ve read a little about but could you expound a little on the other two? I finally started taking fish oil but that’s the extent of my supps.

Benefits of Fish Oil(which we all know)

In addition to omega-3 oils and essential oils, fish oil provides a surplus of Vitamin D which is needed for just about every important hormonal process in your body. The FDA guidelines on the RDA are so ridiculously low (400 IU) its a wonder we don’t all have thyroid and pituitary problems. You can dose up to 12000 to 25000 IU before Vit-D becomes toxic. 3000-5000 IU is a good level to be at. The improvement in immune function is by itself amazing.

The benefits of olive oil
http://www.healingdaily.com/detoxification-diet/olive-oil.htm
http://www.whatsfordinner.net/article-olive-oil.html (don’t miss the second page)

Chondroitin(Chondroitin sulfate) benefits
http://www.cactuscanyon.com/chondroitin-glucosamine.htm

MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane)
http://www.msmforless.com/benefits_msm.htm

Both Chondroitin and MSM are ways of getting sulfur into the body and thence into the cells.

You might want to look at the effects of zinc, magnesium and manganese supplementation.

zinc improves testosterone manufacture and fertility in men (and gives you some wild dreams when you get too much of it.)

Magnesium is involved in the relaxation phase of muscle contraction and must be balanced with calcium to prevent cramps. It helps with cardiac rhythm and in laying down calcium on the bones.

Manganese (along with zinc) seems to be involved in the creation of collagen (connective tissue) like skin and ligaments. It’s used in trace amounts but seems to have a large effect. It’s found in yams and other tuberous vegetables.

Sorry for the book. Hope that’s helpful.

Interesting stuff skidmark!

Are you doing your planks siffarmed or from your elbows? I ask because my arms/shoulders always give first if I do planks straight-armed.

On my elbows. I want to get to 100 lbs on planks, start doing prone hollows and then move the arms out over the head to as full extension as I can. Then my abs should be strong enough to put 200 lbs overhead from a standing start.

The push presses yesterday really worked my abdomen and that was only 80% of the weight I hope to do.

BTW - re: shoulder problems - I’ve been stretching the right side of my neck more and it seems to be helping my shoulder. There’s apparently a nerve plexus that feeds impulses to the shoulder/arm under the neck muscles that can become compressed if the neck gets too tight. Happens frequently to chronic keyborder/mousers, it seems. I’ve been stretching the right pec quite a bit, too.

I saw in one of your posts that bench dips don’t hurt you rshoulder as much as full dips. Might it be you are stressing your neck more on the latter? Interested in hearing what your doc says…

Egad!

I went to caloriecount.about.com to start a food log and track daily calories, got on the weight gain forums and they - each one- are populated by 14 year old anorexic girls!

Some of them post pictures of themselves and it is a heart-rending thing to see. I cannot fathom doing something like that to yourself. Fortunately, since they are on the weight gain forums, it appears they are getting help through therapy and high calorie diets.

The BMI calculator thinks I’m slightly overweight, BTW. After all - what sane person wants a BMI of over 25, eh?

If anyone’s interested in a cheap source of protein:

http://www.ostrichgrowers.com/retail.html

These folks sell ground ostrich meat in 12lb boxes for 6.79 per box. The protein content is higher than beef and the cholesterol is lower. Shipping is extra of course, but still?

I’m ordering some come payday. I think 100 lbs will do me for a while.

Saw a thread by a bunch of 'strines on the site talking gumming on knackered 'roo. Sounded interesting so I looked it up. 17-35 bucks a pound online for what is basically road-kill in Oz! I think not.

Anyway it got me thinking about odd meats to eat and I realized that ostriches are raised here in California. So I looked it up and the place I found above is only 90 miles from where I live. And the price is amazing.

I can eat ground BigBird for 50cents/lb for weeks on end…

Those must be some low-maintenance birds; put 'em in a near desert with some fence around 'em and let 'em eat what they can find, I guess. They’d kick the innards out of a mountain lion and can outrun everything else.

Can a guy get a job as an ostrich wrangler? Do you ride saddle-broken birds? Do you wear chaps?

I bet you have to wear a cup.

Thanks for the info. Made some interesting reading. When I was a kid all I had to do was take my One a day.

[quote]hel320 wrote:
Thanks for the info. Made some interesting reading. When I was a kid all I had to do was take my One a day.[/quote]

Shoot - if you’re eating mudbugs, you’re all taken care of.

[quote]skidmark wrote:
On my elbows. I want to get to 100 lbs on planks, start doing prone hollows and then move the arms out over the head to as full extension as I can. Then my abs should be strong enough to put 200 lbs overhead from a standing start.

The push presses yesterday really worked my abdomen and that was only 80% of the weight I hope to do.

BTW - re: shoulder problems - I’ve been stretching the right side of my neck more and it seems to be helping my shoulder. There’s apparently a nerve plexus that feeds impulses to the shoulder/arm under the neck muscles that can become compressed if the neck gets too tight. Happens frequently to chronic keyborder/mousers, it seems. I’ve been stretching the right pec quite a bit, too.

I saw in one of your posts that bench dips don’t hurt you rshoulder as much as full dips. Might it be you are stressing your neck more on the latter? Interested in hearing what your doc says…[/quote]

That is quite possible, but because this shoulder has had numerous impact injuries in the past, I’m betting on impingement or residual AC separation.

2008-5-10

Lower and Arms

Deep Squats
135x8
185x5
225x3
+Avg Bandsx3,3
325x1,1,1,1 (+10 over last time)

Anderson Partial Squat (pin 6 minus 3")
415x0,0,0
365x4,4,4,4 (looks like I have a mini max at this height. takes the quads out altogether)

Good Mornings (pin 5)
225x5,5,5

High/High Close Grip Bench (pin 3 bottoms up)
135x5
175x5
205x5,5,5 (each rep rested on pins)

DB Curls
50x5 (simultaneous alternation)
70x3,3,3
50x5